4 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

it's a little complicated:

1) you use AHK to generate a script:

Run "C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit\companion.exe" -record-stats toggle
SoundBeep, 750, 500

you might need to change your path depending on where OXRTK is installed 

2) and then use AHK to turn the script in to an exe.

3) which i then map to a command on my keyboard, you could also use AHK to map that to a keyboard command , I map it to Function + F, but use whatever key map works best for you

4) then press which ever key you have assigned the macro to to start, you will get a beep

5) and then press again to stop, you will get a beep 

6) a csv file will be created within the C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\OpenXR-Toolkit\stats directory, which will have your recorded stats in it (xxxxx being whatever username you use)

Yes I have been playing around with it as well last week. Created a batch file instead of AHK, I have no clue about scripting.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

OpenXR Toolkit Saturation and Brightness

Have been playing around with OpenXR Toolkit's settings for saturation and brightness and must say inside the headset everything really came to life. Won't be needing a third party mod for these things anymore. 

G2 Blackscreens

I started having black screens in my G2 headset. First the right eye turns black, then the left joins in as well and total blackness stays for quite a few seconds and then it repeats. Someties it takes longer than others, I am not sure what the cause in my case is, but read that many users have similar problems. Might have to start thinking about switching headsets. Looking out for the next best thing. Don't think I will replace with another G2, even though visuals are nice I have been having too many issues with G2.

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Hello, any chance of updating the first page? 🙂 Thanks

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

3 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Hello, any chance of updating the first page? 🙂 Thanks

I did recently, let me check what I missed.

Edited by Ready
  • Thanks 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Well, you’ve inspired me to grab a 4090. It’ll be here tomorrow. Installed an i7 13700kf last week. I’m coming from a 3090 so I’m excited to see how much better it is. I’m currently using 3dmigoto but would like to turn everything off if I can. Are you happy with 200%/170%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

16 hours ago, Tusk.V said:

Well, you’ve inspired me to grab a 4090. It’ll be here tomorrow. Installed an i7 13700kf last week. I’m coming from a 3090 so I’m excited to see how much better it is. I’m currently using 3dmigoto but would like to turn everything off if I can. Are you happy with 200%/170%?

Coming from the 3080 I love the 4090. I did have some work getting it stable into my rig (it is sticking out because of its size, luckily I have a testbench-cpu case that is completely open, will post a picture later) and it took time and patience getting Windows stable, which was booting and resetting all the time, I guess because of early driver issues.

I did not have the time yet to really compare the differences between 100% render scale without sharpening/upscaling. My first impression was that both are similar smooth (will run a trackfile to get the actual numbers), but the 100% renderscale seemed a bit sharper. Will probably choose the one with the better performance and run it for a while and see if I can get used to it. 

If I were you, just switch off 3dmigoto and use OpenXR Tools to increase saturation etc and see if you can get used to it. I don't really miss the haze reduction and am quite happy with the visual quality. My main issue is that I still am CPU-bound, because I fly MP most of the times and at places in SP it also stutters. I really don't want to turn on motion reprojection anymore..

My first priority now is getting the G2 stable again or upgrading it for something else. Let me know how it goes with the 4090. Any tips you find out are very welcome!  

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

3 hours ago, Ready said:

Coming from the 3080 I love the 4090. I did have some work getting it stable into my rig (it is sticking out because of its size, luckily I have a testbench-cpu case that is completely open, will post a picture later) and it took time and patience getting Windows stable, which was booting and resetting all the time, I guess because of early driver issues.

I did not have the time yet to really compare the differences between 100% render scale without sharpening/upscaling. My first impression was that both are similar smooth (will run a trackfile to get the actual numbers), but the 100% renderscale seemed a bit sharper. Will probably choose the one with the better performance and run it for a while and see if I can get used to it. 

If I were you, just switch off 3dmigoto and use OpenXR Tools to increase saturation etc and see if you can get used to it. I don't really miss the haze reduction and am quite happy with the visual quality. My main issue is that I still am CPU-bound, because I fly MP most of the times and at places in SP it also stutters. I really don't want to turn on motion reprojection anymore..

My first priority now is getting the G2 stable again or upgrading it for something else. Let me know how it goes with the 4090. Any tips you find out are very welcome!  

Thanks! I have the side panel off my case so it shouldn't be a problem. I have reprojection turned on right now (only fly fixed wing) but I'm hoping I'm able to turn it off.

1 hour ago, Tusk.V said:

Thanks! I have the side panel off my case so it shouldn't be a problem. I have reprojection turned on right now (only fly fixed wing) but I'm hoping I'm able to turn it off.

