Opinion: Where do you put your gaming PC?

I am getting an airflow case. I am wondering where I should put it:

On the desk/table? or

On the floor?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 minute ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

On the desk/table? or

On the floor?

through my years as an IT guy i have learned that putting the pc on the floor can pick up lots of dust. especially if there are pets involved. i have mine on the desk. with that said, if you have to have it under the desk, put it on something to raise it above the floor. the further up, the better. either place does not necessarily mean lesser airflow. it all about having access to the fans without anything in front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

What does it mean airflow case is that the model of it or something.. I put mine up on a coffee table to eliminate dust and dirt from the floor. if you have pets keep it up but maybe not gonna help if you have roaming cats..

• Thanks 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

If you're gonna leave it on the floor, I highly recommend some add-on case and fan dust filters and make very sure that you have positive pressure in the case, that is, more airflow in than out.

I currently live in a very dry and dusty part of the world and man, despite my best efforts, my pc is a dust vacuum case. I tried gaining some desk real state a while back and placed the case on the floor and it turned out to be a bad mistake. The fan blades themselves started to collect so much dust that it eventually solidified into a "concrete", impossible to remove by just blowing air on them.

13 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

What does it mean airflow case is that the model of it or something.. I put mine up on a coffee table to eliminate dust and dirt from the floor. if you have pets keep it up but maybe not gonna help if you have roaming cats..

It means it's an aircooled system, not a watercooled. That usually mean that the case is built with big front and top open grilled panels that allow for great air flow to pass through.

fractal-design-torrent-66.jpg

Edited by tomcat_driver
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

On the desk/table? or

On the floor?

I place all of my PCs over the desk .. for one, it's much easier to plug rear cables when needed, and second, they pickup less dust than when on the floor ...

.. and third, the likelyhoof of kicking them is greatly reduced  😊

Xw3DGQO.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Away from the floor....typically, on the desk. 

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

I recently bought a small metal 4 tier shelf from home depot, and put the system on that, and spaced the shelves so I can put the APC Unit and External HDD's directly under the PC, and a top shelf for anything on display, and a bottom shelf for accessories (extra PSU cables, etc etc etc).

I found having the tower on the desk makes it susceptible to damage from motion, as my HOTAS and / or steering wheel is mounted to the desk, so sudden movements make the PC Move as well,, 

before I put up the 4 tier shelf, I used a small night stand, but realized quickly with the APC and external drives, I needed to get more shelf space in a small area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

On the desk/table? or

On the floor?

Do not put the PC tower directly on the floor, as it will gather dust very, very quickly. It'll be a dirty mess inside the case in no time.
You can, however, place it over something that lifts it above the floor, at least 25cm (10 inches), then it's ok.
That, or place it on the desk/table.

For example, I reused a speaker case from an hi-fi stereo, merely as a "base/platform", to place the PC tower over it. Mine sits right beside at the left, where the desk ends.  
Anything similar (shelf, box, short table, etc, etc) for that "base/platform" effect, can do trick. 

I used to have it on the desk for a couple of years, and much prefer how I have it now.
No more dust problems than I'd have when it was on the desk, space and weight over the desk is better saved for other things, and it's also not susceptible to any damage from motion or sudden movements. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

On my desk, next to my keyboard and stick, the whole thing under my bed.

There isn't that much I can do against dust appart for hoovering as often as possible including the PC filter and regularly the internals.

Clean your PC filters and internals regularly.

Dust can be a killer, not only is it conductive so it can create short curcuits and lead to your RAM slots to burn (seen it happen with one of mine), but also it prevent your system to cool properly, this cause the thermic limit to lower so your CPU/GPU limits will be lower as well.

Also, dust can stick to fan blades, creating extra ware, especially when your fans are running at max speed, the blade profile is altered so they are not as aerodynamically efficient.

IMG-20221126-195900-447.jpg

• Thanks 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Regardless where you put it, make sure you have dust filters AND..or they are useless, an OVERPRESSURIZED system.

That means, you always need to push in more air ( through the filters, than your exhaust fans pull out.

That way, all air inwards is filtered and air escapes outward through all those little openings and holes everywhere.

If you suck out more air than you push in, you will suck in unfiltered air from every one of those holes and openings.

Putting it on the floor is not a good idea, with pets and tiled floors dust will kill your PC. Floors with carpet are better but still no good idea.

