JASDF F-4/RF-4 Phantoms

mytai01

The original F-4EJ is based on an early block F-4E pre-Slats and pre-Everything else that made the F-4E good, equipped with the MIDAS-4 Gun fume extractor, not the original RF-4C camera port that caused fume extraction issues on the original F-4E.

The EJ Kais are mostly electronics retrofits of the earlier phantoms. They overall are heavier and have worse flight performance than the F-4Es used by the USAF and other nations, as all other nations at that point had slatted "soft" wing Phantoms as opposed to the "hard wing" EJs. The upgrade also adds back a lot of ground attack upgrades that were missing from the F-4EJ on initial production, as the aircraft was not equipped with the bombing computer that the F-4E had. It also includes the AN/APG-66J Radar, a Japanese license-production knockoff of the AN/APG-66(V)1 that equipped early F-16s.

Edited by Aussie_Mantis

22 minutes ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

The original F-4EJ is based on an early block F-4E pre-Slats and pre-Everything else that made the F-4E good, equipped with the MIDAS-4 Gun fume extractor, not the original RF-4C camera port that caused fume extraction issues on the original F-4E.

Can you please give a source of these info? I never found an information about F-4E (and especially EJ) sold without slats. No such info in Bill Gunston or other publications. It's especially strange if we remember when, how and where were EJ produced...

Edited by 303_Kermit

11 minutes ago, 303_Kermit said:

Can you please give a source of these info? I never found an information about F-4E (and especially EJ) sold without slats. No such info in Bill Gunston or other publications. It's especially strange if we remember when, how and where were EJ produced...

I think he means no Agile Eagle slats. EJs do, of course, have leading edge flaps.

Spoiler

F-4EJ_kai_(437)_of_302_Sqn_landing_at_Hy

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 1/30/2023 at 6:36 PM, 303_Kermit said:

I mean the agile eagle slats. the EJs did not recieve them as they are based on early F-4Es with MIDAS-4, no CCIP/CCRP (stripped out because treaty) and no Agile Eagle slats (they hadn't been invented yet)

1 hour ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

I mean the agile eagle slats. the EJs did not recieve them as they are based on early F-4Es with MIDAS-4, no CCIP/CCRP (stripped out because treaty) and no Agile Eagle slats (they hadn't been invented yet)

Well at least at the beginning the EJs didn't have CCIP/CCRP due to the Exclusively Defense-Oriented Policy. But before the EJ Kai upgrade program began, EJs were capable of carrying bombs and rockets. There was a big WT forum post regarding it with a wealth of info.

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

4 hours ago, Aussie_Mantis said:

The leading edge slats were included on new build USAF F-4Es by 1972. The final new build Mitsubishi F-4EJ (and the final Phantom II built) was delivered in 1981. The feature was certainly available during the JASDF’s tenure. 

3 hours ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Scrapped outright, with some put on display in museums or outdoor pedestals.

Too bad! 😭

It's a pity that some of those birds don't end up on the civilian market, as it happened with WWII ones. I guess the costs would be too high for anyone but the richest persons.

Edited by Gianky

1 hour ago, Gianky said:

Too bad! 😭

It's a pity that some of those birds don't end up on the civilian market, as it happened with WWII ones. I guess the costs would be too high for anyone but the richest persons.

Even wealthy people would find it a tall order operating F-4E . In the following interview a former Phantom pilot who became an entrepreneur was asked if he’d ever fly a privately owned F-4E when say, Turkey or Greece retired theirs . His response?

Basically LoL. The F-4E’s cost per hour in fuel is stupid expensive -and this dude literally owns an airport gas station. If an F-4 Phan like him’s done the math and scuttled the idea, safe to say it’s not workable for most folks . He quoted 3,000 gallons an hour for an F-4 vs 500 gallons an hour for an F-5. At $6-$8 USD a gallon it’s not cheap.  

Put another way, at modern prices the following 3 odd minute Collings Foundation demo clip cost $1,533 in fuel! 

Yeah, I get it; I haven't seen episode 155 yet (I'm still at 151), but I imagined that it was extremely expensive.

On the other hand, that paints a bleak future for the warbirds community: while we grew up in an era where it was (and is) still possible to manage to keep old fighters flying (meaning, for us, WW2/Korea/Vietnam prop planes), in the future we (or our sons) won't be able to enjoy seeing the then old 3rd/4th generation fighters in flight, barring rare occasions in which wealthy organizations will be put them in the air.

4 hours ago, Gianky said:

Yeah, I get it; I haven't seen episode 155 yet (I'm still at 151), but I imagined that it was extremely expensive.

On the other hand, that paints a bleak future for the warbirds community: while we grew up in an era where it was (and is) still possible to manage to keep old fighters flying (meaning, for us, WW2/Korea/Vietnam prop planes), in the future we (or our sons) won't be able to enjoy seeing the then old 3rd/4th generation fighters in flight, barring rare occasions in which wealthy organizations will be put them in the air.

Pretty much. Cold War era aircraft are simply frightfully expensive to operate. I’m sure one or two monied folks like Jared Issacman will have a 4th Gen warbird in their hangars, but we aren’t going to see groups of warbird enthusiasts meeting at fly ins with surplus F-16s and F-15s. Not when an “affordable” F-16 costs  $8000 an hour. Even if it were legal to own a private F-14, Tom Cruise would gag at the $25k per hour charge. 

Would that be for a what if scenario where the Japanese added the AE slats? 

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

2 hours ago, Slick_441 said:

No flying, but a nice close up tour including the cockpits. Interior looks so clean!

Damn pretty hard to find good imagery of the cockpits of the EJ/EJ Kais. Btw anyone know what that display to the top right was for in the WSOpit of the EJ?

On 2/4/2023 at 1:59 AM, Gianky said:

It's a pity that some of those birds don't end up on the civilian market

Ignoring Japan's overprotection/overraction to "sensitive" military information, even if the MoD allowed it there wouldn't be any customers. In addition to what was mentioned in the FPP with Bones, general aviation in Japan is honestly pitiful. Outrageously expensive, very few GA airports, and a licensing/aeromedical system that's stuck in the 1920s while simultaneously being stricter than an FAA First-Class medical, just for a private pilot license.

9 hours ago, Nealius said:

..., general aviation in Japan is honestly pitiful. Outrageously expensive, very few GA airports, and a licensing/aeromedical system that's stuck in the 1920s while simultaneously being stricter than an FAA First-Class medical, just for a private pilot license.

Are you sure you're not talking about Italy? 😄

(Just to be clear: I'm Italian and the state of GA in here is very similar to what you're describing... ultralights are the only thing saving us flight enthusiast)