Jump to content

My 4090 VR Performance Optimization


Ready

Recommended Posts

I started this topic to track and discuss my challenges with getting the best performance out of my system. I run DCS in windowed mode and run OBS on the side.

My setup

  1. Windows 10 - latest version
  2. RTX 4090, no overclocking
  3. X570 Aorus Master
  4. Ryzen 7 5800x3D, no overclocking
  5. 64GB RAM
  6. Reverb G2 v1.0. Mixed Reality: best quality, 90Hz. 
  7. SSD for DCS and Windows, separated

Configuration

  1. Rebar enabled
  2. XMP Memory Profile
  3. Hyperthreading OFF
  4. DCS Latest OB version
  5. 32GB Pagefile
  6. Game mode OFF
  7. Game Bar OFF
  8. Windows registry Holographic PreallocateVirtualMonitors set to 0
  9. Windows Holographic Shell Stopped ("Go to Computer Management → System Tools → Performance → Data Collector Sets → Event Trace Sessions. In this list, find HolographicShell, right click, and choose ‘Stop’.) 
  10. Windows Power Management Stopped
  11. Windows Graphics performance for DCS set to High Performance. Variable refresh rate ON
  12. HAGS OFF
  13. Nvidia Control Panel: see screenshot
  14. OBS: No render lag and no encoder lag. See screenshot for settings.
  15. DCS: see screenshot
  16. Process Lasso, currently no CPU affinity set. DCS and OBS have both High priority.
    Edit 5-1-2023: ProBalance and Performance Mode enabled
  17. Open-XR Toolkit latest version: Reprojection OFF, Shaking reduction 30%. Upscaling OFF, Foveated rendering OFF, No Framerate throttling
  18. OpenXR Developer Tools latest version: Motion Reprojection: OFF
  19. Edit 7-1-2023: 3dMigoto for sharpening OFF.
  20. DCS No shader mods installed
  21. Unneccesary Windows processes killed
  22. Drivers up to date
  23. TACView on client-side disabled
  24. Nvidia latest drivers, Geforce experience disabled

Edit 01-12-2022
Changed:

  1. Disabled 3dMigoto
  2. Enabled CAS 30% sharpening inside OpenXR

Items tried with no visible advantage:

  1. Frame limiter in NVCP and OpenXR-Toolkit - Removes Judder but gives terrible ghosting
  2. VSync
  3. Adjusting DCS Desktop window size
  4. Game Mode ON
  5. 60Hz in the headset (eyes can't take it)

Items still to try:

  1. Undervolting the 4090
  2. Get a 3rd SSD and have OBS record to this SSD.
  3. OpenXR - FSR 80%: Tried, but gives degraded visuals.
  4. Clouds Ultra: keep them on for now.
  5. Nvidia Control Panel: MFAA 2X or 4X (extra visuals at no extra performance when MSAA is on?)
  6. NvidiaProfileInspector SGSSAA - Sparse Grid Supersampling 4X or 2x
  7. Processor scheduling changing to Background Services

Edit 5-1-2023

Changed:

  1. DCS Shadow High, Terrain Object Shadows Default (as per advice https://forum.dcs.world/topic/313901-my-4090-vr-performance-optimization/?do=findComment&comment=5118986
    Edit 7-1-2023: Tried it but did not notice difference, so reverted back.
  2. OpenXR-Toolkit: Disabled CAS Sharpening (Don't need it).
  3. OpenXR-Toolkit: Switched Motion Reprojection to automatic. (sometimes my FPS drop too low and then I would like for Reprojection to kick in).
    Edit 7-1-2023: Edmuss told me this does not work for DCS. So keep Reprojection OFF.

 

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

 

 

image.png

screenshot.1153.jpg

screenshot.1166.jpg

 

screenshot.1167.jpg

screenshot.1171.jpg


Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion:

 - Within OpenXR, enable FSR

 - Pre-load radius to around 45%

 - Clutter/grass and forrest details to around 30%

 - Shadows OFF

 - Water HIGH

 - For complex missions:  Install the dedicated server.  Run the dedicated server on the same PC (it will use around 6GB of RAM and a different CPU core to the main DCS client) and then login to the mission as you would join any online server.  That will offload AI calculations to a different CPU core

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but why on earth are people with 4090s getting such low min fps on heaven?  I get 51fps minimum with my 3080ti, granted my average is only about 285 and high about 590.

For sharpening I would recommend using CAS from the openxr toolkit, it doesn't upscale at all but the sharpening is really nice; not sure how it might compare to 3Dmigoto performance wise though.

Ryzen7 5800X3D / RTX3080ti / 32GB DDR4 3600 / Reverb G2 / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

In my opinion:

 - Within OpenXR, enable FSR

 - Pre-load radius to around 45%

 - Clutter/grass and forrest details to around 30%

 - Shadows OFF

 - Water HIGH

 - For complex missions:  Install the dedicated server.  Run the dedicated server on the same PC (it will use around 6GB of RAM and a different CPU core to the main DCS client) and then login to the mission as you would join any online server.  That will offload AI calculations to a different CPU core

Thanks! I mostly play Multiplayer. When I enable FSR I see a degradation in visual quality. What is your FRS setting?

With smaller pre-load radius I don't see a noticeable difference.

Clutter/grass gives me no noticeable difference.

Reducing forrest gives me a difference, but because I mainly fly on NTTR (with hardly any trees) I have it set to max.

Shadows I have set to medium because I really like the cockpit experience. Medium is enough, High does not give me much extra.

Water I have set to low because I am mainly in the desert. It brings me not much extra. 

11 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Slightly off topic, but why on earth are people with 4090s getting such low min fps on heaven?  I get 51fps minimum with my 3080ti, granted my average is only about 285 and high about 590.

For sharpening I would recommend using CAS from the openxr toolkit, it doesn't upscale at all but the sharpening is really nice; not sure how it might compare to 3Dmigoto performance wise though.

No idea about the min FPS. Strange indeed.

Will try CAS instead of 3dMigoto. 3dMigoto takes up a couple of FPS. I switched it back on because of my upgraded CPU and GPU, just for the heck of it. When I was on my 3080 I had it switched off because it was taking up too many resources and even with reprojection on it was problematic. 

By the way, we spoke on Discord about my performance in the reverb-hmd channel. Since then I have cleared all my settings in NVCP and NvidiaProfileInspector and this sorted out a lot. I think I over-configured before. Reduced my Anti-aliasing drastically. Still not completely happy, but at least it is no stutter-fest anymore on our server.


Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite frankly I would not bother with most of the tinkering as you end up spending your life on it for very little incremental benefit.  Adjust the main DCS settings to your liking ( I find MSAA 2x is enough as is Anisotropic at 8x or even 4x) but I like clouds on ultra and visib range as well).  Your system should be very smooth with your hardware. Possibly look into process lasso to make sure the vr compositor and other vr related processes are always given high priority if you experience some stutters.

  • Like 1

i5 12600K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + CM2 throttle + ACE pedals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Quite frankly I would not bother with most of the tinkering as you end up spending your life on it for very little incremental benefit.  Adjust the main DCS settings to your liking ( I find MSAA 2x is enough as is Anisotropic at 8x or even 4x) but I like clouds on ultra and visib range as well).  Your system should be very smooth with your hardware. Possibly look into process lasso to make sure the vr compositor and other vr related processes are always given high priority if you experience some stutters.

Yeah tinkering can take up a lot of time. The challenge for me was to find the right settings that bring a reward. With my previous setup it took me quite some time to get the best bang for the buck, running dozens of track files with analysis of fpsVR logs in excel. After my hardware upgrade things got a bit easier, but I am still trying to get things smooth without reprojection, because of all the artifacts that reprojection introduces.

vr compositor I don't use anymore, in process lasso I had it set to high priority and I had it separated from the cores that DCS is using. MSAA 2X gives me jaggies that I don't like. Will try lowering anisotropic. Clouds low are already fairly nice to me, same for visib range high. My challenge is that our group flies on certain evenings and I have no opportunity to play around with my settings then. Because my setup is CPU-bound it really is a challenge to find stuff to reduce CPU load, until we receive the much anticipated DCS enhancements.


Edited by Ready

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a windows update to fix the holographic shell thing. In 11 at least, I've just applied it now.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 32GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ready said:

Yeah tinkering can take up a lot of time. The challenge for me was to find the right settings that bring a reward. With my previous setup it took me quite some time to get the best bang for the buck, running dozens of track files with analysis of fpsVR logs in excel. After my hardware upgrade things got a bit easier, but I am still trying to get things smooth without reprojection, because of all the artifacts that reprojection introduces.

vr compositor I don't use anymore, in process lasso I had it set to high priority and I had it separated from the cores that DCS is using. MSAA 2X gives me jaggies that I don't like. Will try lowering anisotropic. Clouds low are already fairly nice to me, same for visib range high. My challenge is that our group flies on certain evenings and I have no opportunity to play around with my settings then. Because my setup is CPU-bound it really is a challenge to find stuff to reduce CPU load, until we get our much anticipated DCS enhancements.

hehe yes and the hours spent tinkering have to be repeated each time DCS makes an update or windows does or Nvidia does 😉   

Without reprojection I suppose you need >90fps for a smooth experience and I do not think you'll ever get it. 😭

i5 12600K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + CM2 throttle + ACE pedals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

hehe yes and the hours spent tinkering have to be repeated each time DCS makes an update or windows does or Nvidia does 😉   

Without reprojection I suppose you need >90fps for a smooth experience and I do not think you'll ever get it. 😭

Yes exactly. Disable mods->turn off VaicomPro->DCS update->clear shaders cache->update Nvidia ProfileInspector->Turn on mods->run track file->get dissapointed and tinker some more. 

Luckily when I am in the air I am getting many times 90FPS now, but still get some judders here and there, for example while looking at terrain while banking.

I frequently also get an FPS hit, probably because somewhere across the other side of the map (far outside of my range) a script is starting and some ground units start doing their thing. My DCS then gets a 30FPS hit, while my GPU is doing nothing. This also happens when I am in the air in the dark, looking into a clear black sky. 

48 minutes ago, Brun said:

There's a windows update to fix the holographic shell thing. In 11 at least, I've just applied it now.

tnx, will take a look. 

Edit: Could not find it yet. Created a scheduled batch file that stops the HolographicShell event trace session, so for the time being it should be no factor. (I don't even know if it is a W10 issue), but just in case. Thanks to zerosuneuphoria:  https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/win-11-update-causing-stutters/543631/127


Edited by Ready

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Normally approx. 90FPS stable, but at night on our NTTR server strange behaviour. Increased Visibility range to Ultra

image.png


Edited by Ready

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changed:

  1. Disabled 3dMigoto
  2. Enabled CAS 30% sharpening inside OpenXR
  3. NvidiaProfileInspector SGSSAA - Sparse Grid Supersampling 4X - Beautiful but heavy impact
  4. Nvidia Control Panel: MFAA 2X (extra visuals at no extra performance when MSAA is on?)
  5. Processor scheduling changed to Background Services (https://www.thewindowsclub.com/processor-scheduling-in-windows-7-8)

Items tried with no visible advantage:

  1. Frame limiter in NVCP and OpenXR-Toolkit - Removes Judder but gives terrible ghosting
  2. VSync
  3. Adjusting DCS Desktop window size
  4. Game Mode ON
  5. 60Hz in the headset (eyes can't take it)

Items still to try:

  1. Undervolting the 4090
  2. Get a 3rd SSD and have OBS record to this SSD.
  3. Reducing OpenXR-Toolkit: shaking reduction
  4. OpenXR - FSR 80%
  5. Clouds Ultra

Edited by Ready
  • Like 2

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My current performance is about 45 FPS on the ground (476th NTTR DS1 server) and about 90FPS in the air. Reprojection turned off and with current Anti-aliasing settings very clear. At some areas on the NTTR Map I do get CPU bound (like doing target practice and overflying the range, or while looking towards certain area's at Nellis). Will tinker more to see if I can further reduce the CPU load in these areas. Will try to stay away from Reprojection because of the introduction of too many wobbles and artifacts, which are very distracting while using a VR kneeboard.

Additional items tested;

  1. Tried Clouds at Ultra - It removes shimmers but increases frametime. Reduced back to Low. Good enough for my puposes
  2. OpenXR Toolkit Shaking reduction - The only visible impact is lag while quickly panning when going above 40%. Leave it between 20-30 for more stable recordings.
  3. OpenXR-Toolkit FRS - tried at 80%, but great decrease in clarity and not too much visible gain in performance. Reverted back to CAS. 
  4. Processor scheduling - switch back to programs priority. Had no visible gain and got the impression the response of the game was a bit lower, but no hard data.
  5. Anisotropic Filtering - tried lowering, but no clear gain, so left it at 16x.

Black screens - Somehow one of my modifications introduced blackscreens while opening certain documents (for example just opening MS-Word and MS-Excel and MS Onenote). Screen stays black, until ALT-F4 to close it and then screen returns to normal. reverted to older Nvidia drivers, but no visible improvement.

Server disconnects - Had one server disconnect and about 10percent packet loss, which was caused by server-side issue. Server restart fixed it. The last 12 months had various server time-outs and disconnects, which have been fixed by adjusting many LAN settings and replacing hardware and adjusting cabling. Also bufferbloat has been resolved by changing router and introducing QOS - traffic shaping. 


Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure your Uningine results are where they should be, my results with my 4080 are bellow.

Looking at your nvidia CP settings, you might want to set power management to max performance.
 

Have you compared SteamVR vs OpenXR?  For me OpenXR is more stable, I was getting occasional stuttering with SteamVR.

As far as setting in OpenXR TK, I find that using Fix Foveated Rendering provides a nicer result than NIS or FSR in performance and image quality.

image.png


Edited by WipeUout
Typo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-12700KF, 32GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, RTX 4080, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WipeUout said:

Not sure your Uningine results are where they should be, my results with my 4080 are bellow.

Looking at your nvidia CP settings, you might want to set power management to max performance.
 

Have you compared SteamVR vs OpenXR?  For me OpenXR is more stable, I was getting occasional stuttering with SteamVR.

As far as setting in OpenXR TK, I find that using Fix Foveated Rendering provides a nicer result than NIS or FSR in performance and image quality.

 

 

Nice catch! I don't know why my power management was on 'normal'. Maybe because after clearing everything to defaults I forgot to put it back to max performance.

I compared SteamVR vs OpenXR. I tried switching back to SteamVR a couple of weeks ago, but could not get it stable. I am so used to the user friendliness of OpenXR, so I quickly went back to OpenXR. I do miss fspVR and my VR kneeboard overlay in OBS though. If a future SteamVR update would be more stable I might switch back again.

Foveated rendering improves performance a bit, but gives me quite degraded visuals, even when I set it to the lowest settings. I see the lower resolution in the corner of my eyes and it really distracts me. Also when I look back at recordings I don't like that lower resolution in the corners of the recording. I had it switched on when on the 3080, but now I can live without it most of the times. 

  • Like 1

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ready said:

Foveated rendering improves performance a bit, but gives me quite degraded visuals, even when I set it to the lowest settings. I see the lower resolution in the corner of my eyes and it really distracts me.

Oh, I did not experienced this since I use a Pimax with wider field of view.  Foveated is definitely more suited for wide field of view.  Thank for the feedback and useful information on your quest to better visuals/performance.👍

  • Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i7-12700KF, 32GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, RTX 4080, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Next OpenXR settings to try (thanks @edmuss)

- 3300 resolution override

- NIS75%

- FFR quality/wide

- Turbo mode on

- FPS locked to 55fps

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic post, this is the level of detail required to do accurate benchmarking. By the way, I believe NVIDIA control panel MSAA does not work in DCS. 

So it looks like you get around 45fps on the ground, but then 90fps up in the air? Is the latter still true when you're in a furball with multiple other aircraft? I have an identical PC setup to you, and despise the reprojection artefacts, so need at least 75fps to maintain a level of fluidity.


Edited by GunSlingerOZ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

Are you going to leave 3dmigoto off?

I had it on before and will try with/without. I was using it for sharpening and some color improvements.

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, GunSlingerOZ said:

Fantastic post, this is the level of detail required to do accurate benchmarking. By the way, I believe NVIDIA control panel MSAA does not work in DCS. 

So it looks like you get around 45fps on the ground, but then 90fps up in the air? Is the latter still true when you're in a furball with multiple other aircraft? I have an identical PC setup to you, and despise the reprojection artefacts, so need at least 75fps to maintain a level of fluidity.

 

I wish fpsVR was working, so I could get some hard data via a csv file. I know there is a functionality available but haven't found the time to tinker with it yet. Will see if I can get my trackfile going again so I get some hard data.