I have been flying with reprojection on for all the time I used the 3080. I actually got used to the wobbles, which are really apparent and were always bugging me when using the vr kneeboards but I had to accept it. With the 4090 I can now have reprojection off in many places, but it still gives me issues here and there. I haven't done enough longer sessions on our server when it is busy to really form a decent opinion at this moment. I will keep reprojection off until I run into a situation that I can not get through. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

8 hours ago, Ready said:

What kind of frames are you getting at the moment? I've currently got a 4090 but waiting on upgrading my CPU. Probably to the 5800x3d.  Just wonderign what I could expect.

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

5 hours ago, durka-durka said:

What kind of frames are you getting at the moment? I've currently got a 4090 but waiting on upgrading my CPU. Probably to the 5800x3d.  Just wonderign what I could expect.

45-90 depending on location. Sorry for the big range. For example see this recording taken on the ramp on Nellis, on our MP server where it greatly differs depending where I look. When I switched from 5800 to 5800x3D that was a big improvement as well. Unfortunately I did not take measurements running trackfiles before/after the changes. Will start running some trackfiles again to benchmark fps and frametime.

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 1/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, speed-of-heat said:

I dont replicate those results... I get much worse aliasing for only marginally better performance

Measurements  Delta  
FPS 1% Low 0.1% Low app CPU(ms) render CPU(ms) GPU (ms) FPS app CPU render CPU GPU Notes
71.80 64.75 58.82 14.00 10.30 13.67 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 OXRT Slider Testing Baseline everything at 100% no FSR 
48.15 44.45 40.46 20.83 11.04 20.45 23.65 -6.83 -0.74 -6.78 OXRT Slider Testing Slider at 200% 
74.38 66.44 59.78 13.51 10.30 12.17 -2.58 0.49 0.00 1.50 OXRT Slider Testing Slider at 200%  & OXRTK FSR 170%

While it is an "raw" performance improvement, it really doesnt offset,enough the graphics quality downgrade, IMO. 

I ran the same tests, albeit with another trackfile and another setup. Here are my results. Red text is delta from previous test.

My conclusion is performance (fps and frametimes) between both configurations is about the same. So I will probably leave it at 100% Render Scale & FSR disabled for now. I also tried MSAA4x in test 107, but that did not fly. With reprojection on I can run anything I want, but with reprojection OFF it is a big hit.

image.jpeg

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Reprojection essentially allows you double the frame time budget for a given refresh rate... I think we are functionally in the same position. That's why I trained myself to 60hz...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Can you all tell a noticeable difference between 150% render res and 100%? I’m at 150 with repro on, FSR off. It’s very smooth but not sure it’s worth it.

31 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

Can you all tell a noticeable difference between 150% render res and 100%? I’m at 150 with repro on, FSR off. It’s very smooth but not sure it’s worth it.

The important question is can you see a difference... If you can go with it... If you can't...

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

The important question is can you see a difference... If you can go with it... If you can't...
I just cranked up some of my settings now that I have a 4090. It’s not a big enough difference from 100 to 150 for me. I’m going to leave it at 100.

I still like having reprojection on. No FSR or FFR for me.

2 hours ago, Tusk.V said:

I just cranked up some of my settings now that I have a 4090. It’s not a big enough difference from 100 to 150 for me. I’m going to leave it at 100.

I still like having reprojection on. No FSR or FFR for me.

I also keep FSR and FFR off. FFR is off because it really shows up in my videos. Inside the headset I hardly notice but while watching back recordings it really looks bad. My main issue with reprojection is the artifacts wobbles, especially on the kneeboards. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

2.8 VR FPS loss fix?

I came across a Reddit thread by Bz_maple about a fix for VR issues which for many started with OB 2.8 update. I was curious to see what it did for my setup. Inside the thread a few other ideas were mentioned and I had a few other things I wanted to test;

1. VR Mirror Options - Use DCS System Resolution - This setting was already ON
  2. VR Mirror Options - Crop To Rectangle - Not tested, don't think it will make a difference. 
  3. Lowering Desktop Mirror Resolution - Reduced from 1600x900 to 1024x768. (Test 108), lost 3 FPS and frametime stayed about thesame. So that is weird.
  4. Switched off MSAA inside DCS trying to gain a few more FPS and get as closer to my headset's native frequency of 90Hz. (Test 109)
  5. Switched resolution back to 1600x900 and ran test again (110). This time I lost about 1 FPS. What?!? Will stay at 1600x900 for now.

null

image.png

• Thanks 2

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 1/18/2023 at 11:01 PM, Ready said:

G2 Blackscreens

I started having black screens in my G2 headset. First the right eye turns black, then the left joins in as well and total blackness stays for quite a few seconds and then it repeats. Someties it takes longer than others, I am not sure what the cause in my case is, but read that many users have similar problems. Might have to start thinking about switching headsets. Looking out for the next best thing. Don't think I will replace with another G2, even though visuals are nice I have been having too many issues with G2.

G2 Blackscreen fix?
I just did some a small flight and had a big explosion at which point directly my right screen turned black and the left followed. I read somewhere it could be caused by the headset volume being set too high. I always have my headset volume set to the max. So I will keep it lower from now on and see how that goes.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 hour ago, Ready said:

2.8 VR FPS loss fix?

I came across a Reddit thread by Bz_maple about a fix for VR issues which for many started with OB 2.8 update. I was curious to see what it did for my setup. Inside the thread a few other ideas were mentioned and I had a few other things I wanted to test;

1. VR Mirror Options - Use DCS System Resolution - This setting was already ON
  2. VR Mirror Options - Crop To Rectangle - Not tested, don't think it will make a difference. 
  3. Lowering Desktop Mirror Resolution - Reduced from 1600x900 to 1024x768. (Test 108), lost 3 FPS and frametime stayed about thesame. So that is weird.
  4. Switched off MSAA inside DCS trying to gain a few more FPS and get as closer to my headset's native frequency of 90Hz. (Test 109)
  5. Switched resolution back to 1600x900 and ran test again (110). This time I lost about 1 FPS. What?!? Will stay at 1600x900 for now.

null

image.png

I did respond on that thread, I think the "benefits" are marginal at best....

1 hour ago, Ready said:

G2 Blackscreen fix?
I just did some a small flight and had a big explosion at which point directly my right screen turned black and the left followed. I read somewhere it could be caused by the headset volume being set too high. I always have my headset volume set to the max. So I will keep it lower from now on and see how that goes.

There was a firmware update?

14 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I did respond on that thread, I think the "benefits" are marginal at best....

There was a firmware update?

Ah yes I saw your response, agree with the outcome.

The only G2 firmware update I found was 15.Rev. A - audio update dated April 13 2021, which I have installed for a while now. So I hope lowering my volume will keep my screen blackouts at bay.

• Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

This is what my rig looks like at the moment. Will move to another room soon and will do some proper cable management. I might replace the case. The current one is a testbench case, which gives me easy access. I had to move the CPU cooler rig up to make space for the 4090.

null

image.jpeg

• Like 2

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 1/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, speed-of-heat said:

this what i see with HAGS in Windows 11 and my 4090:

Average Measurements  Delta  
FPS 1% Low 0.1% Low app CPU(ms) render CPU(ms) GPU (ms) FPS app CPU render CPU GPU Notes
72.24 65.47 60.47 13.94 10.32 13.60 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 HAGS Test OFF - Baseline
70.91 63.76 54.71 14.16 10.35 13.99 1.33 -0.22 -0.03 -0.39 HAGS  Test On  Test 1
70.57 64.50 63.05 14.21 10.21 14.09 1.66 -0.27 0.10 -0.49 HAGS  Test On  Test 2

a borderline reduction in pure FPS, but a potential reduction in 0.1% lows .

If I may ask, how do you calculate the 1% and .1% lows in excel? I am currently only calculating fps and frametime averages but this clearly is not painting a correct picture. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

4 hours ago, Ready said:

If I may ask, how do you calculate the 1% and .1% lows in excel? I am currently only calculating fps and frametime averages but this clearly is not painting a correct picture. 

Order the table by the fps column smallest first, and take the average of the the fps column  as the average fps, reduce the values looked at to the first 1 percent  and so on. It does require a sufficiently long track and or using the higher "resolution" stats, I can't remember what they are called.

Certainly for me I tend to be very suspicious of any delta that is less than 0.5ms unless I can reproduce it over multiple runs.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Reprojection essentially allows you double the frame time budget for a given refresh rate... I think we are functionally in the same position. That's why I trained myself to 60hz...

Are you at 60hz with your 4090?

yes, for a number of reasons:

- in a number of scenarios i am CPU Limited 

- in some scenarios i am GPU limited (rare but it does happen)

- but for example, the channel, marianas or syria, and some other high-density missions i can't reach 90 fps reliably 

- but in nearly all scenarios i can achieve at least 70FPS (Marianas is the exception)

- i find it less disruptive to hit 60hz than i do to hit 70fps at 90hz. 

• Like 1