Mine is on my, rather large, table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Factual Design Torrent full case, the same model @tomcat_driver posted, but in black.  I am not sure if my current desk can accommodate it or not.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Small table next to my desk.
Just getting it off the floor by a few inches makes a big difference.

No matter what you do, you still need to clean every few months, there is no way around that.

• Thanks 1

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

26 minutes ago, Bob_Bushman said:

No matter what you do, you still need to clean every few months, there is no way around that.

Will keep this in mind. Thanks

4 hours ago, sea2sky said:

Good topic. By the way, how do you guys clean the inside of it? I believe vacuum cleaning is not good, since a high air flow create some statics.

Only do a "deep clean" once a year, take it outside and blow it out with a compressor or canned air. Wipe down the large surfaces a small cloth damped with 50:50 IPA/water. 

Biggest help in keeping things clean is a good case with filters on all the intakes and keep the case under positive pressure, so that the air coming in, goes through the areas you want ir to - ie. intake filters. My Torrent runs a custom loop with a 280 and a 420 radiator, so thats 5x140mm intake fans and 1 exhaust (2 if you count the PSU). 

Edited by EightyDuce

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

33 minutes ago, EightyDuce said:

Only do a "deep clean" once a year, take it outside and blow it out with a compressor or canned air. Wipe down the large surfaces a small cloth damped with 50:50 IPA/water. 

Biggest help in keeping things clean is a good case with filters on all the intakes and keep the case under positive pressure, so that the air coming in, goes through the areas you want ir to - ie. intake filters. My Torrent runs a custom loop with a 280 and a 420 radiator, so thats 5x140mm intake fans and 1 exhaust (2 if you count the PSU). 

Yeah, makes sense.

Also, I better save some IPA for my self as well

ipa01-1.png

• Like 1

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

5 hours ago, sea2sky said:

Good topic. By the way, how do you guys clean the inside of it? I believe vacuum cleaning is not good, since a high air flow create some statics.

Sure thing.

The inside is a lot more important, you wouldn't believe what I cleaned from some of the fans last upgrade, I had to dismount a couple of case fans and clean them with a brush.

The CPU fan was already damaged by the weight of the dust which added ware on its axis and at full rpm its blades now hits the fairing recessing slightly in front of it, I had to order a new one.

Here is the Artic Freezer 7 X, its cooling performances are excellent but the fan will behave like an aircraft prop and pull forward, clean it is not so bad but with the added weight of dust on the blades it compresses the joint in the axis front and wares it, as you can see the frairing is recessed and blades will hit it.

DSC-0013.jpg

On the other hand, the GPU fans were still clean and the motherboard wasn't really affected either.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

If you want to show it off then on desk, it will be prettier, especially the new RGB glass cases.
If you are all function guy and don't care about aesthetics then on the floor, it will be quieter.
you will need to blow out dust either way sooner or later. 

To clean I blow it out with compressed air outside. this probably should happen more often...

My PC lives on the floor, behind the desk, on elevated podium to reduce the valid dust comments above.
out of sight, out of mind (lights are usually off on that one).

2v2eJhuuSxUHnUD.jpg

We just built a PC for my older one. he enjoyed picking parts and building it so he put it front and center on his side of the desk.
I have a suspicion he is going to get a RGB memory kit for Christmas (and I'm going to take his 32GB kit, muhahahaha!)

2v2eJhuUmxUHnUD.jpg

My Flight PC lives in a retractable shelf in a DIY "rack"

2v2eJhu9TxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 3

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

On 11/27/2022 at 12:47 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I place all of my PCs over the desk .. for one, it's much easier to plug rear cables when needed, and second, they pickup less dust than when on the floor ...

Some nice old school cases right there.
and a nice h-ifi thingie on the left , whatever that silver device is 🙂

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

2 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

and a nice h-ifi thingie on the left , whatever that silver device is 🙂

Its the control panel of my speakers:

36-121-120-27.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 11/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Xw3DGQO.jpg

Someone still runs the Soundblaster Live 5.1?!

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

7 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Its the control panel of my speakers:

36-121-120-27.jpg

Haha I still have a set of those speakers from probably 15 years ago. Down to just 3 speakers (Left Center Right) + sub. The backlight on the controller no longer backlights bu otherwise they still sound great. 

Probably moving to just two desk speakers plus a DAC at some point... But for now...