SPJ "nerfed" ? (or F-15 too OP ?)

xavierbenoit83

Hi !

I just try a fly on BF server, after a long pause with the JF-17, and I had a bad surprise : a F-15 was in front of me, his jammer was able too disrupt me, but mine not ! (I was hard locked)

I finally manage to lock something near 20Nm...

I remember flights where F-18 was not able to lock me over 26Nm with SPJ on (Type 2  forward), and it is pretty useless against a F-15 ? Is F-15 that good or did the SPJ been "adjust" ?

6 hours ago, Dr_Pavelheer said:

F15 got recently a significant buff to radar performance, perhaps to make it similar to radar in upcoming F15E, I would assume it also affected its burnthrough range

All the fc3 jets have the same radar. Did they all change? Could you link the log?

5 hours ago, Vashka said:

All the fc3 jets have the same radar. Did they all change?

No

5 hours ago, Vashka said:

Could you link the log?

It wasnt stated in any changelog. However, there are user graphs of the radar changes oejupna7grw91.png

Source:

Edited by Mike_Romeo
  • Thanks 1

My skins

Btw all DCS aircraft have the same burnthrough range no matter the radar. It all depends on what type of aircraft is jamming. Like a fighter has a burn through of around 23 nm but a strategic bomber has a burn through of like 14 or so iirc.

EDIT: FlyAndWire made a nice post about it that included data regarding burn through: 

Edited by DSplayer
  • Like 3

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

I feel your pain on this one. Seems as if some of updates for ECM are not well implemented and other things as well. I hope over time more improvements will come. Splash damage is a big one for me. I just think bombs should do more damage and AI ground units have the most accurate fire I have ever seen. Especially when you get to WWII units.

On 12/2/2022 at 6:54 PM, xavierbenoit83 said:

Hi !

I just try a fly on BF server, after a long pause with the JF-17, and I had a bad surprise : a F-15 was in front of me, his jammer was able too disrupt me, but mine not ! (I was hard locked)

I finally manage to lock something near 20Nm...

I remember flights where F-18 was not able to lock me over 26Nm with SPJ on (Type 2  forward), and it is pretty useless against a F-15 ? Is F-15 that good or did the SPJ been "adjust" ?

Same with F-16 yesterday... I couldn't see him while I was not jamming, but couldn't see him because of his jamming. Regardless of that, he was able to lock me up and shoot at me. So I wasn't able to burn through his jamming, but he was able to shoot at me while jamming at the same time, and not via STT. And the guy was clearly exploiting that all night.

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

It doesn't have to be that basic, though. On the cockpit side, a surprising amount of it can be simulated. Classified stuff would be mostly interesting to people sitting in an AWACS or doing SIGINT on the ground. Rough estimates of radar and jammer power, atmospheric effects on EM waves, and basic jamming techniques that the aircraft employ, that's all available. We don't need to know that if the jammer detects a waveform X, then it sends out a signal Y with delay Z. What we need is that from beyond a certain range, you can't get azimuth on a fighter with jammer on in azimuth denial mode, and a Growler will make half your radar screen go black (that's how the effect had been described by a person who's actually been on receiving end of that on occasion).

On 12/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, Coxy_99 said:

You can still fire home on jam, I wish people in the community would stop using words like nurf and exploit, ECM is a clear tactic of defending a missile or denying enemy info. ECM will always be basic, ED will never get real info on it ever.

1) exploit: "make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource)."  What is the problem with that word?

2) In the F-16 you can't home on jam, and I believe you also can't on the JF, but I may be wrong on the latter. Maybe with a maddog missile, but good luck doing that at 30nm and dithout altitude information... so no, you can't.

Interl i7 6700k - 32Gb RAM DDR4 - RX 590 8GB - Sentey 32"2560x1440 - Saitek X-55 - TrackIr 3

23 minutes ago, Coxy_99 said:

Any pilot will use anyway of exploiting a fight so regardless your point one is invalid. Point two F-16 and JF17 you can home on jam pretty effective actually so yes you can, To the OP actually the F-15C radar had its range extended as intended.

Cat Party GIF

1) Point one can't invalid, because is not a statement.. so no logic there. But the new statement you make is also invalid, because if I use the word with your criteria, a player that is not aware that on curtain conditions he may have certain advantage, he may not be "exploiting" that advantage. So therefore, some pilots may be exploiting some feature, some may be exploiting other, some may be exploiting all and some none. So if I want to refer to what advantage so-and-so is using or not using, this word, as part of the English vocabulary, fits.

2) And then, can you be a little more specific?. Since "you can home on jam pretty effective" is a rather ambiguous argument to put the kitten. I mean, you missed the argumentative part. I may be perfectly wrong, but prove it with an argument. Again, you mean with a mad dog missile?, or you can do some sort of jamming track with the F-16 or JF-17 radar to at least give azimuth and elevation to the missile?? 

2 hours ago, RPY Variable said:

1) exploit: "make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource)."  What is the problem with that word?

2) In the F-16 you can't home on jam, and I believe you also can't on the JF, but I may be wrong on the latter. Maybe with a maddog missile, but good luck doing that at 30nm and dithout altitude information... so no, you can't.

You can HOJ in both the F-16 and JF-17, unless im misunderstanding your point. Both ariframes are able to track a jam strobe at further ranges AFAIK then they would a normal target, they only get range at  25nm(could be off but its close to this?), while you do not get range and such (all jammers in DCS are noise jammers, though thats not realistic, its how it is, so think of it like someone shining a big torch at you, you don't know how far away they are, but you know the azimuth ) you are still able to launch on it. It will have severely reduced pK  due to a lack of range therefore no loft or proper leadbut will still be able to hit, (without a launch warning btw). HOJ is missile dependent not airframe dependent.

EDITED 

As for the comments made on Exploits, Coxy is merely pointing out a running joke/issue about how some players will claim something is an exploit due to a lack of knowledge on a subject.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:19 AM, RPY Variable said:

Same with F-16 yesterday... I couldn't see him while I was not jamming, but couldn't see him because of his jamming. Regardless of that, he was able to lock me up and shoot at me. So I wasn't able to burn through his jamming, but he was able to shoot at me while jamming at the same time, and not via STT. And the guy was clearly exploiting that all night.

To Break this down into two points, by couldn't see him I'm assuming all you saw was a jam strobe which as mentioned is lockable and shootable. So in your case he may have shot HOJ. Also unlike the F-16 the JF-17s jammer is capable of operating simultaneously to the radar, this is realistic and similar to the jamming pods on the SU-27/33.

If my points don't make sense or I misunderstood you , just ask.

Edited by Morri

• 3 weeks later...

The F-15 & Su-27 in the game used to have the same radar written in lua configurations, but the F-15 got a significant buff on its radar so it literally has the second best Radar in game (just behind the F-14 I believe?)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM, GTX1050Ti, 1TB HDD 5400RPM

PC: R5 5600X, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 512GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD, 4TB HDD, Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti

56 minutes ago, MysticEric said:

The F-15 & Su-27 in the game used to have the same radar written in lua configurations, but the F-15 got a significant buff on its radar so it literally has the second best Radar in game (just behind the F-14 I believe?)

Yes but thats only radar range. Overall I think it is the best radar now

oejupna7grw91.png

My skins