multicore support

diveplane

+1. This should really help bring the needed horsepower to make DCS the full simulator it is meant to be. A little competition like the video I just watched on the Nor platform based on Unreal5 would help too. With the continued advancements in CPU/GPU designs, the future of the computer simulation space looks bright.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javipamp said:

At last!! A really important feature we have been waiting for years. Now we hope to have vulkan update too. We hoped to have it between 21-22.

Your optimism is a nice refreshment and not to rain on anyone's parade here, but for all we know, multicore support in DCS could still be a year away. And also, it's still very much a question how much we will actually notice it at all. We already received news a few months ago that initial internal tests looked promising, so I don't really see any actual new "news" tbh.

I'm normally a "glass half full" kinda person, but to avoid being disappointed, I'm not getting my hopes up too much and I'm certainly not expecting performance miracles.

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

And also, it's still very much a question how much we will actually notice it at all.

And even if they figured out a way to show it off, there'd still be people griping that it's not being worked on, and that what we're seeing is fake. So there's a long road ahead for ED...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirrah said:

Your optimism is a nice refreshment and not to rain on anyone's parade here, but for all we know, multicore support in DCS could still be a year away. And also, it's still very much a question how much we will actually notice it at all. We already received news a few months ago that initial internal tests looked promising, so I don't really see any actual new "news" tbh.

I'm normally a "glass half full" kinda person, but to avoid being disappointed, I'm not getting my hopes up too much and I'm certainly not expecting performance miracles.

And I don't think anyone here would blame you for not getting your hopes up. But if you consider the improvements in graphic performance with the new Nvidia GPU's alone, modernizing the DCS core should normally be a good thing.

For myself, I would like to see them finally finish their planned core updates to DCS so that they can get back to updating/adding other things. I don't know what we should/can expect in terms of an improvement with ED's own engine, but based on the continued gains seen with other similar platforms, there is no reason to believe we shouldn't see the same here. I take the recent YouTube videos showing off the Unreal5 engine in a flight SIM application as an example of where we are likely heading. 

Also a bit deflated by ED news.  As a VR user, I was hoping that all cores could be utilised, not just two.  Also, they mentioned twice that you may only notice during really large missions.  I understand that they have to work on modules to sell, in order to keep going financially.  But if they keep focusing on that, rather than fix what they have, how long before people start looking elsewhere?  An upgrade needs to be an upgrade, not one step forwards, and another back.  2.8 gave us nice clouds, but ruined the experience for VR.  This is not an upgrade.  If DCS was entirely free, then I couldn't complain.  I'd happily pay more than I do now, if they only released upgrades, instead of additions.  Still it's the best out there, and can't fault the fantastic work they have done on their models.  

• Like 3

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

1 hour ago, Gunslinger52 said:

Also a bit deflated by ED news.  As a VR user, I was hoping that all cores could be utilized, not just two.  Also, they mentioned twice that you may only notice during really large missions.  I understand that they have to work on modules to sell, in order to keep going financially.  But if they keep focusing on that, rather than fix what they have, how long before people start looking elsewhere?  An upgrade needs to be an upgrade, not one step forwards, and another back.  2.8 gave us nice clouds, but ruined the experience for VR.  This is not an upgrade.  If DCS was entirely free, then I couldn't complain.  I'd happily pay more than I do now, if they only released upgrades, instead of additions.  Still it's the best out there, and can't fault the fantastic work they have done on their models.  

I'm also deflated - but let's clarify a few things. The initial release will be dual core (or three including sound), but the plan is to expand from there. Effectively, they're going to separate graphical and logic threads, then multi-thread those individual threads. How long that takes, who knows and I'm not holding my breath, but I do hope that we get at least an appreciable performance hike - most especially in VR - with the upcoming release. But it may be a (long) while until DCS uses all cores. At least, that's how I interpret their post. We'll see though. 

• Like 1

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

After reading a lot of posts from people with various knowledge levels on this, I took away that initially the split will be in two, separating logic and graphical into separate threads. This will pave the way to implement Vulkan which will handle the graphical side in full , without relying on the cpu to send that info and have it all processing at the same time ( something to that effect). Also allowing graphics/ rendering to be scaled up greatly when Vulkan is handling it in full. This leaves more room for the cpu/ logic side off things to be branched out into more threads to better streamline its workings. I got the impression that the actual cpu core usage is a function of windows divvying up the load based on need/ workload. The engine will be allowed to use multiple cores but that will be determined by windows based on each persons system in particular and its needs for throughput… maybe I’m not quite 100% right on that, but thats what I gathered in a nutshell.

Either way, even though the first release may not be the full blown masterpiece of coding some were hoping for , to me it seems like a very big, very relevant step to achieving the final goal. If the initial split is what’s needed to let Vulkan come into play and it reduces some bottlenecks, then hopefully the logic side can/will be broken down into further threads, flight dynamics, unit movement, missle, bomb, bullet trajectory, radar logic, communications, weather etc. I’m no software engineer, so reading the technicals about it by those who do understand it on a coding level and its complexities, puts me in mind-blown mode. But from a casual dummies POV, it seems like it will be a very good step in the direction we are striving for.

SkateZilla made a great analogy about separating these is like adding another lane to a road, each with its own off-ramps. As vulkan is implemented, it will create multiple off-ramps on the graphical side, allowing traffic to flow better. Separating the logical side into further threads essentially adds more off-ramps to the lane of the highway, letting its traffic flow more smoothly to the cpu, in a more organized manner without getting backed up.

Maybe the initial split is what is really needed to bring the Dynamic Campaign to a useable level as well. They did say the most performance will be gained on larger missions.. a dynamic campaign is about as large and logic intensive as it gets right? One can only hope 😃

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

18 minutes ago, MadKreator said:

Maybe the initial split is what is really needed to bring the Dynamic Campaign to a useable level as well.

This!

I think it’s important to realize that multi-core and Vulkan aren’t being introduced so we can just have the same game with higher FPS. It’s so we can have a better game overall. Graphics as well as features. 
At the end of the day any game is going to demand the most from your hardware though and exploit what’s possible from it. When all is done I still expect a sim like this to crush your machine 😁

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, SharpeXB said:

This!

I think it’s important to realize that multi-core and Vulkan aren’t being introduced so we can just have the same game with higher FPS. It’s so we can have a better game overall. Graphics as well as features. 
At the end of the day any game is going to demand the most from your hardware though and exploit what’s possible from it. When all is done I still expect a sim like this to crush your machine 😁

I wholeheartedly agree! Any major overhauls to graphics and AI at this stage would probably bring the game to a screeching halt on most systems. As the logic and graphic systems get streamlined and refined, then will be the time to implement more demanding Ai, physics, graphics. More and more pc power will always be needed on the high end. Hopefully in the future todays high settings in dcs will be tomorrows lows, but with much better performance for the diverse range of pc’s around. 

Btw @SharpeXB you’re pc specs have me a little envious. You’re basically forcing my hand to upgrade at this point. My wife will understand 😂😂😂

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

1 hour ago, MadKreator said:

Btw @SharpeXB you’re pc specs have me a little envious. You’re basically forcing my hand to upgrade at this point. My wife will understand 😂😂😂

Hey I was doing pretty well on a 10 year old machine until last weekend. 😆

I just have a deal with my wife where I won’t tell her what she can spend on clothes either 😉

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Hey I was doing pretty well on a 10 year old machine until last weekend. 😆

I just have a deal with my wife where I won’t tell her what she can spend on clothes either 😉

LOL Same here…she doesn’t question, I don’t question. Then again this is the cheaper of my hobbies 🤪

Edited by MadKreator