On 12/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, Ready said:

I haven't done many furballing because I mainly fly the hog and am practicing A2G things in our training pipeline.

Yep, I find VR is much more acceptable in A2G missions, as motion reprojection artefacts of nearby aircraft are less commonplace. 

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Varjo's new Motion Smoothing is a total wreck and pathetic , worse than any I have ever seen... That thing should have never been released in the state it currently is in. 

Is it that bad? 😬 

Away, so I havent tested it yet.

can it be used with ”Force_steamVR” or do it only work in Varjos default? 

I actually do not really need it after my upgrade, but was still hoping. That VR Sim guy vid was promising.

I get 90fps in most situations now, but for the few exceptions it wouldnt hurt.

As a side note, I noticed that there is teo cores sharing the high thread since some time back, and not only one. 
I get 4-6ms frame time with my 13900KF and the 4090 is at 8-11 so always GPU bond. 

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

9 minutes ago, Gunnars Driver said:

Is it that bad? 😬 

Away, so I havent tested it yet.

can it be used with ”Force_steamVR” or do it only work in Varjos default? 

I actually do not really need it after my upgrade, but was still hoping. That VR Sim guy vid was promising.

I get 90fps in most situations now, but for the few exceptions it wouldnt hurt.

As a side note, I noticed that there is teo cores sharing the high thread since some time back, and not only one. 
I get 4-6ms frame time with my 13900KF and the 4090 is at 8-11 so always GPU bond. 

Yeah it is really that bad. Can't really say on your force steam vr question.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

At the current state, Varjo's motion smoothing works as long as your head remains stationary.  If you move your head around there's this 0.5-1sec period of image retention artifacts, then everything catches up and it becomes smooth again.  The cost is also high on GPU/CPU processing, so they need to work on optimization.  I think they're trying to implement it such that it will work with both SteamVR and OpenXR, but the problem is that it doesn't work well with either.  Might be better just to stick with SteamVR's motion smoothing...but to actually make something happen is probably harder than you think and that's why it hasn't happened yet.

The good news is that this latest release is the only version that Varjo desktop shows no artifacts on windows taskbar with head movement on my setup (since the 4090 upgrade).

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

@Readyhow did you do 

1. OBS: No render lag and no encoder lag.

Couldn't figure it out

There is an option to display a status window. In there it gives this information.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On todo list: Experiment with terrain shadow settings. VR Performance and 2.8 shadows. Thanks to @Rapierarch

• Like 3

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 11/29/2022 at 10:50 PM, Ready said:

Process Lasso, currently no CPU affinity set. DCS and OBS have both High priority

Question: do you turn off the "Pro Balance" service or you just leave it as default?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:33 PM, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Question: do you turn off the "Pro Balance" service or you just leave it as default?

Hi iirc i have peformance mode and ProBalance service enabled. Will check when I return home from travel. 
Edit: yes I have them both turned on.

Edited by Ready
  • Thanks 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Also, when everybody out that tell us to turn of the gorram Windows "Game Mode", why do we turn it back on now?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

when i measured it last, the difference so small as to be runtime variance between tests, but marginally faster with it on

FPS app CPU(ms) render CPU(ms) GPU (ms) Notes
75.70 9.22 6.76 11.68 Game Mode Off
76.33 9.15 6.73 11.57 Game Mode On 
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

when i measured it last, the difference so small as to be runtime variance between tests, but marginally faster with it on

FPS app CPU(ms) render CPU(ms) GPU (ms) Notes
75.70 9.22 6.76 11.68 Game Mode Off
76.33 9.15 6.73 11.57 Game Mode On 

Yes same here. I couldn't really tell the difference. I guess these stats are still from your fpsVR period? I did not start using csv exports via OXR yet, did you?

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

5 minutes ago, Ready said:

Yes same here. I couldn't really tell the difference. I guess these stats are still from your fpsVR period? I did not start using csv exports via OXR yet, did you?

these are from OXR which seems to work very well and provides data in a nice CSV file, i'm trying to get to a more consolidated pov before i go live with some of the numbers, nothing traumatic i just enjoy playing the game more than i do perf testing it , I also moved over to Syria and the Apache for my testing as it was too easy to max the fps with the 4090FE

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

9 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

these are from OXR which seems to work very well and provides data in a nice CSV file, i'm trying to get to a more consolidated pov before i go live with some of the numbers, nothing traumatic i just enjoy playing the game more than i do perf testing it , I also moved over to Syria and the Apache for my testing as it was too easy to max the fps with the 4090FE

Ahh nice. The hog remains my airframe of choice for the foreseable future.

Will jump back into using csv's and update my benchmark table when I return. I am tinkering with anti-aliasing at the moment trying to get the best clarity, hoping I can stay off reprojection. The bottleneck is the CPU at the moment. 

