A neues Gwand für die Dora! - Hi Res Textures for the Dora

Doughguy

####################################  DOWNLOADS  ##########################################

4k Retexture for the FW-190 D9 v1.0 Pt.2

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3330251/

This will add JG.3, JG.51, and JG.301 machines to your inventory.

Content of folders to be unpacked into liveries folder eg: X:\games\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\FW-190D9\

Textures with shtonky symbols included, just rename and replace accordingly.

Please note, that the Stabs version using the chevron id are intended to use only single digitbort numbers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4k Retexture for the FW-190 D9 v1.0 Pt.2

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3330945/

This addon will add liveries of the JG.2, JG.26, JG.54 and KG(J)27  in high detailed 4k textures and roughmats!

Pt.1 is a prerequisite for this pack to work correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4k Retexture for the FW-190 D9 v1.0 Pt.3

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3335043/

This addon will add liveries of the JG.4, JG.6, SG.10 and JV44  in high detailed 4k textures and roughmats!

Pt.1 is a prerequisite for this pack to work correctly.

####################################  DOWNLOADS  ##########################################

Been blocking out some hi res tex for the Dora as it needs some love, and i really love the grimey german late-war birds.

Getting my head around the UVW Layout and what goes where etc...been doing this for 10 years in my last job but havent touched textures for 5 years.

screen_221129_22321706cau.png

screen_221129_2216439fcjt.png

screen_221129_222037ecdar.png

Some things are overdone and need to be toned down, others have ugly seams that need fixing.
Wish i had the 3d model as i could do more trickery and seamless painting in substance painter... *oh well*

For now ive only touched the color/diffuse map, as ill build the roughness,metalic and normal from that one. 

Its the same layout as with the current Dora texture sets but each texture is 4096 * 4096.

I´m doing research on the panel and riveting patterns so not touched that yet, but its just that much i can do as ive noticed differences between the model and various other blueprints that i tend to go along with the native DCS patterns and just "redo" them.

More research is to be made for the appearance of paint chipping etc...research is half the deal..

Work Work Work.

The current livery is nothing specific, but i plan on doing each of the 15 Staffeln of JG.26, with each having its own unique color scheme plus Stab (madness), but generating these, once the base texture is set up, its only a matter of a weekend.

Cheerio

Edited by Doughguy
Added Download link, another link
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• Doughguy changed the title to A neues Gwand für die Dora! - Hi Res Textures for the Dora

Awesome, looking forward to these. The Dora really need lots of love, hopefully complete 3d model/sound remake from devs one day but new textures definitely makes waiting easier 👍

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well i do appreciate your work, screens looks great. Really liking the colours and weathering already. Cockpit textures will be another very welcome facelift for sure.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Keep up the good job. Looking forward to downloading these. There were plenty of excellent custom skins made for Dora before 2.2 but they all became incompatible when deferred shading was implemented. Time to see some new ones :).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yeah noticed that some metal/roughness maps dont match on some models.

Ill wrap my head around that one once i´m happy with the diffuse map. Tweaking things on the go and working on things here and there.

Been thinkin about on how to approach linework and riveting.

Decided to create actual panels instead of just lines.

Has some advantages: Simple selection posibilities to create discolorated panels from repairs and such, more random "nooks and crannies" between the panels, and bettercontrol of normal map output.

Its the next best thing apart from having a high res model and baking that info down. I COULD create a low and high res model to match the DCS UVW´s, but thats rather quite a bunch of work i´m not as inclined to do. Maybe at a later stage. But itd definately would yield the best result.

• Like 1

Some more work.

Added few field repair paintovers with various scrap paint as seen in several ref pics. Wont be present in all versions. Merely a library atm.
Tweaked some layersand toned down effects. Redone the gun residue. Still not too convincing. Worked on the exhaust residue. Wing section needs matchin as well as this long streched part above the wing root..

Added general paint chipping to the paint layers. Nothing down to bare metal, as this usually indicates hard abuse andn usually occures on specific prominent areas only.

Added footprints to the walking areas based on luftwaffe boot soles. Just for giggles, but totally plausible.

The leading edge of the wings camo is giving me a headache... if i omit the colored bottom part, theres a paint edge covering the leading edge of the wing... which looks odd...
Have to figure out how to fix this best. Seen some german fighters had wavy painted leading edges, which would be tooo hard to recreat in this oldskewl way of texturing.
Im no Dora expert, but it appears most had a straight painted leading edge, so my tendency is to push the paint bit up.

screen_221202_201858xadyt.png

screen_221202_201917mvfck.png

screen_221202_2022226yi7w.png

screen_221202_202325wci4x.png

screen_221202_202349nlfjy.png

screen_221202_202745z6i4w.png

screen_221202_203325n1imq.png

Gonna have to do some trickery with the Stabschwarm version, as part of the Stab insignia would interfere with the DCS Bortnumber placement.
Measure is rather simple tho, even it doesnt result "100% accurate" results: move the Balkenkreuzt toward the tail. That way, the insignia around the Balkenkreuz will have enough roomand the Numbers will work.

It appears in general that ED made the "mistake" to place the 2nd digit too close to the balkenkreuz. Ill have to move the balkenkreuz  and size it down a tad and also shorten the 2nd Gruppe insignia, so that theres enough space.

Not 100% accurate again, but a trade-off. Maybe Devs can fix this in the future.

So it should look like:

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Stab-JG26-Black-14-W

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Doughguy said:

The leading edge of the wings camo is giving me a headache... if i omit the colored bottom part, theres a paint edge covering the leading edge of the wing... which looks odd...
Have to figure out how to fix this best. Seen some german fighters had wavy painted leading edges, which would be tooo hard to recreat in this oldskewl way of texturing.
Im no Dora expert, but it appears most had a straight painted leading edge, so my tendency is to push the paint bit up.

Excellent work so far 👍 About leading edges, yes Doras have "straight" (usually seems to done by freehand so not that straight always) demarcation line between colors there, upper color being usually paint bit further down from middle of edge. In other words pretty much spot on in your screens. Do you have Crandalls or Japos books for source?

Bare metal looks bit dull in shots, kinda like painted in grey, probably because of still being wip? keep up the good work!

Edited by DB 605
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nah couldnt source the Crandall and Japo  Books, i have a few others, but they dont really seem to cover that part much.
But your info is good enough! can fix the camo masks of the wings that way.

The colored bottom of the front wing part seems to be bit of dispute aswell.. Seen sources stating its either an interior grey RLM 66 or brown RLM 81 or a darker green, but nothing to  put the foot down regarding that matter.

Yea the bare metal doesnt pop, as ive just been doing the diffuse map and not touched normal and metalic/roughness map so far. Blocking out things etc.

• Like 1

Leading edge/bottom color was different between series/factories so it depends on W.nr of the plane. RLM 81 or 75 usually, possibly 66 sometimes. I will PM you couple of pages from Crandalls book.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some more work on the diffuse mape whilest doing research.Amazing what one can find on ebay...

1sncqo.jpg

Quite happy with the exhaust residue. Just need to do some touch ups and dirty the wing root more.

2hye2d.jpg

UVW´s are a mess in places... particular area has definately some wonky seams i need to adress...

4fdcid.jpg

5fbew0.jpg

Worked on the leading edge. Again.. seams, but this was the first pass... had to do some copy paste trickery that worked well... i just forgot i need brushes set up with the same values..

6tnc9n.jpg

More seams and faulty colored areas (stabilizer wingroot)

7lff0c.jpg

More seams.... ugh... And masks are the default ED ones.. not really touched them!

86tfwa.jpg

10lcdik.jpg

Added more masking variety and more labels / markings. Paint layers have received an initial "scratch" mask, where only the paint chipped of. Subject to be adjusted.

9odiw6.jpg

More wonky UV´s....it hurts.. An area (MG hood) i have to avoid  regarding any detailin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 9:00 PM, Doughguy said:

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Stab-JG26-Black-14-W

In my modelling stuff, I usually tend not to trust any profile no matter where does it come from (I've drawn profiles for a book myself, and I know how that goes) so I always like to double, and triple check the sources. In particular, I always want to see with my own eye what are the pictures in which a profile is based on, so I can decide myself what it should or could look like instead of the already made decisions by an artist which might or might not now about aviation, aircraft and the particular subject model. Ok, so a quick search just shows here that the Wnr is just wrong, the aircraft is not from the date stated in there, and of course yes, it's apparently a Jg26 machine but it's highly doubtable it's Priller's machine. Just look the picture it's based on, Wnr is 211018, not 016, and it's a captured aircraft at the end of the war, not January 45 as stated there. And it makes sense since that kind of patchy paintjobs are usually from very late in the war, not usually January 45.

