6 minutes ago, Tusk.V said:

I would stay locked at 45

These are very smooth for my 3080Ti locked at 30.  I'm also setting OpenXR to 135% with OpenXR Toolkit NIS scaling at 75%.  Not even sure if that last part works, but it's smooth for me.

Screen_230124_083018.jpg

Edited by Glide

3 hours ago, Glide said:

These are very smooth for my 3080Ti locked at 30.  I'm also setting OpenXR to 135% with OpenXR Toolkit NIS scaling at 75%.  Not even sure if that last part works, but it's smooth for me.

Screen_230124_083018.jpg

Wow, those are some high settings. Everything turned on! What are your frametimes?

• Like 1

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

1 hour ago, Tusk.V said:

Wow, those are some high settings. Everything turned on! What are your frametimes?

I'll have to check, whatever 30fps shows up as.  I used GPU-Z to get my GPU Load as close to 100% as possible without going over.  Motion Reprojection and Vsync cut that load way down, allowing much higher graphic settings.  I don't know why I don't see MR artifacts.  Perhaps it's the OpenXR 135% setting.

Locking the reprojection to 30Hz means that you have up to around 28ms GPU frametime to play with but suffer the artifacts and blurring. Short of view distance, 4x MSAA and the SSxx options I run the same and get 10-15ms which keeps me fairly comfortably above 60Hz.

Regarding switching 60 to 90, I can do either instantly but then I've been using WMR at 60Hz for a couple of years now.

32 minutes ago, Glide said:

I don't know why I don't see MR artifacts.  Perhaps it's the OpenXR 135% setting.

It's largely situational as to whether you see them, helo rotors and prop disks can be bad. If you're in a static airframe and high up you'll likely see less artifacting.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

You could unlock the reprojection and it should stick to 45fps with theoretically less artifacts. We're going off topic here though 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Just ran a quick test and I am considering lowering my custom render scale for a while to 80% without upscaling and see if I can get used to this. Instruments are still fine, sharp and readable. Of course this gives me a lower resolution, but also gives me about 10FPS extra and 90FPS in many places without reprojection. I think I prefer flying with a lower resolution over trying to get used to the 60Hz (which I tried a couple of times and quickly failed). Anybody else tried this?

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

12 hours ago, Ready said:

Anybody else tried this?

No but I don't have your horsepower with my 4080.  One thing I tried is flying with 120hz HMD refresh rate with reprojection on.  I find that running 60 FPS on reprojection creates far less ghosting than 45 FPS when HMD's at 90hz  or 37 FPS when my HMD's at 72hz.  Granted that the Pimax is a different beast.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:58 PM, Ready said:

Just ran a quick test and I am considering lowering my custom render scale for a while to 80% without upscaling

So, I did some more testing with OpenXR Toolkit and Custom Render Scales in OpenXR. 

With everything set to 100% AND MR locked at 30fps in OXRTK, I get 30ms GPU frame times.

With OpenXR set to 135% and OXRTK set to 75%, i get GPU frame times around 17ms.  BTW, the simple way to achieve the same result is to just leave OpenXR at 100% and set OXRTK to 135%.  It will have DCS render at 100% and scale up to 135% in the G2 headset.

With OpenXR set to 100% and OXRTK set to 75%, I am getting 20ms frame times (with today's update.)

So, OXRTK scaling is very efficient, and it seems to make MR more efficient.

EDIT: more tests

I tried OpenXR 140/OXRTK 70, but this added a lot of jiggles in the cockpit.

I tried OpenXR 110/OXRTK 90.  This gave me the lower app GPU times, plus very little jiggle. 

The app GPU line in the OXRTK FPS counter is very much like the GPU Load sensor in GPU-Z.  You want to keep it below 33ms with MR locked at 30fps.  It seems adding even just a little of OXRTK scaling gives a huge benefit.

DCS World_20230125_123022_NIS_110_20_R.png

Edited by Glide

The oxrtk resolution overrides all other resolutions, they're not cumulative so you're running 75% resolution which would be about 2700 I would guess. Running 105% resolution with 75% NIS upscaling is my current setup which results in 10-15ms frametimes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edmuss said:

The oxrtk resolution overrides all other resolutions, they're not cumulative so you're running 75% resolution which would be about 2700 I would guess. Running 105% resolution with 75% NIS upscaling is my current setup which results in 10-15ms frametimes.

That's the ticket for me now.  Crank up the eye candy and the AA and AF.  Use OpenXR Toolkit Motion Reprojection locked at 30.  Adjust the OpenXR and OpenXRTK scaling factors to keep the app GPU frame times below 33ms.  I just ran my favourite PG map dogfight (at oxr 105, oxrtk 90), and the app GPU frame times never went above 30ms.  That means I never went below 30fps the entire session.  Jump into your favourite multiplayer server and do the same adjustment.

BTW, if you want to see Motion Reprojection in action, just turn on the OpenXR Toolkit FPS counter and pan your head side to side.  With MR OFF, you will see double vision in the FPS counter.  With MR ON, the letters will be perfectly readable all the time.

