Opinion: Where do you put your gaming PC?

I left the forum for 3 hours, 3 hours and then my thread became (computer) HI-FI thread?! 🥺

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, agrasyuk said:

I was referring to the box in the closet

Ahh .. that's my Sansui G-22000  receiver, its pretty old (circa 1977) but still works well .. I purchased it second hand on 1982 and have had it ever since:

39944367572_53e65096e3_b.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Someone still runs the Soundblaster Live 5.1?!

no, the SB stopped working after I updated Windows 7 … creative never provided proper drivers for Windows 8/10 … I kept the front panel just to avoid leaving the case with an open bay. 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

no, the SB stopped working after I updated Windows 7 … creative never provided proper drivers for Windows 8/10 … I kept the front panel just to avoid leaving the case with an open bay. 🙂

There were 3rd party drivers I used up til I did my rebuild, then I retired my X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty w/ breakout box as PCI slots were replaced with PCIe.

My Live 5.1 is still in my XP Legacy Box, but I now have 2 XFi Platinum Cards and Front Bay boxes, so I may move it to that box.

Another thing I miss from teh XP Era,

ATI All In Wonder Cards, TV Tuner right on the GPU plus the Remote Wonder II,

which was a rF remote that I used all the time, but Drivers never went past Windows XP.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

15 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

If you want to show it off then on desk, it will be prettier, especially the new RGB glass cases.
If you are all function guy and don't care about aesthetics then on the floor, it will be quieter.
you will need to blow out dust either way sooner or later. 
<snip>
My Flight PC lives in a retractable shelf in a DIY "rack"

On a desk is too noisy for me, so mine sits on the floor and I just deal with cleaning it every now and then. The room is only used by me and the occasional pet visitor doesn't get to go in it, so I don't find dust a great issue.

The DIY rack is awesome though!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 11/27/2022 at 7:47 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I place all of my PCs over the desk .. for one, it's much easier to plug rear cables when needed, and second, they pickup less dust than when on the floor ...

.. and third, the likelyhoof of kicking them is greatly reduced  😊

Xw3DGQO.jpg

I see LEGO, I upvote! 😄👍

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

On a desk is too noisy for me, so mine sits on the floor and I just deal with cleaning it every now and then. The room is only used by me and the occasional pet visitor doesn't get to go in it, so I don't find dust a great issue.

The DIY rack is awesome though!

Mine is also sitting on the floor. I have very little dust build up. In the picture it is sitting there for a couple of month. It doesn’t get much more dirty than that, because I change „something“ every now and then and blow the dust off. That is on carpet with no pets.

I agree though, on a hard floor with more „action“ PCs become dirty quicker.

5A3E70EB-B2CF-47BC-B3EF-FF28E3FA35FF.jpeg

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Which dust blower would you recommend? Those Chinese made ones crazily ad on YouTube look crazy...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

13 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Which dust blower would you recommend? Those Chinese made ones crazily ad on YouTube look crazy...

eh....mine is build in from birth. Just take a deep breath and go.... 😅

If I'm really going fancy - I take a soft (paint-)brush and the vavuum cleaner. (once in a decade)

btw - the soft paintbrush is perfect for keeping your throttle and stick clean, too!

Edited by Hiob

On the floor. It's literally too big to be on the desk. Luckily it's a great case with integrated dust-screens on the inflow ports, so I just periodically clean those. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Mine sits on the floor, too. I mean I am really a cat person (I have 3 here in the House). They do produce a lot of dust and they leave parts of their fur everywhere even if you chase them with a vacuum cleaner. But I don't like to have my expensive Hardware sitting almost 1 m above the floor - always in danger of getting dropped on the floor.

I also use a Fractal Torrent Case in a Watercool / Aircool Mixup. I can tell you that the Filters work very good. Almost no need to clean the Hardware inside the box but it is necessary to clean the filters every now and then.

Oh and I have a lot of stuff here standing around and collecting dust (Lego, Motu and so on) so don't be afraid of dust. You can easily wipe it off.

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.