1dorapic2.jpg

1dora.jpg

Source,

https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2016/05/crash-of-fw-190-d-9-wkn-211018-fe-119.html

Not to mention (and another debated subject 🤣), RLM 81 isn't that deep brown used by the artist in its profile, more of a very dark green with some brownish touch that plain brown. That's easily spotted in the few but not related and nonetheless quite consistent paint jobs seen in the bunch of remaining untouched examples of late war aircraft, so profile in that source isn't perfect but definitely more accurate.

It's your job, so if that little info serves you in any way glad to help. Otherwise, go ahead yourself :thumbup: .

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

2 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Not to mention (and another debated subject 🤣), RLM 81 isn't that deep brown used by the artist in its profile, more of a very dark green with some brownish touch that plain brown. That's easily spotted in the few but not related and nonetheless quite consistent paint jobs seen in the bunch of remaining untouched examples of late war aircraft, so profile in that source isn't perfect but definitely more accurate.

It's your job, so if that little info serves you in any way glad to help. Otherwise, go ahead yourself :thumbup: .

Nothin is simple and straightforward in world of paints, especially luftwaffe late-war ones.

IMG-20221206-160316.jpg

Not to even mention how much colour shade can change depending on how many layers was painted etc.

So i'd say Doughguy's version of rlm 81 is very close to v.3 for example.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah colors are a subject of debates mainly due to charts bein lost. And b/w pics can be deceiving. Im no expert on that topic so im open to suggestions.

However since i plan on doing several if not all staffeln of jg.26 i sure can pic color variations of. RLM 81 etc as colors did change over time. However i wont be doing very specific models /profiles as resources arent  exact enough to my liking.

In case of the black 14 i didnt aim to reproduce  that particular machine but that specific style for the stabs doras Which innterms of colors alls seem to have  a very clean standart "unfrankensteined" look. Franz götzs dora bein the exception.

In the end you cant please everyone.

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DB 605 said:

IMG-20221206-160316.jpg

What book does that come from? Looks good. My main reference is usually Merrick 2004 since I like his quasi obsessive job on paints (shades aside) over some other more modern stuff, also a debated source though 🤣.

Yeah, totally true what you say, but, despite everything and some sources and evidences pointing at the Khaki, if you look close the bunch of examples remaining in original colours (some of them repainted later so old photos of them are better), not even related among them as said since there are from He-162, to Me163, V-1 or Ta-152, and what not but that kind of stuff so not coming from the same factory or place, you don't see that much brownish shades, you see greens which I can get why some people say they are brown or brownish at least (only one of the Me163 in original paint tends a bit more) since there's some khaki hint on them, but still recognizable as greens, not plain browns. The source in that book tells those different pigments and all but points plain browns with no shade of green. Hence I'm suspicious they weren't really that plain brown but green tending to a hint of khaki which some people might call brown but still they are really on the green shades and recognizable as greens despite some khaki. If pigment and paint degrades with time (or just oxidise as some old sources told, not sure about that)  those examples in museums should be all of them plain brown with no hint of green at all by now, but they aren't…🤔 So something's going on there, and it would be a so amazing coincidence all those were painted with the same batch and same colour of paint while "collected" from so varied sources and places. Well, still it's  thing of mine, I know, and probably going even deeper there's much more of it, but such an amazing coincidence is too much coincidental… 🤔🤔🤔

6 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Yeah colors are a subject of debates mainly due to charts bein lost. And b/w pics can be deceiving. Im no expert on that topic so im open to suggestions.

Colours are highly debated and I highly doubt two batches of paint were the same no matter how formulas were used back then, even when I was a kid it was literally impossible to just paint a patch on your car with the exact same colour you had, that's a relatively recent thing, so colour variation is probably a given. But charts aren't lost, original ones are kept at RAL (or was it DIN?) institute on a cold and dark place, actually.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

Colours are highly debated and I highly doubt two batches of paint were the same no matter how formulas were used back then, even when I was a kid it was literally impossible to just paint a patch on your car with the exact same colour you had, that's a relatively recent thing, so colour variation is probably a given. But charts aren't lost, original ones are kept at RAL (or was it DIN?) institute on a cold and dark place, actually.

My thoughts exactly. So i dont try to linger around the exact shades of a certain color too much.

If i know that pattern is RLM 82, then thats fine. Im gonna add variations to it. Even on the same plane cause spare parts.

Whats more critical is the overall colorscheme and what colors have been used. Eg with the mimetall doras one does get tons of info and interpretations about how the front section of the wing underside was painted. RLM 75, 66, 81 or RLM 83 (dark green? ). But even the top side of the wings is debated. 

