The only caveat I find to 60Hz is that if you miss the 60fps vsync then it gets very stuttery, far more than you see on 90Hz.  I can pull 95-65 fps reliably*, I'm very rarely CPU bound and the smoothness of refresh rate is just so much better - on testing 55fps locked I was finding I was getting tired eyes very quickly although for short term this was ok.

*Running 3300 wide resolution override with NIS@75%.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

The only caveat I find to 60Hz is that if you miss the 60fps vsync then it gets very stuttery, far more than you see on 90Hz.  I can pull 95-65 fps reliably*, I'm very rarely CPU bound and the smoothness of refresh rate is just so much better - on testing 55fps locked I was finding I was getting tired eyes very quickly although for short term this was ok.

*Running 3300 wide resolution override with NIS@75%.

That's very strange its the reverse for me, 90hz seems much more sensitive... How very odd!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have reprojection on. I don't fly helicopters but I can see where that would be annoying. I just can't put up with the blurriness when looking down at the ground. Should it be blurry if I'm at 70-90fps with reprojection off?

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

That's very strange its the reverse for me, 90hz seems much more sensitive... How very odd!

See the instant I drop below 60 it's stutter city for me on 60hz, where as on 90hz it's nowhere near as bad. 90hz at 55fps locked seems to be a weird sweetspot that works nicely - just that touch smoother than 45 or 89 it anything else in between. 55fps at 60hz is uncomfortable for me.

I think perhaps my eyes compensate the 55fps easier or it's purely placebo but I'm not the only person to witness it.

41 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

I have reprojection on. I don't fly helicopters but I can see where that would be annoying. I just can't put up with the blurriness when looking down at the ground. Should it be blurry if I'm at 70-90fps with reprojection off?

Not at 60hz, it will be perfectly smooth and image clarity without reprojection is a fair bit better.

That's if you can handle the refresh rate flicker although there are things you can do to alleviate it. It may be possible to force yourself to get used to it, @speed-of-heatmanaged it as less than 12 months ago he couldn't run 60hz.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

1 minute ago, edmuss said:

See the instant I drop below 60 it's stutter city for me on 60hz, where as on 90hz it's nowhere near as bad. 90hz at 55fps locked seems to be a weird sweetspot that works nicely - just that touch smoother than 45 or 89 it anything else in between. 55fps at 60hz is uncomfortable for me.

I think perhaps my eyes compensate the 55fps easier or it's purely placebo but I'm not the only person to witness it.

Not at 60hz, it will be perfectly smooth and image clarity without reprojection is a fair bit better.

That's if you can handle the refresh rate flicker although there are things you can do to alleviate it. It may be possible to force yourself to get used to it, @speed-of-heatmanaged it as less than 12 months ago he couldn't run 60hz.

I'll give it a shot. I haven't tried 60hz yet.

Some people can't stand it at all some can, the flicker has never affected me; noticeable but never the cause of any discomfort. I have only ever used 60hz displays though so it might be that I've not ruined myself with high refresh rate monitors 😁

Brighter displays show the flicker up more so the sunglasses filter in openxr toolkit post processing can help take the edge off.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

That's strange, for me it is the opposite, I can manage 60-50 without any problems at all, but if I'm under 80 at 90 is blurry stutter mess.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

The beauty of 60hz is that it's relatively easy (with decent hardware) to get above refresh rate in DCS and because it's all synced up there is zero stutter from the VR compositor, of course if you have other I/O issues that can cause stutter.

23 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

That's strange, for me it is the opposite, I can manage 60-50 without any problems at all, but if I'm under 80 at 90 is blurry stutter mess.

That's mental 😁

Is this high level or down low? I'm generally below 100m so the relative differential speed of objects is quite high even if airspeed is low. What vsync settings do you use?

So looking 3-9 out of the cockpit and it's not a slideshow with <60fps @60hz? That's properly weird, it looks dreadful for me - how personal perception changes things!

Presume nvcpl vsync is default?

36 minutes ago, edmuss said:

So looking 3-9 out of the cockpit and it's not a slideshow with <60fps @60hz? That's properly weird, it looks dreadful for me - how personal perception changes things!

Presume nvcpl vsync is default?

At 60 it's perfectly smooth, at 55 it's OK, at 50 it's noticable but not uncomfortable at 90 also fine, and 79 it's horrible... In the majority of flying  I do I find that I'm easily able to maintain 60, with 1% lows of 58 and.1% lows of 55... Which is mostly taxiing.

