Mission 9 Issue

• 2 weeks later...

@Reflected

I have come back to the campaign again to see what has changed. Love the campaign generally but I had the same problem with Turban Red Leader blocking the runway. I am no mission creator, but I think it is because he is waiting to follow Gimlet Red Leader as he is set to do. However, he is leading the mission in this hop! I went into the mission in Mission Editor and changed his take-off designation to take off from runway and the mission ran OK. Usual wild turns etc above the field but once it sorted itself out, we were able to follow Turban Red, in formation.

In recent Open Beta builds (2.8.1.34437 - 2.8.1.34667.2), I have been observing the opposite issue, where in the blue AI does not orbit Biggens Hill waiting for the squadron and player to join up.

• Turban Red takes off 3 minutes into mission, followed quickly by Gimlet Blue-1-2, Gimlet Blue-1-3, and Turban Red4; they circle Biggens Hill twice and then head for France.
  • Gimlet Red waits for space-bar signal, then taxis and departs Biggens Hill. This is usually about 11 minutes into the mission for me, as it takes about that long to get the engine oil to 40 degrees. Player and all remaining blue AI depart Biggens Hill in a long line with a heading of 150 degrees, no orbiting.
  • Turban Red, Gimlet Blue-1-2, Gimlet Blue-1-3, and Turban Red4 arrive at Abbeville 39 minutes into mission, just as the Bostons cross the French coastline at Somme Bay.
  • Turban Red, Gimlet Blue-1-2, Gimlet Blue-1-3, and Turban Red4 depart Abbeville to RTB at 43 minutes into mission, just as Gimlet Red, player, and remaining blue AI arrive at Abbeville.
  • Red AI bandits begin circling Abbeville, and blue AI all RTB at 44 minutes.

This isn't specific to Sortie 9 (and likely not this campaign, but I didn't test others). This results in a long line of blue AI crossing the channel rather than in formation. However, this is a great way to shoot down a whole pile of defenseless red bandits as they slowly orbit Abbeville! Playing stable version or rolling back to  DCS 2.7.18.30765 Stable or 2.8.0.33006 Open Beta resolves this behavior. Unfortunately, doing so discards the recent Spitfire and Beware Beware Beware updates in 2.8.1.34437 Open Beta and the blue AI may get stuck on the taxiway.

This does not appear to be a Beware bug, but I don't know enough about the mission mechanics to make an intelligent bug report to ED.

TacView screenshot below is 39 minutes into Beware Beware Beware mission 9 on DCS World 2.8.1.34667.2 Open Beta.image.png

Edited by Pyrocumulous
correct typographical error

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

@Pyrocumulous I just replayed the mission and everything worked as briefed. Wing Co Dicky Milne got airborne at 1250h as briefed,  I was wheels up at 12:53 right after Sq Ldr Armstrong. We rejoined over the field and set course at 1257 sharp. These times can be found on the briefing Chalkboard and the kneeboard as well. The whole wing was together, 341 in front, 611 slightly above, behind and to the right.

Screen_221225_093719.jpg

You see these big shows need precision timing, there are lots of squadrons and wings involved, not just the Biggin Hill wing, everything has to go like clockwork. If you took 11 minutes to warm your engine, that means it was well past the briefed set course time. Because Armstrong was waiting for you, it delayed everyone with a domino effect. But Dicky decided to head out anyway and not wait for Gimlet.

So the thing here is you need to be quicker. You don't need 40 degrees of oil, the WW2 pilots notes specifies 15-20 degrees minimum. At 15 you can taxi out and by the time you take off it will be at 20. Also, make sure you warm up the engine properly. Apply oil dilution to lower oil pressure to enable a higher RPM and therefore a quicker warm up. Check my tutorial here:

Edited by Reflected

Thanks for the tips, I was going at 15-20° in missions 8 and 9, but ED folks pointed out that was causing the engine degradation issues that I was blaming on overcooling. I’ll work on picking up the pace with oil dilution, thanks for all your work!

• Like 1

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

4 hours ago, Pyrocumulous said:

Thanks for the tips, I was going at 15-20° in missions 8 and 9, but ED folks pointed out that was causing the engine degradation issues that I was blaming on overcooling. I’ll work on picking up the pace with oil dilution, thanks for all your work!

That’s the coolant temperature, not the oil