The color charts of eduard basically imply that mimetall doras were painted on RLM 75 with RLM 81 applied as breakup pattern. With a splotch of RLM 83 on the tail section. Others say thats only on the fuselage and wings were painted RLM 83 and 76.

Most accurate would be any kind of "official" docs from back in the day on how parts were to be cammed. Ive not come across these yet. So the whole discussion is basically a bottomles pit imho.

However, havin read about jg26 a bit and on LW procedures it renderes quiet a vast array of color pattern. Merely dependin on production date, how often it was flown, or if incorporated from another jg.

Eg doras of the stab were more pristine in condition since they had to fly less than the lower ranks and were generally painted in rlm 82 83 and whole bottom painted 75. Indicates older production runs. Dortemanns dora was a jg 54 machine that was incorporated into IV./jg26 and basically all stabs doras wore same colors as his. Götzs dora bein an anomaly but it basically started in the usual mimetall pattern before it was camed up.

Lower ranks dora were patched up frankenwulfs. Most appealing to the modellers eye as there so much to see and go hog wild.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

What book does that come from? Looks good. My main reference is usually Merrick 2004 since I like his quasi obsessive job on paints (shades aside) over some other more modern stuff, also a debated source though

Guess this is the JaPo book.

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 2

Yep, quite hard to determine but thrilling subject we can talk like forever.

Interestingly, RLM 83 apparently didn't even exist as the second green shade it's usually depicted. I believe it was Lynn Ritger himself who found, though later than his well known books were published so it's not there but on some internet forums he used to visit and write on, that there's no documental evidence of that shade. 83 did exist and he even found a colour chip, but it was a totally different colour, in particular a kind of dark blue used in some aircraft (Ju-88 is mentioned specially) in the Mediterranean, so basically nothing to do with what's said almost everywhere. Same reason applies for 84, which in this case didn't even exist, it's 76 variations only from usual well known pale blue to the similar shade to British Sky type S and all the colours in between, but all of them just 76 variations. Hence, late schemes are always 81/82/76 and 75/81/76. The alleged 82/83 or 82/83/84 didn't even exist, it's just tone variations of 81/82, and definitely a neverending story 🤣 .

With that front lower leading edge paint I can't help, I haven't formed my own opinion on the subject, never search for information enough to get a grasp on it, sorry.

19 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

What book does that come from? Looks good. My main reference is usually Merrick 2004 since I like his quasi obsessive job on paints (shades aside) over some other more modern stuff, also a debated source though 🤣.

Yeah, totally true what you say, but, despite everything and some sources and evidences pointing at the Khaki, if you look close the bunch of examples remaining in original colours (some of them repainted later so old photos of them are better), not even related among them as said since there are from He-162, to Me163, V-1 or Ta-152, and what not but that kind of stuff so not coming from the same factory or place, you don't see that much brownish shades, you see greens which I can get why some people say they are brown or brownish at least (only one of the Me163 in original paint tends a bit more) since there's some khaki hint on them, but still recognizable as greens, not plain browns. The source in that book tells those different pigments and all but points plain browns with no shade of green. Hence I'm suspicious they weren't really that plain brown but green tending to a hint of khaki which some people might call brown but still they are really on the green shades and recognizable as greens despite some khaki. If pigment and paint degrades with time (or just oxidise as some old sources told, not sure about that)  those examples in museums should be all of them plain brown with no hint of green at all by now, but they aren't…🤔 So something's going on there, and it would be a so amazing coincidence all those were painted with the same batch and same colour of paint while "collected" from so varied sources and places. Well, still it's  thing of mine, I know, and probably going even deeper there's much more of it, but such an amazing coincidence is too much coincidental… 🤔🤔🤔

The picture  in my post is from "Real colors of ww2 aircraft", latest research results of Maciej Góralczyk, Gerald T. Högl, Jürgen Kiroff, Nicholas Millman and Mikhail V. Orlov. Released by AK interactive, really well done book for anyone interested in topic.

