A neues Gwand für die Dora! - Hi Res Textures for the Dora

Doughguy

good lord man i'm so hyped for when this is done

• Like 1

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cheers guys. I´m lookin to finish the panel and riveting work this weekend. It wont be perfect due to obvious limitations the template provides... but i think the result will be nicer. And i also wanna move on since its quite tiresome. The Dora kinda lacks good documentation in that respect and i have to do a lot of research only to find that i have to work with cutbacks cause the template (model) does not fit, or vice versa.

I´ve already tried to crank up the brightness/contrast levels to use that texture as a chipping mask for worn edges similar to what crazybump would generate from a normal map.
results look promising!

Will have to alter the diffuse according to the panel work but that was forseable hence ive done only minimal work in that field.

Still havent touched any of the interour and fuselage, gear wells etc.. but thatll be a step after ive done the exterior shell.

Small Update:

Finished the taping of the contro surfaces. Will have to redo the cloth structure as it was too coarse previously, makin it look like a haversack.
Added the base of the antenna, added hinges and fixed various areas. Unfortunately we´ll have to live without welding seams on the supercharger scoop..

Also, ive fixed the rivetin pattern on the flaps. Pretty nifty what one can find on ebay as ref.

1p7ixk.jpg

23cfa7.jpg

3wdc0w.jpg

46si4v.jpg

59pi60.jpg

s-l1600-2022-12-04t13xic17.jpg

s-l1600-2022-12-04t138rcte.jpg

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 4

1spdaa.jpg

2k0ira.jpg

It is what it is i guess. Been bit of an ordeal. The Dora really needs a total overhaul as its pestered with issues and ancient ways of creating 3d models that it really hurt to create textures so far... Eg. overlapping UVW´s etc

I´m gonna do the stressed skin now. Some reference hunt first. From that point on the normal map will be generated and following masks etc for diffuse etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Well well...

started reorganizing and cleaning up the diffuse. Some parts i will discard and redo due to the redone panel and riveting map.

Had a go at creating masks for the surface wear and test some brushes. not sure if its too much but as its been shown above that its legit.

Also repositioned the fuselage cross towards the aft... so double digit bort numbers now have some more space and also stabs markings will work..

Collecting a lot of pictures of dirty surfaces... preferably white vans and trains... people are giving me looks...

1lciuz.jpg

25je77.jpg

3cff06.jpg

5sod5p.jpg

6lpckg.jpg

Of course... the usual UVWs horrors one has to deal with.

745eup.jpg

8szi0w.jpg

• Like 8

Looking really good so far. 👍 But i agree, bottom is too weathered especially under wings...maybe that level is ok for underside of the engine, as those engines were very leaky. I would also tone chipping littlebit down, remembering these were in use only few months at max. But i'm sure you'll find happy medium after some tuning. 😎

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

some fixes.

1k7ct3.jpg

28wch3.jpg

3z6dpn.jpg

4lvfkk.jpg

@DB 605  cheers! yeah ive applied some masking to the bottom dirt, having the focus of this around the wheel areas and towards the rear fuselage.
thats where all the grime kicks up and such. as doras flew alot from improvised airfields. still have to match colors a bit and blend the sides downwashed dirt with the bottom dirt...

ive kept the chipping minimal. most little specks are around where debris on start / landing would kick up, and of course areas that are handled alot like cockpit, hatches etc. will look into it tho mate.

thing is, i kinda have to settle for something. filze size is huge. 5 gig for the working file. 20mb for a single diffuse map and you need 4 of them. plus 4normal and 4 spec/roughness maps. So in the long shot it want to change whats absolutally necessary when doing other versions, like eg, only the diffuse maps and the rest will stay the same.

there sure were some doras that got delivered in pristine condition but were shot downon their first combat mission, but where´s the fun in that 😄

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doughguy said:

some fixes.

