Crosswind - LSO-station

TimRobertsen

Up to 7 knots is acceptable (though of course they target as little as possible ideally)

Anything above 7 knots requires approval from the ship's CO.

• Like 3

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

In DCS there seems to be a sweet spot for that x-wind component in order to maintain a safe bank angle in the 180 turn. In my experience that seems to be 2~3kts starboard, though I need to review my missions to verify. I've tried adjusting natural wind angle to give 0 x-wind component and that totally FUBARs bank angle in the 90 due to the wind pushing you starboard of the ship's axis.

With the carrier moving forward, and thus starboard from the angled deck axis, there should always be a mild x-wind (or perceived x-wind) from the starboard, shouldn't there?

Edited by Nealius
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

In DCS there seems to be a sweet spot for that x-wind component in order to maintain a safe bank angle in the 180 turn. In my experience that seems to be 2~3kts starboard, though I need to review my missions to verify. I've tried adjusting natural wind angle to give 0 x-wind component and that totally FUBARs bank angle in the 90 due to the wind pushing you starboard of the ship's axis.

With the carrier moving forward, and thus starboard from the angled deck axis, there should always be a mild x-wind (or perceived x-wind) from the starboard, shouldn't there?

Yeah, I haven't found a "definitve" (personal) answer/preference to this.

With zero crosswind and high windspeed, the final turn can be a bit lopsided.

F.ex. this one: 30kts wind, zero crosswind. Constant bankangel throughout the turn (more or less). Most of the turn occurs just before entering the groove. Which can seem a bit unsettling during the turn, but it works out just fine, regardless.

(I don't really know where Im going with this😆, I just wanted to hear you folks' thoughts on the matter)

Some knots of starboard crosswind seems to be preferable.

Zero Xwind.jpg

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

22 hours ago, TimRobertsen said:

Yeah, I haven't found a "definitve" (personal) answer/preference to this.

With zero crosswind and high windspeed, the final turn can be a bit lopsided.

F.ex. this one: 30kts wind, zero crosswind. Constant bankangel throughout the turn (more or less). Most of the turn occurs just before entering the groove. Which can seem a bit unsettling during the turn, but it works out just fine, regardless.

(I don't really know where Im going with this😆, I just wanted to hear you folks' thoughts on the matter)

Some knots of starboard crosswind seems to be preferable.

Zero Xwind.jpg

Depends on what your parameters are, Gross Weight, Abeam Distance, AOB, Drag on wings, headwind, etc.

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Isn't there an AoB limit for the first 90 and second 90? I can't find definitive numbers, but any time my AoB is greater than 30 I get a _wings_ comment/grade from the LSO. I understand the first 90 to be an "instrument" turn, which I assume is no more than 30 AoB, but again I haven't found any mention of limits. Victory's long-lost CASE I paper for the Tomcat has calculations for different abeam distances, and the highest AoB he mentions is 27. 

Only two things I've found out are:

1. High AoB in the last 90 is quite uncomfortable, and makes glideslope management rough at the start of the groove due to the excess power in the turn

2. Supercarrier LSO doesn't like it. 

Edited by Nealius

No "limits" on angle of bank from the 180 to the start. For example, guys doing the SHB are much more than 30° of Bank because of the speeds that they're at. You just fly what needs to be flown in order to get a good start. I'm sure you know, but that consists of rolling into the groove at 3/4 of a mile, on speed, and wings mostly level.  Then once you're in the groove if you start getting funky with your wings, yeah, you're going to really upset Paddles.

3/4 NM is only for CASE III (or CASE II when you go straight in)

For CASE I you simply want a 15-18 second groove length.

• Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w