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 11/30/2022 at 12:35 AM, edmuss said:

Slightly off topic, but why on earth are people with 4090s getting such low min fps on heaven?  I get 51fps minimum with my 3080ti, granted my average is only about 285 and high about 590.

For sharpening I would recommend using CAS from the openxr toolkit, it doesn't upscale at all but the sharpening is really nice; not sure how it might compare to 3Dmigoto performance wise though.

Because there’s more to it than just throwing the biggest GPU in a system. 

Edited by dawgie79

@Ready would you mind updating the first post for easier follow?  Thanks!

On 1/1/2023 at 1:30 PM, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

@Ready would you mind updating the first post for easier follow?  Thanks!

Sure, will do once back from travels.
Edit: done.

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

The best I've been able to do with the 4090 and reverb G2 is to put steam scale resolution to 150% (sorry but i tested oxr several times and I have not noticed performance increase) and enjoy clarity. Of course motion reprojection and with 45 FPS. The 4090 is perfectly capable of manage this upscale not being upset.

On 12/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Tusk.V said:
  • 120% render resolution in OXR Tools
  • FSR at 75% (I have sharpening on but can't really tell a difference)
  • FFV on Quality/Wide
  • Reprojection on and set to Auto

How to set the render resolution in OXR? Would it be SteamVR instead?

What is FFV?

And where can I set reprojection on? I guess it is VR headset specific.

Nevermind, got them figured out. Thank you.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Like 1

I find this video and related ones, very inspirational. Even though the creator is not running 2.8

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

Open-XR Toolkit tweaks;

• FPS Lock - As per advice of @edmuss I locked the FPS in OpenXR to 55. This gives a lot of stability when looking at the in-game status bars. The green and white lines calm down. I do get a little bit of ghosting, but I already got used to that.
  • Reprojection auto - I am still trying to figure out having reprojection on auto and to have it kick in when it needs to kick in. With reprojection on auto it is not yet clear for me when the actual reprojection kicks in. 

OBS Performance impact

Since I always have OBS (recording) on when flying, the performance of OBS might also be a factor. When I was using a 3080 I clearly had an FPS impact when turning OBS ON/OFF. 

I changed my OBS recording to AV1 encoding and am tweaking my encoding settings at the moment, trying to see if I can get 4k recording going on without buffer issues or frame loss issues. Changing the encoder seems to have lowered my CPU usage a bit. Not yet clear if this a factor for DCS with my 4090. Will test a bit more and get some numbers in here soon. Will also add my OBS settings to this thread.

• Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

5 minutes ago, Ready said:

Open-XR Toolkit tweaks;

• FPS Lock - As per advice of @edmuss I locked the FPS in OpenXR to 55. This gives a lot of stability when looking at the in-game status bars. The green and white lines calm down. I do get a little bit of ghosting, but I already got used to that.
  • Reprojection auto - I am still trying to figure out having reprojection on auto and to have it kick in when it needs to kick in. With reprojection on auto it is not yet clear for me when the actual reprojection kicks in. 

OBS Performance impact

Since I always have OBS (recording) on when flying, the performance of OBS might also be a factor. When I was using a 3080 I clearly had an FPS impact when turning OBS ON/OFF. 

I changed my OBS recording to AV1 encoding and am tweaking my encoding settings at the moment, trying to see if I can get 4k recording going on without buffer issues or frame loss issues. Changing the encoder seems to have lowered my CPU usage a bit. Not yet clear if this a factor for DCS with my 4090. Will test a bit more and get some numbers in here soon. Will also add my OBS settings to this thread.

Reprojection on auto in DCS means that it's disabled, the auto setting is PURELY for MSFS, anything else it's turned off.  To get it do what you want, set it to always on and leave the reprojection rate unlocked within openxr toolkit.  The nomeculature is a little confusing but that's what you need to do 🙂

Obviously locking framerate with reprojection enabled is a no go, with the 4090 you should be able to hold >55fps till the cows come home.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 minute ago, edmuss said:

Reprojection on auto in DCS means that it's disabled, the auto setting is PURELY for MSFS, anything else it's turned off.  To get it do what you want, set it to always on and leave the reprojection rate unlocked within openxr toolkit.  The nomeculature is a little confusing but that's what you need to do 🙂

Obviously locking framerate with reprojection enabled is a no go, with the 4090 you should be able to hold >55fps till the cows come home.

Okay got it. I thought it could be off abd only kick in when needed. 

Will make a small video showing the stability with framerate lock adjustments. Am not ble to keep FPS above 55 because of CPU. Will make a recording to demonstrate.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Short question, have you tried SteamVR instead of OpenXR lately? When I checked, I got better performance with 4090 on steamVR, it received some stability and performance improvements no so long ago. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro