DCS 2.8 stable release (when?)

jvandemark

15 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

When it's stable. Preferaby after they figure out what screwed up performance. The whole point of stable is lacking major bugs.

I don’t think the performance issue is a bug. It’s just the hit from additional graphic features like the cloud shadows. But people are bound to complain. So they gotta investigate. Holds up the release for the rest of us… 😐

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

11 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t think the performance issue is a bug. It’s just the hit from additional graphic features like the cloud shadows. But people are bound to complain. So they gotta investigate. Holds up the release for the rest of us… 😐

Perhaps you’re correct but given that it was originally indicated that 2.8 would come with VR performance improvements, that were not subsequently discussed it does beg the question, what has happened. 

• Like 3

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

20 minutes ago, Willie Nelson said:

Perhaps you’re correct but given that it was originally indicated that 2.8 would come with VR performance improvements, that were not subsequently discussed it does beg the question, what has happened. 

The only thing I see in the news is this:

”Because the 2.8 update introduced moving clouds that require additional calculations some of you may have noticed a change in your VR performance.”

Seems pretty obvious that new effects like this would have a performance cost. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The only thing I see in the news is this:

Others might have also seen this:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/304804-official-news-2022/?do=findComment&comment=5065349

After extensive testing of new moving clouds and effects like rainbows, we are ready to update DCS World weather in the upcoming 2.8 version. The Weather System includes optimization for VR, and we are confident that this will result in a more stable and smooth experience.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 6

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

10 hours ago, draconus said:

I imagine there was optimization. Perhaps the performance loss would have been even worse without it. Optimization wouldn’t necessarily mean you’ll see your FPS going up. It may be that it just didn’t go down so much. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, jvandemark said:

I was just wondering when 2.8 will become generally available, as part of a stable release ?

If you have room to put 2 versions side by side, you can always make a copy of your stable version and update that copy to latest beta. You can then switch between the two.
If the beta is messed up (happens now and then) you can always fall back to that stable version without the introduced bugs.
Use SkateZilla's updater for the beta transistion from your 2nd copy:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 11/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, jvandemark said:

I was just wondering when 2.8 will become generally available, as part of a stable release ?

Thanks

Joe

I don't believe we've ever had announcements in advance. ED just release Stable when they're ready. Apart from that - I'm with @Mars Exulte - if there are still major issues with VR that have not yet been resolved - I don't want to see a 2.8 Stable Release at all. Those who want it released can just switch to OB for the time being (or alternatively dual install as mentioned above). 

8 hours ago, HC_Official said:

stable 2.8 version of DCS never

release version 2.8 of DCS sometime soon hopefully

tego-calderon-negativity.gif

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

in 2022, 

there's no such thing as 100% Bug Free Stable,

there's no pcs of software of considerable length that's 100% Stable, there's billions of software and hardware variables, any of which can cause bugs and instability.

We strive to do the best we can.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I write software, and have worked with it for 3 decades now. So by stable, I meant (mostly) stable. Sooner or later it has to become GA (generally available).

2.7 has some interesting quirks as is, but you learn to work around them, or live with them 😉

Like everything else in life ... imperfect

Looking forward to the mostly stable 2.8 version 🙂

`SkateZilla` I'd go further and say there no such thing as 100% bug free software, period.

Joe

Edited by jvandemark

I've done 3 decades of development too in my career (with Agile development), so you have my sympathy. 😉 

I can actually see why ED do the things they do. (Even if I don't always agree with them). 

1 hour ago, jvandemark said:

`SkateZilla` I'd go further and say there no such thing as 100% bug free software, period.

Joe

Challenge accepted!

using System;
namespace StableApp {
       class StableClass {
        static void Main(string[] args) {
            Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
            Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }
}

😉

But being serious - and to be fair look at the stability that is released by EA these days - (Well, I can go back a decade and still prove the point with them). ED are doing the best they can. Even the operating system we run on (Windows) with certain drivers from time to time cause problems. How is an application running on already potentially buggy software ever going to be able to be considered 'Stable' in the way that some people expect it to be. Never really. 

Personally - I think some stable releases are released a little early - but I also understand that holding back further and tweaking even more impacts further development of the Open Beta - so there's got to be a point where it's released as is and moved on (especially in an Agile development environment). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

in 2022, 

there's no such thing as 100% Bug Free Stable,

there's no pcs of software of considerable length that's 100% Stable, there's billions of software and hardware variables, any of which can cause bugs and instability.

We strive to do the best we can.

I guess for me its the fact the ED used to refer to the two version as

Openbeta

or

Release

Then for some I guess marketing reason they decided to "re-brand" release and call it "Stable" to make it sound better ?

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:08 PM, Dangerzone said:

Challenge accepted!

using System;
namespace StableApp {
       class StableClass {
        static void Main(string[] args) {
            Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
            Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }
}

😉

ROFL, have to admit that made me laugh 🙂

are those `Console` operations atomic? j/k

🙂

Edited by jvandemark
  • Like 1

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

What does stable mean anyway? Isnt it just a few releases / version numbers behind Beta? And released when the amount of known bugs in this version number is considered moderate?

Open beta is a public test build, we mass test here and use your reports and feedback to make DCS better. 

Once we are happy no show stopping bugs or crashes that would prevent DCS from working are in the test build we will push it to the stable version. 

It is a pretty simple concept. 

Complex software will always have bugs, and they get worked on, as our patch notes show.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...