What to practice until release of the Corsair

Devil 505

So as I am sure most Corsair enthusiast already know, Blackbird Simulations has already released the Whistling Death on MSFS.  I finally bit the big one and bought it waiting for Magnitude to push theirs out of the hangar.  I highly recommend if you want to get a jump, especially in VR, learning how to start her up and fly her giving this a shot.  I absolutely cant wait to see Magnitude spread this girls wings in DCS.  I took a quick flight this morning around Wake Island.  Magnitude, lets get this girl moving, DCS is home and the Marianas needs this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ive been flying the Milviz F4U around for a few months. Kinda interested in seeing how it stacks up with theirs, but reality I NEED M3 to finish theirs. MeneedsmeCorsairfix.

• Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Ive been flying the Milviz F4U around for a few months. Kinda interested in seeing how it stacks up with theirs, but reality I NEED M3 to finish theirs. MeneedsmeCorsairfix.

Could not agree more! I think M3 will come out on top for sure.  Just hope we have the whistling effect when diving.  Sounds are everything with WW2 birds.

• Like 1

Took a flight around Espiritu Santo, the Island the Black Sheep were stationed on during the war.  I would love to see ED or a third party incorporate the South Pacific Islands in the future.  So many untapped potential there for new aircraft and battlefields on land, sea, and air.  This is a taste of what it could look like lifting off in the morning to go intercept a Japanese group.

22 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Damned if I know what you can fly meantime but Whistling Death is my all time fav fighter...go see the movie Devotion.

Looking forward to this movie.  Glad you reminded me of it.  I think I know what I will be doing with the wife this weekend.

I've been in the P-47 getting big American radial practice seeing that both Corsair and Thunderbolt use variants of the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp. I'm sure there are going to be stark differences but I feel having a healthy familiarity will definitely help.  

• 1 month later...

I was considering the FS2020 route for practice but the VR performance is substantially worse than DCS on my system.

In DCS I would say to fly two warbirds:

- P-47D for the basic American radial workflow, boom-and-zoom tactics, and A2G employment

- Something squirrely like the Spitfire or K-4 to get used to raw warbird handling on the ground and in the air, since the P-47 is exceptionally stable and easy to fly/taxi 

12 hours ago, Nealius said:

- Something squirrely like the Spitfire or K-4 to get used to raw warbird handling on the ground and in the air, since the P-47 is exceptionally stable and easy to fly/taxi 

The P-47 might as well be a freight train on the ground.  I remember testing it out and realizing I can slam on the brakes and not flip the tail up.

I think that's actually one of the techniques to abort a takeoff: Hit differential brakes to induce a ground loop. You just stop and expend all your energy on doing a donut on the runway. At least that was what was demonstrated on a period training video. Try that in a Spit or 109 and you'll tip over.

Edited by Nealius

One thing I did a couple of years ago, was to download a Mod of a WW2 aircraft carrier and practice carrier landings in the Spit.

Clearly you'll have no arrestors, which is why I used the Spit, as it has a lower stall speed and can stop on a WW2 carrier.  It was useful to practice the approach on a carrier in a warbird.  The key issue being the length of the nose, which when you're in for landing really obscures the view.  The options are to land just after completing a turn, or to crab in using yaw from the rudder to allow you to point the nose to one side such that you can see the ship.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, Spurts said:

The P-47 might as well be a freight train on the ground.  I remember testing it out and realizing I can slam on the brakes and not flip the tail up.

Original P-47 almost has no brakes 🙂 They tend to overheat fast.
The ones in DCS seems to be ... too efective. I love P-47 from DCS 🙂 can't get my hands off it. Big, Fat, Ugly but very Tender Girl. That's what it is. Absolutely love it. How F-4U will be?

Edited by 303_Kermit