I would love to have the option to enable tracers!

bigcomputerman

Hello people of DCS world, I'd like to give the suggestion that you let A-10C Users pick the options to have tracers for their rounds! I know that it's not realistic at all but I believe alot of us would like to see tracers on the mighty Gau-8! I hope this get's to you and I bid you all a wonderful day/night!

Hi,

without judging your wish or the design philosophy of ED - just to manage expectations:

Unless it's a thing in the real world counterpart - it probably won't happen in DCS. ED tries pretty hard to stay as close to reality as possible.... and from my (very limited) knowledge the A-10 never used tracers.

I think they're more likely to remove a "beloved" feature that has been proven to be wrong/non-existent in RL, than to add something that is uncertain, let alone fictional.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

33 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Hi,

without judging your wish or the design philosophy of ED - just to manage expectations:

Unless it's a thing in the real world counterpart - it probably won't happen in DCS. ED tries pretty hard to stay as close to reality as possible.... and from my (very limited) knowledge the A-10 never used tracers.

I think they're more likely to remove a "beloved" feature that has been proven to be wrong/non-existent in RL, than to add something that is uncertain, let alone fictional.

Thank you, I believe you're right.

And I'd love to have a 'cloaking device' below 7,000ft. but..... This topic has been discussed and discarded  over the years as not IRL and impractical when you consider that 'tracers' are loaded every XX round and for a GAU-8 it would be pretty stupid for XX to equal <= even 60. Additionally, I copy/paste a comment I made over a year ago for your consideration.

Posted June 11, 2021 ****

The the logic behind a tracer round is to trace the bullet flight path and make necessary ballistic corrections for drift & drop over range to target. 
As much as tracers might be an awesome sight to see, especially at night, I can't see it's practical application in a real war zone with an A-10C GAU. 
a) ground impact is pretty visible, day or night regardless of the rounds fired.
b) HUD visual 'cueing' tells me the range and impact area.
c) it's not like you can 'swing the barrel' XX° degrees like an M249, .50-M2HB0 or even the GAU on a AC-130; you'd need to steer the whole plane.
d) the visual effect would probably be a detriment to the pilot's vision, especially at night, leaving him/her with temporary blind spots...at 300kts heading downhill !!!! Even a 'subdued tracer'; one that delays burn for a hundred or more yards downrange, combined with gun barrel exhaust would create a visual impairment. 

The only benefit I can see is the tracers use to 'mark the target' for other friendlies, whether air or ground forces. Oh, and the obvious self-induced 'chubby' from watching the spectacle.

..and remember this ain't a video game, this isn't ARMA.

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
  • Like 1

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

From my reading on the GAU-8 in the Hog, there were only three types of rounds that it has used and none of them have been tracers.

PGU-13 High Explosive Incendiary

PGU-14 Armor Piercing Incendiary. These have the depleted uranium penetrator.

PGU-15 Target Practice. These are essentially a solid slug that has similar ballistics as the other two rounds and are a lot cheaper.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, AvgWhiteGuy said:

And I'd love to have a 'cloaking device' below 7,000ft. but..... This topic has been discussed and discarded  over the years as not IRL and impractical when you consider that 'tracers' are loaded every XX round and for a GAU-8 it would be pretty stupid for XX to equal <= even 60. Additionally, I copy/paste a comment I made over a year ago for your consideration.

Posted June 11, 2021 ****

The the logic behind a tracer round is to trace the bullet flight path and make necessary ballistic corrections for drift & drop over range to target. 
As much as tracers might be an awesome sight to see, especially at night, I can't see it's practical application in a real war zone with an A-10C GAU. 
a) ground impact is pretty visible, day or night regardless of the rounds fired.
b) HUD visual 'cueing' tells me the range and impact area.
c) it's not like you can 'swing the barrel' XX° degrees like an M249, .50-M2HB0 or even the GAU on a AC-130; you'd need to steer the whole plane.
d) the visual effect would probably be a detriment to the pilot's vision, especially at night, leaving him/her with temporary blind spots...at 300kts heading downhill !!!! Even a 'subdued tracer'; one that delays burn for a hundred or more yards downrange, combined with gun barrel exhaust would create a visual impairment. 

The only benefit I can see is the tracers use to 'mark the target' for other friendlies, whether air or ground forces. Oh, and the obvious self-induced 'chubby' from watching the spectacle.

..and remember this ain't a video game, this isn't ARMA.

Okay, thank you for your response. I appreciate it!