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

At 60 it's perfectly smooth, at 55 it's OK, at 50 it's noticable but not uncomfortable at 90 also fine, and 79 it's horrible... In the majority of flying  I do I find that I'm easily able to maintain 60, with 1% lows of 58 and.1% lows of 55... Which is mostly taxiing.

Ok. Wow. I just went to 60hz and did some test flights. Sooo smooth! I will admit the flickering will take some getting used to but turning on the Light Sunglasses help.

Thanks @speed-of-heat!

I'm trying to enable ReBar. Are these the correct settings? Are there any other settings I need to change?

image.png

Edited by Tusk.V
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

Ok. Wow. I just went to 60hz and did some test flights. Sooo smooth! I will admit the flickering will take some getting used to but turning on the Light Sunglasses help.

Thanks @speed-of-heat!

I'm trying to enable ReBar. Are these the correct settings? Are there any other settings I need to change?

Try this guide 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

50 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

Thanks @speed-of-heat!

Welcome to above refresh rate VR, this is what it's meant to be like, reprojection is horrific once you've flown above refresh rate!

I haven't been going on about 60Hz for ages for my health you know 😄

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, edmuss said:
Welcome to above refresh rate VR, this is what it's meant to be like, reprojection is horrific once you've flown above refresh rate!
I haven't been going on about 60Hz for ages for my health you know

Are there any other things that can help with flickering besides sunglasses? I’m already noticing it less and less.

On another note, I actually become GPU bound rather than CPU bound, like when flying low over Vegas. I thought that was a little strange.

image.png

Edited by Tusk.V

GPU bound is what you want really, tune your settings to keep it around 13-14ms or better (75-70ish fps, that should give you a nice buffer before you hit the 16.6ms refresh rate and then it will get less smooth.
You may find that in a couple of days you simply can't see the flicker unless you switch back and forth from 90 to 60, tweaking the other post processing options in openxr toolkit may give some more flicker relief.

6 hours ago, Tusk.V said:

Got it, thanks! Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No worries we are all here to help eachother. Don't forget to check if rebar is still active after every Nvidia driver update.

• Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

9 hours ago, Ready said:

No worries we are all here to help eachother. Don't forget to check if rebar is still active after every Nvidia driver update.

Will do. Can you tell a difference with MSAA on versus off?

18 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

Will do. Can you tell a difference with MSAA on versus off?

I see the biggest difference in FPS.

Stupid me used to have MSAA x4 and tried to keep it there, which was okay when I was using reprojection.

I categorize MSAA as non-essential eye-candy and in my quest to get the best visual performance without reprojection I have MSAA disabled. To be honest I can tell when it is disabled, but mainly by looking outside at vertical and horizontal lines while at the ground and when I see cities in the distance, where I see shimmers. Inside the cockpit on the instrument panel I don't see much of a difference.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 minute ago, Ready said:

I see the biggest difference in FPS.

Stupid me used to have MSAA x4 and tried to keep it there, which was okay when I was using reprojection.

I categorize MSAA as non-essential eye-candy and in my quest to get the best visual performance without reprojection I have MSAA disabled. To be honest I can tell when it is disabled, but mainly by looking outside at vertical and horizontal lines while at the ground and when I see cities in the distance, where I see shimmers. Inside the cockpit on the instrument panel I don't see much of a difference.

I'll just keep mine at 2x for now. Switching to 60hz is an absolute game changer for me. Yes, the flicker is there but every time I play, it's becoming less and less noticeable. No longer am I dealing with artifacts of reprojection or blurriness of 90hz. I don't understand why the G2 doesn't have 72hz. This would be a good balance. 

I'm still bouncing back and forth between Ultra and Standard clouds. I'm at Ultra right now but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The same with water. I'm at high now but might switch.

Thanks again for creating this thread! It's helped a lot. I didn't have ReBar enabled or hyperthreading turned off until I read through this.

Couple of 60hz tips you already got sunglasses, but, the other is treat it like your first time, lots of small steps no big long sessions...

The second is while you are aclimitising do not go in to 90... I put back my own progress a couple of times by doing that... Now I can go between 60-90 with merely  an hour or so of noticing...

I have msaa on and clouds at Ultra... One thing at a time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glide said:
Have you tried enabling MR in the OpenXR Toolkit.  I have mine locked to 30fps, and it's very solid. 

Yeah. That’s what I have been using. The artifacts don’t bother me too bad but I’d rather deal with the flicker than the artifacts. We can’t have it all!

Edited by Tusk.V
  • Like 2