Is the A-10C II module worth to get??

scommander2

I am wondering that the AG tasks can be performed by F-16, F/A-18, or F-14,  is there a good reason to A-10C II to so the AG task?

Or, A-10C II has something other planes can't perform?

Thanks.

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

If the threat level is low-medium there is no other aircraft on the planet that can kill as effectively and efficently than the Warthog. If you're into A-G then this module is a must have! It outstanding HOTAS and sensor integration give it incredible situational awareness and sensor-to-shoot capabilities.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If the threat level is low-medium there is no other aircraft on the planet that can kill as effectively and efficently than the Warthog. If you're into A-G then this module is a must have! It outstanding HOTAS and sensor integration give it incredible situational awareness and sensor-to-shoot capabilities.
This,

There only one thing you will never get from the hog and that is speed, meaning that you can get quickly into troubles if there are enemy fighters out there and you have no CAP protection.

Other than that, is a bomb truck if you need it, amazing maneuverability at low level low speed, can be on patrol for hours (I'm exaggerating a little but it feels like that compared to a F18/F16 on a low Cas mission). Wonderful HOTAS integration, and off course there is nothing more fun or rewarding than Brrrrrrrrrting an enemy tank from above.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

9 hours ago, scommander2 said:

is there a good reason to A-10C II to so the AG task?

It depends a bit on the task at hand.

The A-10 excels at the jobs it was designed to do:

• Killing tanks
  • Close Air Support (CAS)
  • Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR)
  • Forward Air Controller, Airborne (FACA) aka Airborne Forward Air Controller (AFAC)

First of all, the aircraft has a bunch of features to help it perform all of the above (some of them were fielded more or less recently, most of them were there from the start).

• Long loiter time
  • Excellent maneuverability
  • Large weapon payload and weapon variety
  • "Signature" weapons AGM-65 Maverick and of course the 30mm GAU-8 with its 1000+ rounds of ammo
  • Survivability, redundancy (the pilot's titanium "bathtub", among many other features) and ruggedness
  • Sensor and HOTAS integration
  • Helmet Mounted Cueing System
  • Situational Awareness Datalink
  • Tactical Awareness Display with moving map features for enhanced situational awareness

Flying the A-10 in DCS is pretty easy, though it does require a fair amount of hand-flying because it's only got a rudimentary autopilot. But it handles great.

Understanding it and flying it well takes a lot of time and practice, but that's certainly true for most DCS modules. 😉

The other thing about the A-10 and its community is that the pilots are all specialized in the above mentioned tasks. They don't have to learn all the ins and outs of SEAD or DEAD, deep strikes and all that fancy stuff, and Air-to-Air basically consists of "create problems for the enemy and survive until help shows up".

So the A-10 will never replace allrounders like Viper and Hornet, because it can only do part of what they can do. But it's really good at doing its core job, which very simply put is protecting the boots on the ground.

The module in DCS is simply fantastic and totally worth it, and works very well together with the other airframes. 👍

• Like 6

The Scorpion HMCS is a generation newer than the JHMCS in the Hornet and Viper.  It adds much more awareness in comparison.  For starters, it can see friendly units that use locator beacons (and is the only aircraft able to do so AFAIK).

The A-10 can remain over a relevant area for hours, while the Hornet and Viper will need to constantly go back to the tanker or airfield.

The module itself is well developed and flies well.

• Like 2

Great loiter time, no FBW andso you are FLYING this jet...trouble is, it's underpowered andso cant out turn missiles, also ANY jet carrying a A2A missile OWNS the Hawg, hell a Sabre could smoke it.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 1 month later...

I would say that the quality alone of the module makes it more than worth the while. It's a really nice finished product.

Love the avionics package to do the dirty work. It's not a turn and burn aircraft, it's only burn 😄

<---Me old F4 Falcon BMS die hard pilot

Edited by Mav87th
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rewis.C said:

Guys with AKs can bring you down. Until they fix the damage model I'd pass.

I know the A-10 is famous for its low and slow handling characteristics, but if you're getting hammered by AKs, maybe you're too low. It's not the Viggen after all. 😄

• Like 3

The A-10s reputation for being  so survivable is because of built in redundancy and engine placement which makes it less susceptible to fire and loss of control which is the primary killers of aircraft historically. That doesn’t mean it’s invincible. Just that you don’t necessarily have to eject when your engine catches fire. 

none of that means you can have bad tactics and make it home alive. 

• Like 1

Simply, yes.

Don't know about AK47 shooting one down, this was a Shilka that caught me sneaking round the side of a Hill. Tons of airframe damage, one engine and no gear. I still walked away from the wheels up landing.

Shilka strikes again!.jpg

Edited by Lee1
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 9:56 AM, scommander2 said:

I am wondering that the AG tasks can be performed by F-16, F/A-18, or F-14,  is there a good reason to A-10C II to so the AG task?

Or, A-10C II has something other planes can't perform?

Thanks.

The A10's role is one that requires more knowledge of everyone's elses role.  Hopefully there will be some upcoming improvements to further assist with this but as it stands now, still can multi-task in almost any threat environment. 

1. AFAC or FAC(A)

2. CSAR

3. CAS (Hopefully with upcoming changes in infantry and damage modeling there will be significant improvement here)

There are some good helicopter mods out there for downed Pilots and hopefully someone helps model rewarding CSAR mission scripts for other CSAR aircraft.

• Like 2