GBU 12 can't keep up with moving targets

Solo_Turk

This is not a larger CEP. A larger CEP would be the bomb landing in any direction around the target. This is not leading the bomb enough or not giving it enough energy to achieve the CEP. These things are not contradictions. You can have a 1 meter CEP weapon that if you try and employ it suboptimally it will not achieve 1 meter CEP. This is what is occuring here.

CEP's as small as 1 meter are also generally only for static targets.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KlarSnow said:

This is not a larger CEP. A larger CEP would be the bomb landing in any direction around the target. This is not leading the bomb enough or not giving it enough energy to achieve the CEP. These things are not contradictions. You can have a 1 meter CEP weapon that if you try and employ it suboptimally it will not achieve 1 meter CEP. This is what is occuring here.

so what do we need to give optimal parameters to bomb? I dropped at +450kts +20K altitude with f18, spot on ASL and released on countdown,  and missed. I'm saying I used to hit those shots with a10 at 10k-7 k. the bomb has something wrong at final phase I'm sure. it's tracking stupidly.Making an arch to target. I am giving everything to the bomb, speed, altitude, laser. It has never lost tracking. It had over 500kts speed before impact. Is gbu12 useless to moving targets? or should I control the wind on the air 🙂

f18 +400IAS 20K opposite-shot-to-tgt.trk

vor 1 Stunde schrieb KlarSnow:

Sorry, I misspoke, because I meant static targets with the question.

the GBU12 has always a CEP of 4-6m in DCS for static targets at 10knots wind.
But the source says 1m for these parrameters.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb KlarSnow:

Are you leading the target into the wind? or directly lasing the target. Lead it into the wind and you'll find you are hitting more.

This is a real issue with PW2's you must account for winds with your laser spot placement.

hm okay yes, I'm aiming directly at the target, I would have interpreted the description to mean that 10knots Wind can still be compensated for direct lasering and so it comes to 1m CEP.
but of course it could be meant that way, thank you.🙂

Of course, I had to check this for myself.  GBU10/12 - even w/o lead, impacted just behind the MBT, close enough for a kill.

GBU24 leads, albeit too much, hehe.  Impacted in front of the MBT, killing it.

Conditions for both cases:  MBT's moving at 35 kts. heading south.  The wind 20 kts, from the south.  Both attacks directly from behind the vehicles (55 kts. combined against my bombs).

Release altitude: between 3000 and 4000 AGL.   Power at MRT. (around 600 kts)

Using GBU24 from a bit higher altitude, both vehicles can be hit individually.  Switching laser aim works fairly easy.

Obviously, there are limits to everything... :glare:

Edited by oldcrusty

16 minutes ago, Flappie said:

The problem you see here, @oldcrusty, is that AI pilots stop lasing a few seconds before impact. A fix is in the oven.

You mean the fix for different scenarios described by other folks in this thread.  In my vid it's all self-lasing.  GBU10s were lased manually (TRIG) and GBU24s are all auto. There's a lot more to GBU24 'AUTO' then I initially thought :closedeyes: )

• 3 weeks later...
Am 27.11.2022 um 21:31 schrieb oldcrusty:

You mean the fix for different scenarios described by other folks in this thread.  In my vid it's all self-lasing.  GBU10s were lased manually (TRIG) and GBU24s are all auto. There's a lot more to GBU24 'AUTO' then I initially thought :closedeyes: )

Test it again

. There were changes in the update 🙂

Zitat

Weapons. Altitude and target speed strongly affect GBU-10/12/16 precision - fixed

22 hours ago, Hobel said:

Test it again

. There were changes in the update 🙂

I tested GBU12s, lofting from low alt.,  against a moving target (around 40 miles/h).  First release was at high speed - the bomb hit dead on.  The second release at around 340kts - the bomb still hit causing major damage (target: MBT).  So... I think there's some improvement there.   GBU24's seem to be leading too much (at least visually) but they were 100% effective.