air break cannot open

SUHANG

6 hours ago, SUHANG said:

hi guys, did anyone encounter such problems as the mig29 cannot open the airbreak? no matter on what speed, I press B and there is no any changes. This is really troublesome when I landing. The speed is so high I just bump up on the ground. 

As already mentioned, the air brake will not extend with the landing gear extended in green real aircraft. This is by design. If this is the only time you have an issue, that is why.

The MiG-29 is a very slick aircraft and you need to fly it accordingly. If making a straight in approach, your RPMs should be dialed back early and your speed brought down to approach speed before you start down the slope. Almost any turning approach is easier because you simply convert excess speed into Gs and don’t concern yourself with the air brake at all.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

thanks for the reply. I tried again this time. It is a in flight condition, without landing gear extended. Still the air break cannot open. My speed is about 600. Is it because of the speed is too hight? What a weird design then if the airbreak extension has an speed limit ?

1 hour ago, SUHANG said:

thanks for the reply. I tried again this time. It is a in flight condition, without landing gear extended. Still the air break cannot open. My speed is about 600. Is it because of the speed is too hight? What a weird design then if the airbreak extension has an speed limit ?

You probably have a centerline drop tank then = no airbrake.

Drop the tank to use the airbrake, or, more realistic, try some S turns before final to bring down speed. The -29 will lose speed quickly at high alpha turns at idle thrust. Usually one hard turn into final is enough to get on speed.

Edited by Aviator78
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SUHANG said:

I cannot remember how its simulated in DCS, but the real MiG-29 does have a speed limitation for the air brake - according to the Luftwaffe flight manual its 540 KIAS. I.e at speeds above this the air brake will not deploy and if already deployed, a blow-back feature will cause it to retract under the force of the airflow(in order to protect the actuators and the panels from warping.)

As already mentioned by others, the two other limitations are:

- landing gear extended (due to danger of the lower brake panel striking the runway during landing)

- carriage of the centerline external fuel tank (cannot recall the exact reason for that).

But then 540 KIAS corresponds to ~ 1000 km/h IAS and since you said that you didn't have the gear extended and that your flight speed was "about 600", that leaves the bit concerning the centerline tank 🙂 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, SUHANG said:

What a weird design then if the airbreak extension has an speed limit ?

It's very common. Higher speed can damage speedbrakes.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 11/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, SUHANG said:

Speed brakes (from my understanding) are not meant to slow down from Mach 1, but to prevent speed build up in a dive (CCIP bombing) or manage speed in a landing pattern.

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...

MiG-29 is very likely to reduce speed when you simply increase AOA for a moment. Real pilots sometimes even say that airbrake is absolutely not necessary at all on this aircraft.

This intense drag increase related with increase in AOA is typical on all aircraft with LEX (leading edge extension) and even more likely on delta wing aircrafts.

Wouldn't RL 29's retract the brake before actual touch down to prevent damaging the panel and other parts involved ? I would imagine so.

Maybe I find a YT vid of 29's touching down...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

48 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Wouldn't RL 29's retract the brake before actual touch down to prevent damaging the panel and other parts involved ? I would imagine so.

No, because they couldn't extend the speed brakes with gear down in the first place.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, BitMaster said:

Maybe I find a YT vid of 29's touching down…

🙂 There are plenty of those. Just not with the air brake extended…

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.