Is there a clever/sneaky way to test MP using only one PC and one ED account?

Elphaba

I need to do more work testing / scripting for MP on a dedicated DCS Server, however I only have one DCS account.

Is there a sneaky/clever way around this so I can have two (or more) MP aircraft running from my single PC? 

I'd thought about VM ware, but then I'd have to buy another copy of windows etc... and I can't afford to buy two copies of the modules etc.. 

Anyone come up with a clever way to test for this stuff when developing scripts / missions?

You can host a dedicated server from your full game install via launch commands. You are allowed to login twice on the same PC. Not that it matters since you can make a user account for free specifically for hosting dedicated servers anyway. I have a batch file in my install folder:

bin\DCS.exe --server --norender -w DCS.DS_openbeta

--server and --norender force it to run as a server. 

-w DCS.DS_openbeta defines the folder used in saved games. Its best to have this so it isn't trying to use the same folder twice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

1 hour ago, Grimes said:

You can host a dedicated server from your full game install via launch commands. You are allowed to login twice on the same PC. Not that it matters since you can make a user account for free specifically for hosting dedicated servers anyway. I have a batch file in my install folder:

bin\DCS.exe --server --norender -w DCS.DS_openbeta

--server and --norender force it to run as a server. 

-w DCS.DS_openbeta defines the folder used in saved games. Its best to have this so it isn't trying to use the same folder twice. 

Hang on, I can log in twice? Does that mean I can have two dcs games running at the same time somehow, in order to test MP? I have a dedicated server on an Azure cloud computer… it’s two ‘games’ with two ‘clients’ both under my control that I need access to. I don’t have two pc’s - just the one. 

I think its more of a norender launch isn't treated the same as a rendered one. The game won't let you launch multiple instances that are rendered, but you can have 1 rendered + X non-rendered. Its actually a fairly common suggestion for heavy missions to host it on a norender server and then connect as a client because you are offloading a lot of the processing to another CPU thread. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum