F-16A Fighting Falcon

Kazansky222

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, F-2 said:

Block 15 doesn’t really have any advantage looking at the EM charts I have, block 10 does. No em chart though apparently they are still classified I do have a book on the subject that compares the 10 to the 30.

Block 10 still had original small tail optimised for maneuvering. Block 10 was the variant which achieved some 2/3 of all F-16 air kills ever.

11 hours ago, Mig Fulcrum said:

Really? On which side? Israel?

Yes, Israeli bought 75 F-16A Block 10 in 1978 and used them with great success in air combat shooting down MiGs with guns and Sidewinders. The same Block 10s were used for ground attacks as well, including attack on Osirak Baghdad nuclear reactor installation in 1981.

• Thanks 1

2 ore fa, bies ha scritto:

Yes, Israeli bought 75 F-16A Block 10 in 1978 and used them with great success in air combat shooting down MiGs with guns and Sidewinders. The same Block 10s were used for ground attacks as well, including attack on Osirak Baghdad nuclear reactor installation in 1981.

Nice, didn't know about that but remember that all block 10 has been upgraded to block 15 standard, so maybe part of those kills were made by block 10 that were in fact block 15

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This one would need some investment, since a good external model of the F-16A is non-existent in DCS at the moment, but otherwise should be relatively easy to make.  A very nicely detailed and textured cockpit model already exists for the F-16A (not in DCS though, it's available for download on the web).  For any mod team out there willing to give this a shot, it should be just a matter of investing in a good external model and building standalone avionics in the same way as the A-29B Super Tucano mod, albeit extended to include a simple radar and the ability to interface with and employ AGM-45 and AGM-65IR/TV variants.  Flight model would be a bit different from the F-16C currently in DCS, mostly since the F-16A has the P&W F100 and is significantly lighter than the F-16C with the GE F110.

File:General Dynamics F-16A Block 5 Fighting Falcon 78-0025.jpg - Wikipedia

General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon > National Museum of the United  States Air Force™ > Display

Theoretically a simplified version sans radar could be made using A-10A avionics, but this one probably deserves to be standalone.

• Like 4

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@SpinosSimulations

System Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3060, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat

+1, though a thread already exists covering the F-16A.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/f-16-8be8ab656304467eb6ddcbb244ae8574

This isn't the greatest 3D model of an F-16, but it appears to be an F-16A, not totally sure which block though.  Block 10 would be the one that I would like most, one of the big reasons for having an F-16A is the greater maneuverability it offers over the C.  

Website (DCS Content): https://sites.google.com/view/spinossimulationsite/home?authuser=0

DCS Wishlist: F-8E/J Crusader, Kola Peninsula Map, F-14B(U), F-14D/ST-21 Super Tomcat

8 hours ago, Spino said:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/f-16-8be8ab656304467eb6ddcbb244ae8574

This isn't the greatest 3D model of an F-16, but it appears to be an F-16A, not totally sure which block though.  Block 10 would be the one that I would like most, one of the big reasons for having an F-16A is the greater maneuverability it offers over the C.  

Nah, that's a C of some description (F110) and way too low quality for a paid-for module.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Nah, that's a C of some description (F110) and way too low quality for a paid-for module.

On closer inspection, you're right.  It is a C with the F110.  I was mostly looking for the lack of blade antennas on top of the nose.  Definitely not a quality model.

Hey @Spino do you think a Block 52 would be a better option? F-16As would probably give us nice toying with the "Max Power" switch, but the Block 52 is no different than the Block 50 save for a few minor engine changes which have been modeled by the IDF mods team for the F-16I so it'd be a lot more easy.

Edited by SilentSparrow

8 hours ago, SilentSparrow said:

Hey @Spino do you think a Block 52 would be a better option? F-16As would probably give us nice toying with the "Max Power" switch, but the Block 52 is no different than the Block 50 save for a few minor engine changes which have been modeled by the IDF mods team for the F-16I so it'd be a lot more easy.

Yeah, but then we've mostly got the same aircraft systems wise, especially if you're talking about a CM Block 52 of the same era. Sure - from that perspective, a lot of it would be copy and paste the current aircraft, but then there's probably very small incentive for players to purchase it (unless you were offering it for something like $5 if you already own the current F-16C).

The A is a staple Cold War fighter so it has more historical appeal, As and Bs of every block were based at Bodø main air station on the upcoming Kola map and so an A would fit very well.

• Like 3

System:

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yeah, but then we've mostly got the same aircraft systems wise, especially if you're talking about a CM Block 52 of the same era. Sure - from that perspective, a lot of it would be copy and paste the current aircraft, but then there's probably very small incentive for players to purchase it (unless you were offering it for something like $5 if you already own the current F-16C).

The A is a staple Cold War fighter so it has more historical appeal, As and Bs of every block were based at Bodø main air station on the upcoming Kola map and so an A would fit very well.

I think you pretty much nailed it.  The Israelis used the F-16A Block 10, USAF was pushing them into service as fast as it could to replace older aircraft during the '80s, and so on.  Not to mention the F-16A was limited to AIM-9P initially, and no radar missiles, so it would be kind of like a better F-5E all around.  There's a fantastic F-16A cockpit out on Sketchfab for FREE, the problem is we need a good external model, FM, and avionics to go with it.

• Like 2

I get it. The F-16A would be interesting. I'd say that a Block 52 would have to be bundled with the F-16 Block 50 if ED makes it. It's so little work that it'd be a free upgrade. Some others have gotten a weird popup on their DCS homepage of an F-16A module (Which doesn't exist right now) so what was that about?

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, Spino said:

This one would need some investment, since a good external model of the F-16A is non-existent in DCS at the moment, but otherwise should be relatively easy to make.  A very nicely detailed and textured cockpit model already exists for the F-16A (not in DCS though, it's available for download on the web).  For any mod team out there willing to give this a shot, it should be just a matter of investing in a good external model and building standalone avionics in the same way as the A-29B Super Tucano mod, albeit extended to include a simple radar and the ability to interface with and employ AGM-45 and AGM-65IR/TV variants.  Flight model would be a bit different from the F-16C currently in DCS, mostly since the F-16A has the P&W F100 and is significantly lighter than the F-16C with the GE F110.

File:General Dynamics F-16A Block 5 Fighting Falcon 78-0025.jpg - Wikipedia

General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon > National Museum of the United  States Air Force™ > Display

Theoretically a simplified version sans radar could be made using A-10A avionics, but this one probably deserves to be standalone.

🤩 Gaawwww... that'd be so sweet.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:51 PM, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

This would've been the Viper I would have picked from the get-go, much to the chagrin of everyone wanting to fight Allied Force or GWOT all over again for the 4,000th time.

I think so too.
Much as I love the more modern "C" module, and everytime I'm on it, it's the original CW-era F-16A in DCS that I keep wanting.
And maybe it would have made more sense to have that instead, considering the rest of the content. 

• Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

🤩 Gaawwww... that'd be so sweet.

I think so too.
Much as I love the more modern "C" module, and everytime I'm on it, it's the original CW-era F-16A in DCS that I keep wanting.
And maybe it would have made more sense to have that instead, considering the rest of the content. 

While more modern modules may seem more capable and cool  I have come to the conclusion that early cold war variants would be easier to learn, more useful in historic and other fictional scenarios against other cold war opponents because its more fleshed out.

• Like 3