F18 Campaign Recommendations

Ranger1882

Hi All

I've just finished all of the training and core missions in the standard DCS F18 and Super Carrier modules, and am now thinking of buying a couple of paid for add-on campaigns.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Are there any 'must do' campaigns?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

My number 1 recommendation doesn't involve the carrier, but has a great story and excellent, highly detailed supporting material: Operation Cerberus North

After that, I recommend the Raven One campaigns, which are both carrier-based.

• Like 1

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I’m just finishing Operation Cerberus North and agree it is really good….finding targets and avoiding air defence are challenging through most of it without being impossible for a novice like me. Final mission is really beating me at the moment as it seems like it’s never the same…probably just my frustration :-)

I didn’t get any major AI issues but I know some campaigns are suffering due to core DCS AI bugs in Open Beta. So if you are also in Beta OCN is a good option.

I did the free Serpent’s head before, although not very well, so I’m planning to try Serpent’s head 2 next rather than Raven One as I’ve not mastered AAR yet.

In no particular order:

Raven One
Raven One Dominant Fury
Bold Cheetah
Operation Cerberus North

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Badger's campaigns are excellent especially for new Hornet flyers. They start off not too complex and gain in complexity the further you go. I have learned a lot flying his campaigns.

There is currently the freeware The Serpents Head campaign, a nice 6 mission introduction, then there is the pay-ware follow up - The Serpents Head 2 which is fantastic. And then there is Rise of the Persian Lion which is also great. I have had many hours of fun and learned a lot from flying these three campaigns. All utilize the Super Carrier which I love!

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Badger's campaigns are excellent especially for new Hornet flyers. They start off not too complex and gain in complexity the further you go. I have learned a lot flying his campaign

Concurr.  Excellent Hornet missions and voice work on the payware.

Also, and no small point, very easy on VR FPS.

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I bought Raven One first and found it to be a bit of a challenge for a low time pilot like me. I am enjoying the hell out of Persian Lion and it has greatly improved my understanding and knowledge about the systems on the Hornet. I also recommend Rising Squall for the training mission that comes with it. I’m really looking forward to finishing Persian Lion before jumping into Rising Squall. I think after that I will be ready for Raven One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on all that has been said (except Serpent Head 1&2, too "arcady" for me, but it's a matter of taste). Note that most require additional maps (Persian Gulf and Syria) and usually Supercarrier too. I can't recommend Bold Cheetah enough, it's free and on-par with if not better than most paid stuff.

I'll just add two free campaigns (from the User Files) : Eastern Friendship (Hornet Edition) and Interceptor, both on the Caucasus map. Ground ops. Ah, and Operation Resolute Spear, somewhat repetitive but good practice, for Syria and Supercarrier.

Have fun !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuzzLine said:

I'll just add two free campaigns (from the User Files) : Eastern Friendship (Hornet Edition) and Interceptor, both on the Caucasus map. Ground ops. Ah, and Operation Resolute Spear, somewhat repetitive but good practice, for Syria and Supercarrier.

Weblinks please...reward my laziness.  😄

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.