Edited by Glide

Just did the OB-update and got presented with the OpenXR-Toolkit configuration menu. Just read that ED now includes OpenXR natively, without any notification or instruction beforehand.

Read about other users being heavily impacted because of this and having to switch off reprojection in order to be able to use DCS again. Luckily I already have reprojection off. 

Did a quick test and I seem to have no noticeable impact while running the track file. 

I do however see an impact on my server, but not sure if this is related. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

No change here on my end however I run Steam VR rather than Open XR for my Aero.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, Ready said:

Just did the OB-update and got presented with the OpenXR-Toolkit configuration menu. Just read that ED now includes OpenXR natively, without any notification or instruction beforehand.

Read about other users being heavily impacted because of this and having to switch off reprojection in order to be able to use DCS again. Luckily I already have reprojection off. 

Did a quick test and I seem to have no noticeable impact while running the track file. 

I do however see an impact on my server, but not sure if this is related. 

image.jpeg

Video you can see micro stutter - OpenXR Motion Reprojection is game changer - with my 3090 i was getting 70-90 fps and smooth flow image... Most you see whn you move head or low flight over building

21 minutes ago, lvnona69 said:

Video you can see micro stutter - OpenXR Motion Reprojection is game changer - with my 3090 i was getting 70-90 fps and smooth flow image... Most you see whn you move head or low flight over building

I came from a 3080 and always had reprojection on. I try not to use it anymore to get more clarity, especially when using kneeboards.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Am 24.1.2023 um 00:12 schrieb Tusk.V:

Ok. Wow. I just went to 60hz and did some test flights. Sooo smooth! I will admit the flickering will take some getting used to but turning on the Light Sunglasses help.

Thanks @speed-of-heat!

I'm trying to enable ReBar. Are these the correct settings? Are there any other settings I need to change?

image.png

rebar on created massive stuttering on my end. might be cpu overheating though. I disabled rebar, hyperthreading and intel adaptive boost technology in bios (MSI Z590) and it has been smooth since then.

MEG Infinite X 11th; MSI Coreliquid K240 V2; 1000W PSU; MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC 24GB GDDR6X

Just tried a run to our MP target range and unfortunately can't get my visuals stable without motion reprojection, even when lowering rendering resolution to 80% and turning off all anti-aliasing. So I am back on the MR juice. Have to accept all the artifacting and wobbles, which is horrible but still way better than all the stutters and shimmers that I get otherwise.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Motion Reprojection -> OBS Stutter 

Reprojection was giving me stable views, but was causing a very bad stutter in my OBS recordings, so I turned MR OFF again. Somehow hardware encoder and reprojection are fighting for CPU resources, even though I am not getting any encoder lag reported inside OBS.

Custom Render Resolution 50%

In order to crank up the FPS and get the frametimes as low as possible I turned the custom render scale all the way down to 50%. which is the visual limit I can stand. Instrument texts inside the cockpit get a bit blurry, but still readable and my performance is much improved. I know this is a very low render resolution, but I have not seen CPU bound messages yet. Hoping the DCS CPU usage improvements will become available soon..

Discord memory clock impact

I came across this posting regarding Discord impacting performance. I made the adjustment in Nvidia Profile Inspector. Not sure if it was effecting my setup and did not test before/after. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

5 minutes ago, Ready said:

Somehow hardware encoder and reprojection are fighting for CPU resources, even though I am not getting any encoder lag reported inside OBS.

Reprojection is handled by the video encoder, I think this is why nvidia is generally faster than amd because of the stronger performance of NVENC.  I would guess that there is some interaction between the two that is not sharing resources nicely?

10 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Reprojection is handled by the video encoder, I think this is why nvidia is generally faster than amd because of the stronger performance of NVENC.  I would guess that there is some interaction between the two that is not sharing resources nicely?

Yes @mbucchia responded on the discord that he was also thinking along those lines and not sure if anything can be done. I have no idea how to further troubleshoot this. All I can do is run some tests with various configurations and visually see what happens to the recording. To me the difference between MR on/off in OBS is clear as night and day. I do see the stutters also appear in the OBS mirror on the desktop while not yet recording.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

I'm not sure which headset you have, but with MR off that micro-stutter is caused by the gap between the lenses.  This is why when you look ahead you don't see it, but as soon as objects are travelling across the lenses there can be a lag which is perceived as a stutter.  Your brain just blurs things that do this across your eyesight.  With MR on you get the wobbling affect which is a little less noticeable when you set OXR to 75%ish, but none of what I call the "90 degree" lag.  Personally, I find it easier to get used to the lag now that I understand it.  I've turned down the game settings just a tad, set OXR to 75%, and set the world scale and field of view correctly in OXRTK.  On my 3080, this is a solid frame rate above 30 if not higher.  No, scaling, sharpening, or anything else required for me.  I find less is more in VR.