Is anyone else having problems seeing hud since last couple updates?

feeleyat

It did used to be difficult in certain lighting situations, but now it is a lot worse.  Is that just the way it is now or should I adjust my gamma? Any tips are welcome.  I even turned off Reshade. Maybe a reshade setting will help?

Edited by feeleyat
I kant tipe

• feeleyat changed the title to Is anyone else having problems seeing hud since last couple updates?

Short of flying straight into the rising or setting sun, I don't have any issues.  Have you messed with the brightness?

Also, I think occasionally there's a bug where the HUD filter is applied even though the handle doesn't appeared to be pulled.  Trying clicking on it a couple times.

It is a problem IRL. In certain light conditions HUD or glass reflections can make it harder to get visuals. Use other instruments when possible.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, feeleyat said:

I am basically a computer illiterate boomer. I set gamma to 1.2. Crazy but worked. I have to set gamma dependant on environment I am flying.....every time they environment changes I have to change it. Sigh.

Press the PrtScn key on your keyboard. The images will be saved in your saved games / screenshots folder. Attach a few of them here so we can see what you're seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

It really needs to be video too understand. I don't notice the effect in the Viper or Hornet which is weird. I don't know that it is a heatblur thing. It could just be the way DCS sees the canopy bow as separate views.  That is your can see odd things on terrain around the canopy bow when shadows and water reflection are calculated.

35 minutes ago, feeleyat said:

That is your can see odd things on terrain around the canopy bow when shadows and water reflection are calculated.

Every post you find another problem but this one I can confirm - water reflections are absent near canopy frames.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I've noticed the same issue.  The HUD is washed out, even when not going into the sun.  in fact, the windshield has a way more green tint than it used to even, making it even harder to see.

I have also noticed this on the F/A-18C.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

21 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

I've noticed the same issue.  The HUD is washed out, even when not going into the sun.  in fact, the windshield has a way more green tint than it used to even, making it even harder to see.

I have also noticed this on the F/A-18C.

v6,

boNes

I thought something was different! I came back to the Tomcat after being away from it for a while, and noticed that the whole front window is greener, even after turning down the HUD brightness.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 hour ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Finally a picture. I've never seen it that bad. Screen cap your graphics settings?

It was actually even worse than that a second or two before I took that shot.  The windshield seemed completely opaque.

I should also note that the sun was very low on the horizon (just after sunrise on the server) and directly at my back.

I'm not on my PC currently so I can't take a screenshot of my settings, but they are pretty low.

Edited by WarthogOsl

3 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Are you flying with shadows off? I don't see any shadows in the picture, and your seat and head can't block the sun if shadows are disabled. That might be the issue.

interesting...I did recently change my shadows settings after the last patch reduced my fps.  I think I have them both set to flat.  I thought I still had shadows in the cockpit because the lighting changes?

I might try and repro it tonight and see.

Okay, I did a little test with the sun low over Marinas (6:30 AM in June or July), and I think the issue is caused by flat shadows.  I had shadow and terrain shadows set to flat, and secondary shadows off.  What I found was that I could turn the plane so that the sun was at my 9 o'clock, then bank right (away from the sun), such that the sun was completely hidden from the cockpit.  Yet, the massive glare happened, as though the sun were shining through the belly of the airplane, though the instrument panel, and onto the windshield.  I then turned the main shadows from flat to low, and the problem went away (except for a brief bit of glare just before the sun went below the canopy rail). Perhaps no shadows causes this as well, but I didn't test that. The HUD brightness was turned all the way down in both cases.

Flat shadows...

20230215203027_1.jpg

Low shadows...

20230215203243_1.jpg

Flat shadows equal "no shadows" as far as cockpit is concerned. These shadows are visible only on the ground surface.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

3 hours ago, WarthogOsl said:

So is it supposed to work like this?

It’s not supposed to work like this. It’s just that it does work like this because it’s relying on the plane’s “shadow” preventing the sunlight from reflecting. Light works backward and weird in 3D graphics. The shadow tells the surface it’s NOT lit.