Hey, why no love?

DustyFox

Well, many people love other modules, in many cases the fighter of choice for their air force (F16, F18, Su27....).

Having said that I usually see many jf17 online in the servers I play, mainly blueflag and Ddcs. It's a great plane with lot of nasty weapons to do harm.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Well, many people love other modules, in many cases the fighter of choice for their air force (F16, F18, Su27....).

Having said that I usually see many jf17 online in the servers I play, mainly blueflag and Ddcs. It's a great plane with lot of nasty weapons to do harm.

I own all of the modules you mentioned (even above) and can definitely say that JF is underestimated. The only reason I can imagine is that people is biased to "third world" things. Which is more like harassing...

Edited by DustyFox
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, DustyFox said:

The only reason I can imagine is that people is biased to "third world" things

If you have already the answer made up on your mind .. why bother to ask on the Forum? 🙄

My opinion, in case you want it, is that the JF-17 on DCS has been sold in much lower quantities than the F-18, F-16 and Su-27; and so the numbers you see on servers are representative of that fact.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, DustyFox said:

I own all of the modules you mentioned (even above) and can definitely say that JF is underestimated. The only reason I can imagine is that people is biased to "third world" things. Which is more like harassing...

I'd say it's a mix of factors. It's a relatively rare and unknown aircraft, it's not red or blue so people are weird about it and yes some are biased against red.

Edited by FlankerFan35

I'll say also that on a lot of servers, they won't have it available, or if they do it's severely crippled by the lack of a Fox-1 or not allowing you to take LD-10. The gun for 'air to ground' is puny 23mm and only has 180 bullets anyway, so on those servers, you don't have a lot of options to have a good experience. 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, DustyFox said:

Why people don't fly JF17 much? Just bought the module and love it. Don't see many JF's online...  why? Did I miss something?

Relative unkown aircraft and so there is no much interest into it. Many F-16 pilots dont want to get a (cheap & inferior) copy of the same aircraft for 80$

Edited by Mike_Romeo

My skins

Relative unkown aircraft and so there is no much interest into it. Many F-16 pilots dont want to get a (cheap & inferior) copy of the same aircraft for 80$
It's not inferior in capabilities, its just lighter, so less range and less payload.

• Like 2

I hear you. I really, really enjoy the Jeff and also wonder why more don’t give it a shot.

The goal for the real Jf-17 was for a much less expensive replacement to the F-16 that roughly mimic’s the Falcon’s performance and capabilities. They succeeded. Ultimately it’s less capable than a modern F-16, but keep in mind the Falcon has been steadily developed since the 1970’s. I think the capability/performance deficiencies compared to the Falcon are on the margins, particularly for our game. 

I ‘argue’ the Jeff is one of the most complete, polished fully released jet modules out there, if not the most complete. I have a lot of fun with it and find it’s quirks  part of its personality. It’s not for everyone, but I love it. 

Edited by Hobo 1-1
My spelling sucks
  • Like 4

There's just an inherent bias to US aircraft.

I love the Jeff for the cockpit. My young brain works well with the iPads and workflow. Everything just works. You push the party button with everything set up right, and it does it's job. its never going to do anything unexpected, for better or worse.

I'd expect that the flight sim community mostly grew up in an era with the f-14 and f-18 and so they have an attachment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Simple: it isn't American! Cue "Team America" theme...

JF-17 is a potent weapon in the right hands. It comes down to how skilled of a pilot you are. Some people gravitate to the F-16/F-18 because the aircraft makes up for their deficiencies as a pilot, but as some of the problems are being corrected in those modules, they require more skill to fight in.

As written above: do NOT under-estimate the Jeff as an offensive platform. I'm at home in either the Jeff or the F-16.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 2

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The JF-17 is a pretty good aircraft, a very complete module for a change. But the changing capabilities of the SD-10 and the LD-10 make it an unknown quantity sometimes. It also smokes too much and can be spotted more easily that an F-16 or F-18. They should adjust that! Overall a good aircraft but not as good capable as an F-16. If both are available on the red side, most choose to fly the Viper.

20 minutes ago, Blackhawk NC said:

can be spotted more easily that an F-16 or F-18. They should adjust that!

let's be clear here, the reason it can be spotted more easily is because of the smoke, which you can only see WVR anyway. RCS is 25% less than the F-16, so that shouldn't be a problem. I agree though that the smoke is too much, as we've seen in videos of Block 1 and 2 JF-17s flying, there is not as much smoke as in game.

• Like 1

But the changing capabilities of the SD-10 and the LD-10 make it an unknown quantity sometimes.

Perhaps the most annoying part of flying it. After every update, you need to question weapons effectiveness. That just shouldn't happen, and is all because of the controversy of the SD-10 vs. AIM-120 performance. Yes, SD-10 is THAT GOOD, but those who fly against it want to fly the F-16 and kill stuff 60 NM away every time (just as unrealistic).

There are tons of videos of the DCS F-16 being flown at 55000 ft. LOL!

IRL, SD-10 proved so capable, it became a SAM system with >90% PK.

Edited by Tiger-II

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

SA depends on the pilot to a large extent. Jeff with SPJ (combined with the rear-aspect MLWS) is a pretty potent package though.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, Hobo 1-1 said:

The goal for the real Jf-17 was for a much less expensive replacement to the F-16 that roughly mimic’s the Falcon’s performance and capabilities. They succeeded. Ultimately it’s less capable than a modern F-16, but keep in mind the Falcon has been steadily developed since the 1970’s. I think the capability/performance deficiencies compared to the Falcon are on the margins, particularly for our game. 

It's definitely not. Between an AESA radar and PL15's it's arguably more capable than the most modern F16's, and thats not considering Pakistan would not be getting Aim120D or the F16V at any time in the conceivable future.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:34 AM, DustyFox said:

Why people don't fly JF17 much? Just bought the module and love it. Don't see many JF's online...  why? Did I miss something?

It has limitations when compared to the Viper or the Hornet. But, I'd argue those limitations make it a very interesting aircraft to fly. It fills this wonderful space between F-5E size and payload and F-16 sophistication. So, I'm a fan. Especially in the realm of ground attack/COIN, the JF shines like a diamond. Take up those guided rockets and you can really provide stupidly effective CAS. I just treat them like the VIKHRs on the Black Shark, firing in pairs.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

9 minutes ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

Take up those guided rockets and you can really provide stupidly effective CAS. I

I used to do that, but having to select a target with the tpod before they fire is kinda limiting, easier and faster to take the MK5, or the UG ones and align the CCIP marker to the target.

21 hours ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

It has limitations when compared to the Viper or the Hornet. But, I'd argue those limitations make it a very interesting aircraft to fly. It fills this wonderful space between F-5E size and payload and F-16 sophistication. So, I'm a fan. Especially in the realm of ground attack/COIN, the JF shines like a diamond. Take up those guided rockets and you can really provide stupidly effective CAS. I just treat them like the VIKHRs on the Black Shark, firing in pairs.

I use them in single fire, a single 90mm rocket is enough to destroy most targets.