1k7ct3.jpg

28wch3.jpg

3z6dpn.jpg

4lvfkk.jpg

@DB 605

there sure were some doras that got delivered in pristine condition but were shot downon their first combat mission, but where´s the fun in that 😄

I agree, weathered looks is way to go for late war, it's just thin line to not overdo the effects. But after your latest adjustments it looks already very good, i'm sure it will be just great once finished.

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been quiet a bit lately. Havent done much work to show off apart from adding jg4 and jg6 waistband templates.

My main work currently consists of cleaning up the layer mess the current workfile is and reorganizing the layers to creat a nice and coherent template.
Means i have to redo alot of masks, and plan layer groups and folders,so they can be masked properly.. tedious work.

But itll pay off in the end, cause i dont want a bare metal chip layer stuck ontop of everything thing going, but real subtractive work so each paint layer can be adressed (think corsair with the bare metal, oxide primer and paint layers showing on the worn of areas).

Edited by Doughguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really neat project you have going on there. The rivet counting job was mindbogglingly to look at. 

I like the looks of the Dora but I have to confess I'm rubbish with it but more eye candy is always appreciated. 

Anyway you plan on releasing this as a template or just your series of JG.26 skins? 

Will be a template. Albeit a rather big one as a single file. Right now its a whoppig 4 Gig of disk space... Diffuse only.

One factor that contributes to the filesize sure is that fact that i create alot of templates for possible patterns, eg on the wing undersides.
So one only has to activate a wanted layer and pic a color.

Edited by Doughguy

On a different note since i'm preparing to retexture the inner structures lile gear wells etc. Does anyone know, if those parts were painted in RLM 02 or left in bare metal? Only parts ive seen that are left bare are parts of the flaps.

Some insight would be cool as i do not have all the literature on the dora and from what i have info is rather sparse.

Also ive come to the conclusion that the yellow greenish "late" RLM76 or so called RLM 99 is just a primer that was used all over the fuselage and parts of the wings to save paint.

Further more having underestimated a ginormous texturefile and the sheer scope of accompanied jg26 textures for each of its staffeln  so i thought about creating a basic pack of 1 group and its 4 staffeln for  those jg's that flew the dora and create a "generic" dora pack. Think "defenders of the reich" or so.

My idea would be to create 1 texture set (4 diffuse maps etc) for eg 1./jg2 etc and only change the bort numbers to represent each staffel. So no retex for each staffel in general. 

For a different group, id have to change only one diffuse map since the tailband and group markings are in the same spot anyway. Spec and normal and the rest of the diffuse map wouldnt change.

Id add a texture set for stabs maschinen for each group as a little extra.

Would mean alot of trade offs as in "historical accuracy" (which isnt achievable anway imho) and not so much variation of each jg.,  but would cut down filesize quite a lot.

Id do the jg26 pack anyway but thatll take a bit longer and i want to hear what people think about that.

So its either a small variation but across the board or large variation on a spot.

I want to refrain from doing individual machines. that id leave to others.

Its not difficult to do all of the above but time is the main factor.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by Doughguy

Cool that it is going to be a template as well. 👍

I'm sure you already had a look at the D9 and D13 survivors, the list is sadly very short after all. Anyway those wheel wells seem to have primer applied. But who is to say if that was restoration/preservation work?

Concerning your skin pack I have no strong feels one way or the other. A generic approach is totally fine with me. 

23 hours ago, Doughguy said:

Does anyone know, if those parts were painted in RLM 02 or left in bare metal? Only parts ive seen that are left bare are parts of the flaps.

AFAIK it all was RLM 02, the bare metal thing is only a very late in war time saver to my understanding, in fact what I knew about that were… wooden flaps in late Fw190s and definitely Ta-152.

I mean, late war subjects are all messed up, mixed up, and all but nobody can tell you it's "wrong" going with RLM 02 aside from single examples of this or that.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 2/1/2023 at 12:38 PM, Doughguy said:

On a different note since i'm preparing to retexture the inner structures lile gear wells etc. Does anyone know, if those parts were painted in RLM 02 or left in bare metal? Only parts ive seen that are left bare are parts of the flaps.

