AH-64D how to play with a friend without « port forwarding »

Flanky83
Go to solution Solved by Flanky83,

Dear all

I want to offer the DCS Apache to a friend. As this is a multicrew aircraft, the idea was to play/traine together, always on the apache in multiplayer.

Now we tried the first option, which is to host a serveur. This is not possible as both of our routers cannot « port forward »(public IP only).

I’m now unsure what other options we have to train/fly together in the same Apache online.

Is someone in the same situation and found a workaround?

Edited by Flanky83

Who is your ISP and what makes you think you can not portforward. A Public IP is fine. does your ISP Block Port Forwarding?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Public IP is what you actually need so you can port forward. If you don't have public IP (for example if you are in CGNAT) then your port forwards wouldn't work.

Also, only the host needs to do the forwarding. Your friend that would connect to your server doesn't need to do any of that.

@Flanky83

You should not need your internet providers permission to port forward. This is something that is done on the router at your home through the settings. About 10 years ago I did have a router from my internet provider that I had to log in online to accomplish the port forwarding but with any modern router you should be able to do it just fine.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

24 minutes ago, Flanky83 said:

I have to admit that I don’t fully understand yet the “port forwarding”, but we called our internet provider and got the confirmation that we cannot port forward. So hosting is not an option.

Its pretty easy actually, and all done in your home router. I am not convinced my ISP would provide much correct information over the phone. I suppose there may be some examples of where this is not possible, so a public server will be your choice.

Easier option would be to use Hamachi. Effectively creates a VPN between you and your mate (or multiples) haven't used it for years but it's very simple to get going. One of you host, one joins. Can't attest to the latency or resultant performance though. Give it a whirl...

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

12 hours ago, Flanky83 said:

I expected more people in the same situation than me

Like others have said: Port forwarding is possible with almost all modern routers, so there shouldn't be many people in such a situation.

What's the router modell you use? If it's a modell I'm familiar with I can tell you how to set up the port forwarding.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

As mentioned above, CGNAT is becoming more common in some areas, and there are many smaller rural ISPs that don’t hand out public IPs to their end-users, both in the US and abroad.

For example, Starlink uses CGNAT and does not support incoming VPN connections, or presumably, port forwarding.

If you look at the WAN IP address that was assigned to your router, and it starts with any of these, you are probably out of luck.

10.xxx.xxx.xxx

192.168.xxx.xxx

100.xxx.xxx.xxx 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flanky83 said:

Here we go. That’s my router: Link

So Salt in Switzerland (at least) are using CGNAT. as @Floyd1212 mentioned... You'll need to look at the status page of your router, see what IP address is assigned to your "WAN" interface". If it's in one of the ranges he mentions, then you’re out of luck port forwarding wise, BUT you could still try Hamachi. If you have an address that isn't in the range listed, then port forwarding may work. There is also a possibility you have an IPv6 address which is this format FE80:CD00:0000:0CDE:1257:0000:211E:729C (this is the long version).

Salt and possible workarounds:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/attention-salt-users-in-switzerland-cg-nat-blocks-port-forwarding-workarounds-required-see-staff-post/213927

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

58 minutes ago, Flanky83 said:

Here we go. That’s my router: Link

Ok, that's rather uncommon 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes just join a public server there are quite a few good ones and the best part neither of you will need to worry about forwarding any ports as only a host server needs to do that not a client..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

2 hours ago, Flanky83 said:

So I tried with IPv6. It doesn’t work or I don’t understand anymore… Why is it so complicated😤

Uhm, I might be wrong, but AFAIK in DCS IPv6 is not compatible wth IPv4, so if you have IPv6 you can only join IPv6 servers and if you have IPv4 you can only join IPv4 servers. So your buddy needs IPv6 as well...

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

vor 2 Minuten schrieb QuiGon:

Uhm, I might be wrong, but AFAIK in DCS IPv6 is not compatible wth IPv4, so if you have IPv6 you can only join IPv6 servers and if you have IPv4 you can only join IPv4 servers.

as soon as IPv4 is enabled both are possible, why no idea.

I only know after I called my provider and asked to unlock IPv4 for me anyone could join my server.

before that nothing worked🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hobel said:

as soon as IPv4 is enabled both are possible, why no idea.

I only know after I called my provider and asked to unlock IPv4 for me anyone could join my server.

before that nothing worked🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure I understand: What type of internet connection do you have now? IPv4 only or Dual Stack (IPv4 and IPv6 in parallel)?

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, zildac said:

Easier option would be to use Hamachi. Effectively creates a VPN between you and your mate (or multiples) haven't used it for years but it's very simple to get going. One of you host, one joins. Can't attest to the latency or resultant performance though. Give it a whirl...

Open vpn is a death sentence to all security. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also if possible, get your own router and the details from your isp, if they allow it. 

Most common isp's won't becuase 99 out of 100 will break their connection and blame the isp. 

Any public dcs server and just fly the other way if you just want to practice. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]