I have to disagree about lack of evidence of brown rlm 81, there is actually quite many color pics and parts left from aircraft, here is couple of examples from other forums:

40157793174-51801cb172-o.jpg

Fw 190 stab fairing

Whats-App-Image-2021-05-03-at-01-43-45.j

Nice pic of Do-335

32957132158-901e7dd8bf-h.jpg

4 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Interestingly, RLM 83 apparently didn't even exist as the second green shade it's usually depicted. I believe it was Lynn Ritger himself who found, though later than his well known books were published so it's not there but on some internet forums he used to visit and write on, that there's no documental evidence of that shade. 83 did exist and he even found a colour chip, but it was a totally different colour, in particular a kind of dark blue used in some aircraft (Ju-88 is mentioned specially) in the Mediterranean, so basically nothing to do with what's said almost everywhere. Same reason applies for 84, which in this case didn't even exist, it's 76 variations only from usual well known pale blue to the similar shade to British Sky type S and all the colours in between, but all of them just 76 variations. Hence, late schemes are always 81/82/76 and 75/81/76. The alleged 82/83 or 82/83/84 didn't even exist, it's just tone variations of 81/82, and definitely a neverending story 🤣 .

That's true, rlm 83 was indeed dark blue and was never used in late-war fighters. I would also add rlm 70 and rlm 74 to list of possible colors as even those were cancelled officially the avaiable stocks was used so even some quite late machines could wear them (but more commonly on 109's than FW's).

10 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Most accurate would be any kind of "official" docs from back in the day on how parts were to be cammed. Ive not come across these yet. So the whole discussion is basically a bottomles pit imho.

No official paint diagram is found for D9 so far, but for there is one for Ta 152 from nov. 1944 and colors listed there are indeed "farbton 81/82/76"

So in a nutshell, colors to use for accurate late-war scheme:

RLM 76 (two versions, official light blue/grey and green/yellow late variant)

RLM 81 (three versions as mentioned above posts)

RLM 82 (also at least three versions known but all are clearly green unlike rlm81, main difference being brightness of the color)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, my point exactly, and thanks for the reference. Will take a look at that book, I knew it was there, and Kiroff also was involved in Merrick 2004 book as you probably know.

27 minutes ago, DB 605 said:

40157793174-51801cb172-o.jpg

Really good picture here, thanks. But, do we know that's not edited/photoshoped in any way? I knew of Fw190 colour pictures at the factory but never that clear, not to mention those so bright colours. If it's been "enhanced" in any way it might look more brown than it should. Remember what I told is not it's not there, but it's a khaki green some people might tell as just brown ignoring the actual green shade it has. In that, what I mean matches quite well the other pic,

37 minutes ago, DB 605 said:

Nice pic of Do-335

32957132158-901e7dd8bf-h.jpg

Here you can't really tell that's only brown, not as obvious as the first pic, and since the reference I mentioned is a museum aircraft in its original colours (and again not related to this one) but here it's an original colour pic and  it shows approximately the same effect (not that obvious though, but still) I mentioned, it's odd that much of a coincidence, again. Remember, it's not I don't think there's a brownish shade, but my hypothesis is it's a khaki green instead of plain brown. Of course with all the colour and shades variations we might think of. Funnily enough the uniform there is actually khaki, but not khaki green as we know and the difference is obvious.

Anyway, hope all that info helps OP some way. It's an interesting and related topic but never meant to derail the original post. Just in case,

FW190-D9.jpg

Look at that gear cover in this well known captured Dora colour picture, though other pics of the same subject (B&W mostly, but it's clear) don't show any difference in that gear door colour, it's probably just a shadow. But either it's the colour you're looking for or it's an optical effect, it's interesting since it can be also the case with your subject as some people see too much on B&W pictures 🤔. That's why I always like to see the pictures profiles are based on by myself.

P.S. : and yes, more brownish than green on that engine cowling though those came already mounted and painted from a different factory than main airframe and they just joined them together. Egg shell powerplant they called it, or the like.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb DB 605:

So in a nutshell, colors to use for accurate late-war scheme:

RLM 76 (two versions, official light blue/grey and green/yellow late variant)

RLM 81 (three versions as mentioned above posts)

RLM 82 (also at least three versions known but all are clearly green unlike rlm81, main difference being brightness of the color

Thats basically what ive concluded and what eg eduard models proposes.Screenshot_20221207-192518_Samsung Notes.jpg

Whereas ive found pictures of that dora  with different fuselage colors and wing surfaces being painted rlm 75 and 82.

But yeah the 76 81 82 combo would fot several late dora models especially made by mimetall.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

Look at that gear cover in this well known captured Dora colour picture, though other pics of the same subject (B&W mostly, but it's clear) don't show any difference in that gear door colour, it's probably just a shadow. But either it's the colour you're looking for or it's an optical effect,

Yeah gearwell covers are in shadows and rather dirty just like the fuselage. The nose part apparently was brown but then repainted green and the brown shines through. You can also see this by lookin at the wavy rim around the cowling. A bit of brown peekin out beneath the green cover up.