Some insight would be cool as i do not have all the literature on the dora and from what i have info is rather sparse.

Also ive come to the conclusion that the yellow greenish "late" RLM76 or so called RLM 99 is just a primer that was used all over the fuselage and parts of the wings to save paint.

RLM 02 or FS 26373 light grey for late ones according to Crandall's book. Late yellow-green rlm 76 and rlm 99 are two different colors, rlm 99 was primer used for inside of fuselage (engine cowlings for example).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, DB 605 said:

rlm 99 was primer used for inside of fuselage (engine cowlings for example).

Hm. My reasearch to that color is as fruitful as  on the RLM 83. I cant really find any hard evidence that this color was actually of a certain color value.

Does Crandalls book contain a swatch?

On the subject of primer, my idea stems primarily from following pictures below when i dug around on the subject of wings being puttied on the dora.
Now, the rendition of the me 262 profile is subject for debate (i dont want to get into cmyk, rgb and chromatic values of fotos vs pc stuff etc), the sheer color similarity is striking.
The hatch part is of an A8s outer wing gun cowling. Dark is the brown RLM 81 and the light the late 76 AND/OR Primer.

Ive read (please forgive me as i forgot were, eventually it was TOCH), that the RLM colors were applied on bare metal and on the wing area bein sanded down, resprayed, rinse and repeat.

Furthermore lookin at profiles and pictures and a bit of reading it appears that front half of the botton wing and whole top were "primed" with one and the same color.
Which could be RLM 75, 76, or 81(whatever shade) directly late in the war. Then a respective disruptive pattern would be applied.
Now, my funny head had an idea, that turned out some others had aswell: Eg on the brown RLM 81 "base prime" of the wing RLM 76 is applied, going against the book.
Respectively RLM 75 and on top of that the darker RLM 81 (AND in tandem OR RLM 82)
Why? Save time and resources. Especially in the later stages of the war, when top surfaces werent even painted in RLM 81+82 combo anymore.
It would be less time consuming and also less complicated.

Now, my mad brain transfered this on the late RLM 76 / primer topic. Like some mad german brass in a cubicle thought: Ok, light blue is getting scarce and is visible on the ground like a scots ar$e in a searchlight, but we still have tons of that "primer" (that we dont really use much anyway), so why not use that?

Also, there is a page in one of Crandalls books i could scavange from a passed internet auction ( i lowlife..), that shows very similar markings on the engine cowling shining through like depicted on the 262.

897f8ee04418b3af3e5f83882f96

But heck knows... i´m no expert,maybe had one too many pints and am open to bein educated.
So in that respect, i´m quite curious how that RLM 99 is supposed to look.

s-l1600 - 2023-02-02T213256.681.jpg

Me 262kodachrome.jpg

65c2f1c052cecc78bb9055994b65139c.jpg

Edited by Doughguy

I know the feeling, late-war colors of luftwaffe is such an mess 😂 And there is still a lot of mysteries left and theories to prove...anyways, here's quick screen from the book.

IMG_20230202_233315.jpgEdit, looking from my phone that looks way too dark, ill take another pic tomorrow

Edited by DB 605
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611684caac6c4053d1708

oh lawd he commeth...

think i just settle on RLM 02 for anything inside...

Ah yes... and also ive wasted a good hour repainting the very same disruptive pattern on the wings, instead of the opposite pattern.. cause i´m an idiot.

Anyway.... some small update..

175dz9.jpg

23fc5b.jpg

The effect of the layerd chipped paint is subtle but its there. Ill reduce the ammount of bare metal chips tho. Bit too much if i look at rl pics.

3ptd0s.jpg

Redid the fuel labels hand painted the letter (cause ...)
The Auf Zu markings on the hatches seem to be embossed telling from real world examples, so i´ll have to take this into account for the normal map later on.

4o9c38.jpg

Also adjusted the dirt /grime color to a pale-grey-ish muddy tan. Looks quite good without havin to adjust opacity or do blending with layer styles in ps.

56oihr.jpg

Late war flaps color block-out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2