No radio audio, or Master caution audio, TCN beacon audio, etc, even though volume is turned up

RootBeerTuna
Go to solution Solved by Yurgon,

Just got gifted the A-10A and C and am slowly learning it, and have realized that none of my internal audio like my radios or warnings are working for some reason. I am running the latest beta with a few mods, so i suppose those could be causing issues maybe, but i just installed the A-10. Anyone have any ideas?

My audio settings are set to where it should be working, it works just fine in the F/A-18C. And i know the TCN will only sound when you have it selected, i had it selected, and locked in, yesterday because I was doing the training with it, but couldn't hear the Morse code that the guy said i should have been able to hear. 

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

What are your audio settings?
Not sure about master warning, but TACAN needs to be pulled up to hear it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Volume 70%

GUI 75

World 80

Cockpit 75

Helmet 100

Music 0

Switches 220

Edited by RootBeerTuna

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

My bad. I meant your outputs. Are all default in DCS?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Yes, my outputs are set to what i would use for DCS. I only have the one output. I did fix the radios, so i can hear those, by unchecking the option Hear like in helmet, but i still can't hear things like Master caution or the TCN beacon and all that stuff. I even tried uninstalling my mods, and repairing my game, no joy. 

• Solution
13 hours ago, RootBeerTuna said:

Just got gifted the A-10A and C and am slowly learning it, and have realized that none of my internal audio like my radios or warnings are working for some reason.

Can you give an example that should definitely work, but doesn't?

In the A-10C at least, there were a couple of changes over the years which may not be reflected in the training missions and in older tutorials.

For instance, the Master Caution no longer sounds the "beep beep beep" alarm; this audible alarm is now reserved to low speed flying with the gear up.

TACAN doesn't just need to be tuned to a TACAN station, now you also need to lift the TACAN knob on the comms panel on the left side of the cockpit. This button now defaults to the off position and a TACAN station's morse code identifier can't be heard by default.

So it's possible there is an audio problem with your installation, or maybe you're just following outdated tutorials.

Since you talked about mods, the things that players should always do first in case of problems (testing after each step if it solved the problem, by launching DCS, testing, and quitting DCS):

• Remove all mods
  • Run a DCS repair (Windows Start -> Eagle Dynamics -> Repair DCS World [OpenBeta])
  • Rename C:\Users\{Your Windows Username}\Saved Games\DCS [or DCS.openbeta]

If all of that fails, please record a short track or a video and share that with us.

Edit: Haha, overlap. 😉

Okay, you removed mods and repaired DCS, that's great! Master Caution and TACAN really sounds (*) like you're just following outdated advice.

(*) no pun intended 😄

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Can you give an example that should definitely work, but doesn't?

In the A-10C at least, there were a couple of changes over the years which may not be reflected in the training missions and in older tutorials.

For instance, the Master Caution no longer sounds the "beep beep beep" alarm; this audible alarm is now reserved to low speed flying with the gear up.

TACAN doesn't just need to be tuned to a TACAN station, now you also need to lift the TACAN knob on the comms panel on the left side of the cockpit. This button now defaults to the off position and a TACAN station's morse code identifier can't be heard by default.

So it's possible there is an audio problem with your installation, or maybe you're just following outdated tutorials.

Since you talked about mods, the things that players should always do first in case of problems (testing after each step if it solved the problem, by launching DCS, testing, and quitting DCS):

• Remove all mods
  • Run a DCS repair (Windows Start -> Eagle Dynamics -> Repair DCS World [OpenBeta])
  • Rename C:\Users\{Your Windows Username}\Saved Games\DCS [or DCS.openbeta]

If all of that fails, please record a short track or a video and share that with us.

Edit: Haha, overlap. 😉

Okay, you removed mods and repaired DCS, that's great! Master Caution and TACAN really sounds (*) like you're just following outdated advice.

(*) no pun intended 😄

Ok, that might be the case then, because the video I'm watching, AND Chucks Guide, says that when i start the engine, the master caution should make an audible sound and i should have to cancel it before moving on to engine 2, so it could just be outdated information. As for the TCN beacon, i guess i did not have it lifted up, or turned up, because i just double checked on another cold and dark startup tutorial and i managed to get it to work, so thank you. I will mark it as solved. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RootBeerTuna said:

Ok, that might be the case then, because the video I'm watching, AND Chucks Guide, says that when i start the engine, the master caution should make an audible sound and i should have to cancel it before moving on to engine 2, so it could just be outdated information.

Yeah, that happens when the first engine AC generator kicks in and now the APU Generator automatically goes out with the APU Generator switch still in the PWR position, and the jet generates a Master Caution and the APU GEN warning lights up on the Caution Light Panel.

Previously, any Master Caution sounded the beep-beep-beep, but it no longer does that, the Master Caution is now a quiet event (this reflects the real aircraft, following feedback from Subject Matter Experts). Of course you should still cancel the Master Caution at this stage, so that any subsequent flashing of the Master Caution button catches your attention.

However, you can trigger the beep-beep-beep with the Caution Light Test, as this also triggers the alarm for the gear not being down and locked when the jet thinks the gear really should be down (I don't recall the exact conditions, but I think it's airspeed below 150 KIAS and engines below 80% Core RPM or so for this alarm to go off during flight).

In both of these cases (Caution Light Test, or during flight) it should be possible to silence the beep-beep-beep alarm by hitting the L/G WRN SILENCE button on the throttle quadrant, next to the right throttle (but it'll sound again whenever the alarm condition goes away and comes back).

7 hours ago, RootBeerTuna said:

As for the TCN beacon, i guess i did not have it lifted up, or turned up, because i just double checked on another cold and dark startup tutorial and i managed to get it to work

Excellent! 👍

Edited by Yurgon
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Yeah, that happens when the first engine AC generator kicks in and now the APU Generator automatically goes out with the APU Generator switch still in the PWR position, and the jet generates a Master Caution and the APU GEN warning lights up on the Caution Light Panel.

Previously, any Master Caution sounded the beep-beep-beep, but it no longer does that, the Master Caution is now a quiet event (this reflects the real aircraft, following feedback from Subject Matter Experts). Of course you should still cancel the Master Caution at this stage, so that any subsequent flashing of the Master Caution button catches your attention.

However, you can trigger the beep-beep-beep with the Caution Light Test, as this also triggers the alarm for the gear not being down and locked when the jet thinks the gear really should be down (I don't recall the exact conditions, but I think it's airspeed below 150 KIAS and engines below 80% Core RPM or so for this alarm to go off during flight).

In both of these cases (Caution Light Test, or during flight) it should be possible to silence the beep-beep-beep alarm by hitting the L/G WRN SILENCE button on the throttle quadrant, next to the right throttle (but it'll sound again whenever the alarm condition goes away and comes back).

Excellent! 👍

Awesome, thank you for the very detailed explanation, I absolutely love coming to the forum's for this, so thank you again. 

On 11/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, Yurgon said:

LOL, I always wondered why that happens, thanks 🙂