The do 335 and me262 def have a pale dark brown on there to accompany the green. The correct shade is debatable since  theres light shadow and the sheer low quality of the pictures.

@DB 605if you can take a pic of that fairing on a cloudy but bright day thatll help alot. Flash is no good. Needs diffuse light.

Edited by Doughguy

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

but it's a khaki green some people might tell as just brown ignoring the actual green shade it has.

Iirc khaki is basically a high content yellow and low content black. To produce brown youd need to add red and green yes, but it wouldnt really be khaki then, not takin in account slight tonalities. I also see a green and brown on a light gray or off-grey (too much direct light). 

The light plays a factor on determining correct colors but also how thickly and evenly a color has been applied.

Late stages of war bein rather hasty color application would be accordingly. So rather thin and sluggish. So youll also have eg a green or brown layer at eg 90 percent opacity on the late rlm 76 making it appear totally different on shade.

1 hour ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yep, my point exactly, and thanks for the reference. Will take a look at that book, I knew it was there, and Kiroff also was involved in Merrick 2004 book as you probably know.

Really good picture here, thanks. But, do we know that's not edited/photoshoped in any way? I knew of Fw190 colour pictures at the factory but never that clear, not to mention those so bright colours. If it's been "enhanced" in any way it might look more brown than it should. Remember what I told is not it's not there, but it's a khaki green some people might tell as just brown ignoring the actual green shade it has. In that, what I mean matches quite well the other pic,

Anyway, hope all that info helps OP some way. It's an interesting and related topic but never meant to derail the original post.

Well i don't know if that particular picture is edited or not, however as said there is quite lot of other pics and relics left to show brown version so personally i have no reason to not to believe that brown version of rlm 81 existed.

But yes, always intersting topic to discuss and compare opinions about.

25 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Thats basically what ive concluded and what eg eduard models proposes.

Whereas ive found pictures of that dora  with different fuselage colors and wing surfaces being painted rlm 75 and 82.

But yeah the 76 81 82 combo would fot several late dora models especially made by mimetall.

Yeah gearwell covers are in shadows and rather dirty just like the fuselage. The nose part apparently was brown but then repainted green and the brown shines through. You can also see this by lookin at the wavy rim around the cowling. A bit of brown peekin out beneath the green cover up.

The do 335 and me262 def have a pale dark brown on there to accompany the green. The correct shade is debatable since  theres light shadow and the sheer low quality of the pictures.

@DB 605if you can take a pic of that fairing on a cloudy but bright day thatll help alot. Flash is no good. Needs diffuse light.

Yep, wings were often built by different subcontractor so they used what colours they had in hands so result is often interesting combo.

Grays 75 or 76 combined to 81 or 82, etc etc. Sometimes good old 74/75 combo too.

Unfortunately i don't own that wing fairing but i have saved pics from other forums (large scale planes iirc), however there was couple of more pics from it:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, DB 605 said:

Well i don't know if that particular picture is edited or not, however as said there is quite lot of other pics and relics left to show brown version so personally i have no reason to not to believe that brown version of rlm 81 existed

Well, back in time I scoured the internet looking for some pictures of remaining pieces allowing me to compare but I couldn't find any, so I relied on those other pictures of captured examples and museum untouched ones. But those pieces settles it definitely 😉 . I'll saved them carefully for reference in my modelling stuff. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doughguy said:

Iirc khaki is basically a high content yellow and low content black. To produce brown youd need to add red and green yes, but it wouldnt really be khaki then, not takin in account slight tonalities. I also see a green and brown on a light gray or off-grey (too much direct light). 

The light plays a factor on determining correct colors but also how thickly and evenly a color has been applied.

Late stages of war bein rather hasty color application would be accordingly. So rather thin and sluggish. So youll also have eg a green or brown layer at eg 90 percent opacity on the late rlm 76 making it appear totally different on shade.

Yeah, quite tough it is bearing multiple variables and pictures in colour from the time are either so good like Kodachromes or really bad sometimes which aren't helping at all, on the contrary they tend to be deceiving, so hard to find an answer makes it still a highly debated subject to the day, but quite an interesting one. Good luck in your findings, awaiting for that skin :thumbup: .

• Like 1