My FPS depends on where I am and what our server is doing and what other pilots are doing. When on the ground on our NTTR MP server I get wishy washy performance, sometimes 60-70, but it can also drop down to 30-ish. That's because I am CPU-bound all the time nowadays. In the air the same thing. When on one of our ranges FPS drops to 40's and when just enroute I get great performance, because low CPU. I haven't done many furballing because I mainly fly the hog and am practicing A2G things in our training pipeline.

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

with a M.2 drive, i have lowered my preload radius to 25000 which is close to 0.. no where near max

also set NVIDA CP low latency mode to Ultra..

also DCS executable properties, i set disable full screen optimizations.


Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, hannibal said:

with a M.2 drive, i have lowered my preload radius to 25000 which is close to 0.. no where near max

also set NVIDA CP low latency mode to Ultra..

also DCS executable properties, i set disable full screen optimizations.

 

Thanks. Full screen optimizations are set. Will try the others.

Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina 
476th virtual Fighter Group - 76 vFighter Squadron  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Reverb G2, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, VoiceAttack, VAICOM PRO, TACView, SRS, Monstertech deskmounts. Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Ready said:

I had it on before and will try with/without. I was using it for sharpening and some color improvements.

These are my current settings. I don't quite have the horsepower you do. My specs are in my signature.

  • 120% render resolution in OXR Tools
  • FSR at 75% (I have sharpening on but can't really tell a difference)
  • FFV on Quality/Wide
  • Reprojection on and set to Auto
  • 3dmigoto used for +1.3 cockpit/HUD sharpening and +0.2 haze reduction
  • DCS settings
    • Textures: High
    • Terrain Textures: High
    • Water: High
    • Vis Range: Medium
    • Shadows: Medium
    • MSAA: 2x
    • Anistropic Filtering: 16x
    • Terrain Shadows: Off

I know most people leave render res at 100% but I'm able to turn it up a bit since I use reprojection. The clarity is so good! I stay locked at 45fps in free flights.

VR Flight Sim Guy released this video a few hours ago. Maybe try playing with the resolution?

 


Edited by Tusk.V

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

These are my current settings. I don't quite have the horsepower you do. My specs are in my signature.

  • 120% render resolution in OXR Tools
  • FSR at 75% (I have sharpening on but can't really tell a difference)
  • FFV on Quality/Wide
  • Reprojection on and set to Auto
  • 3dmigoto used for +1.3 cockpit/HUD sharpening and +0.2 haze reduction
  • DCS settings
    • Textures: High
    • Terrain Textures: High
    • Water: High
    • Vis Range: Medium
    • Shadows: Medium
    • MSAA: 2x
    • Anistropic Filtering: 16x
    • Terrain Shadows: Off

I know most people leave render res at 100% but I'm able to turn it up a bit since I use reprojection. The clarity is so good! I stay locked at 45fps in free flights.

VR Flight Sim Guy released this video a few hours ago. Maybe try playing with the resolution?

 

 

 

I like VR Flight Sim Guy and enjoy his videos and the enthusiasm he brings to them. However after his extreme high praise on Varjo's new Motion Smoothing for the Aero during his visit to their facility I am not going to put as much stock into what he says going forward. Varjo's new Motion Smoothing is a total wreck and pathetic , worse than any I have ever seen... That thing should have never been released in the state it currently is in. 

  • Like 3

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

I like VR Flight Sim Guy and enjoy his videos and the enthusiasm he brings to them. However after his extreme high praise on Varjo's new Motion Smoothing for the Aero during his visit to their facility I am not going to put as much stock into what he says going forward. Varjo's new Motion Smoothing is a total wreck and pathetic , worse than any I have ever seen... That thing should have never been released in the state it currently is in. 

Very few well established commentators on YT are all that trustworthy. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to remain objective either if someone was (maybe) sending me a headset like that for free! I don't even believe they do it on purpose most of the time, and I'm sure theres a good chance he fully believed the MS was great! But I'm sure as with the VIVE it will be worth it in the end if they can get it sorted quickly! I went for about two years with the original vive and it's inferior reprojection, being very jealous of occulus at the time (as well as suffering horrible momentary loading screens in DCS whenever things exploded)! Though I hadn't dropped two grand on *that* headset!


Edited by Wolf8312

------------

 

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...