From 3x 27" (7680x1440) to 1x 49" (5120x1440) FPS issue?

xoxen
Go to solution Solved by xoxen,

Hello,

I´m just facing an "issue" I did not expect. Up to last saturday I used 3x 27" monitors for flying with a total resolution of 7680x1440. On a black friday sale I was able to shoot a Samsung Odyssey G9 49" display with a resolution of 5120x1440. So far so good, the 3 monitors took a lot of space on my office desk and this has been solved now. Additionally the bezels are gone as well which makes the flying even more "realistic" and gives a very good overall feeling.

Now to my point: for sure I expected a better performance as I reduced the resolution by 1/3. The opposite is the case. I did some benchmarks by comparing existing missions FPS wise and was totally disappointed doing so. I went from 51 to 42 FPS in one mission. So I lost 20%. WTF?

What I had to do on the 3 monitor setup is to raise the field of view to 136 to get a realistic look into the cockpit. This resulted into a fisheye lens distortion. With the new monitor I had to reduce the FOV to 118 to have the same cockpit size and also the fisheye lens distortion is less now. But playing around with the FOV did not explain the drastical reduction I´m seeing.

As I have G-Sync now I thought this might have to do with it and I checked a lot of things into that direction. 'But under the line after watching several videos I was not able to raise the FPS.

What is strange is the fact, that if I watch to the sky I only see 70ish FPS which was in the 90/100 when having the 3 monitors.

The GPU is utilized by 100% in both cases.

Actually I´m out of answers but have the feeling something is thwarting my system.

Hopefully anyone has something for me to understand what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

Xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

I wonder if it is the cable/ and or the wrong port is being used, I suspect, you had 3 separate cables to push the bits to 3 separate monitors, likely an earlier dp or hdmi cables, did you reuse one of those for your new monitor? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for your answer. I am using the cable supplied with the monitor. I hope this should be capable to run everything like it shoud, but it is a point I also had in my mind already. I have a DP 1.4 HBR 3 cable to check this. At least worth trying.

Edit: I just checked the other cable, different ports, no change in FPS. I played around with settings, moving them forth and back, no joy. Switching on Vsync and switching it off again did the trick for me in an earlier case.

Edit 2: When I did the Benchmarks before the new Monitor arrived I also made a screenshot of my settings. I found SSAA set to 1.5x which I cannot remember I did. Anyway, I turned it off and it had a drastic influence and also the behavior of the FPS looked more like I was used to. I have seen at the Vsync setting, that sometimes things are set and do not work. This would explain the strange behavior I am actually facing. But honestly I didn´t recognize this setting before and cannot say if it could be the cause.

Edited by xoxen
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

• Solution

Even though I was not able to find the cause by 100%, I found my own conclusion. SSAA was on on my 7680x1440 setup. But I strongly doubt it was really actively working. I found older threads where it was not possible to put SSAA to 1.5x or 2.0x at high resolutions. Maybe this is a relict from that times and SSAA became active when using the reduced resolution of 5120x1440 with the new monitor. I did a lot of adjustments in the options and this was the only point where I really found a key to raise the FPS to the expected level. Now I can even raise MSAA to 4x and Clouds to high and still have more FPS.

For me this topic is closed, as I´m fine like it is now. By the way, the Odyssey G9 is a great monitor and I don´t regret anything, even though I lost 1/3 of the physical field of view.

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Xoxen

Short question, I'm considering upgrading my screen setup from a normal non wide screen 2560x1440 to the G9 5120x1440. This would double my field of view.

I have "only" an Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080, do you think this card could handle that nice screen?

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Markus

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2023 at 8:51 PM, Komet_82 said:

Hi Xoxen

Short question, I'm considering upgrading my screen setup from a normal non wide screen 2560x1440 to the G9 5120x1440. This would double my field of view.

I have "only" an Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3080, do you think this card could handle that nice screen?

Thanks for the advice

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus,

sorry, I did not get a message about your question and didn´t watch this thread again. I hope the answer is still in time for you to take teh right decision. I had the same GPU before my 4080 and it is easily capable to run the G9. Let´s say it that way, the 4080 is overkill and the 3080 is already very good for this, especially with the new Multi-Threading feature. You can definately go that way.

Take care,

Roland

Hi Roland

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, still thinking about this screen. But havn't decided yet. It really seems to be a enormous screen. For flying it must be defenitely amazing. How about for the normal daly work on the computer?

But maybe I just give it a try when I see a great deal.

Thanks and have a great weekend

Cheers

First of all it is different as it is curved. It is my first curved display. But it took me 15 minutes to feel fine. In contrary to my 3 27" displays it is slightly less width. But the curve and the fact that there are no bezels anymore are very much different and better from my point of view. I was able to reduce the FOV a little and have less fisheye optic at the outer areas.

In daily working it is great because of the size, to place windows and have them still large. On the other hand the full size is always on. At 3 27" displays I was able to use only the center one and switch off the outer ones to save enery. But it is not that much of a difference in power consumption (I believe 45 vs 60 Watts).

Under the line I'm very satisfied, not to forget the high Hz of 120 I'm running it. This combined with Multi-Threading is a very smooth experience.

Don't use Gsync, this leads to a flickery experience. It took me some time to find the cause of the flicker. It is not DCS exclusively. I'm not using this feature anymore.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. I got mine on a black friday sale last December and never regretted it.

Roland 

Edited by xoxen