Bf 109 cockpit

Hog_driver

Looking for some info about the Bf 109, I found this on Quora:

"RAF testing in '46 revealed that under some conditions, the force its pilots could exert on the 109’s control column was only 40% of what they could equally apply in a Spitfire."

Was it really that bad? Under what conditions?

Probably pretty theoretical stuff. I have read a -lot- of 109 pilots memoirs/accounts and i don't recall any of them complaining about lack of space in that regard, also it's pretty rare to find actual pilots to complain about control stiffnes too because it's something they get to used pretty fast and it was no such big deal after that.

• Thanks 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 11/29/2022 at 7:04 PM, DB 605 said:

Probably pretty theoretical stuff. I have read a -lot- of 109 pilots memoirs/accounts and i don't recall any of them complaining about lack of space in that regard, also it's pretty rare to find actual pilots to complain about control stiffnes too because it's something they get to used pretty fast and it was no such big deal after that.

Exactly that is the point, the 109 pilots had grown accustom to it  where as the RAF test pilots were not. So therefore I would probably have to agree with the findings of the RAF test pilots. 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, Hog_driver said:

Looking for some info about the Bf 109, I found this on Quora:

"RAF testing in '46 revealed that under some conditions, the force its pilots could exert on the 109’s control column was only 40% of what they could equally apply in a Spitfire."

Was it really that bad? Under what conditions?

Probably high speed manoeuvres where high load of forces are on the ailerons and elevators 

• Thanks 1

Yeah 109, especially the later ones as the planes got faster, were notorious for having really bad control stiffness.

• Thanks 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

It is called controls harmonization, something that the brits engineers and the pilots weren't aware of. It's normal that the control surfaces would stiffen when approaching those high speeds for ALL planes which don't have any hydraulic assistance, for that matter. There are some Finnish pilots' testimonials where they said that even if the controls stiffened at high speed, they could still turn the aircraft. This behavior is very much being exacerbated in DCS, for the 109, by those so called 'stick forces' that are 'artificially' applied on the 109 which don't actually respect any laws of physics or take into account the human factor.

Edited by amazingme
  • Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5