ASPJ: REC vs XMIT

Yuriks
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

There may be a difference between REC and having the system off or in standby. But xmit means it will activate when something is locking you. That's what you want if you're trying to use the hornet ECM at all.

Receive may be useful in real life if it saves a record of what's being detected, but I think your experience is the same for all of the other switch positions.

• Like 1

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

• Solution
46 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Transmit turns off the radar...

This is no longer the case. The jammer operates in radar priority mode.

• Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

18 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

This is no longer the case. The jammer operates in radar priority mode.

Apologies... It screws up your radar...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yep, priority seems reversed. Currently, it will XMIT and therefore turn off the radar, even if you have a contact designated L&S, or even more frustratingly, a missile in the air.

I thought radar priority was designed to prevent this from happening. Seems we have jammer priority implemented instead. 

• Like 1

Currently in DCS when the jammer is transmitting it degrades your radar performance, so a 48nm detection range goes to something like 28nm-ish (big "ish", I seldom use the jammer since its implementation is incorrect and ineffective, so I don't recall exactly the range, I tested it only a couple times when they changed it)

Luckily we can avoid this part of the game by just not using it and/or not supplying/allowing the AI with jammers - real world you'd also have AIC able to help you with e.g. strobes and music calls for jamming contacts which the DCS AI controller is not capable of doing (and we won't always have human control)

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

39 minutes ago, Foka said:

And adding to radar problems, enemy can fire in lock-on-jam mode, so you want to have control when to XMIT.

That really shouldn't be a factor, as even in XMIT, the jammer should follow the logic of the track-breaking DECM system that it is. I.e it should only actually transmit when a radar in a track/fire-control mode is detected or when the active seeker of an ARH missile is detected. If those conditions aren't met, then the jammer stops transmitting/doesn't transmit even with the switch left in XMIT.

Angle-only tracking more applies to noise jamming (an OECM technique), where the effect is range denial, in the DCS Hornet the AN/ALQ-165 (which should actually be a -162B for USN aircraft AFAIK) doesn't have that mode available to player aircraft (different story for the AI though).

And if you're referring to HOJ, well the same story applies - the jammer only transmits when a radar is probably able to guide a weapon anyway, once that's no longer the case there jammer stops transmitting and there's nothing for HOJ missiles to home-in on.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

15 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

That really shouldn't be a factor, as even in XMIT, the jammer should follow the logic of the track-breaking DECM system that it is. I.e it should only actually transmit when a radar in a track/fire-control mode is detected or when the active seeker of an ARH missile is detected. If those conditions aren't met, then the jammer stops transmitting/doesn't transmit even with the switch left in XMIT.

Angle-only tracking more applies to noise jamming (an OECM technique), where the effect is range denial, in the DCS Hornet the AN/ALQ-165 (which should actually be a -162B for USN aircraft AFAIK) doesn't have that mode available to player aircraft (different story for the AI though).

And if you're referring to HOJ, well the same story applies - the jammer only transmits when a radar is probably able to guide a weapon anyway, once that's no longer the case there jammer stops transmitting and there's nothing for HOJ missiles to home-in on.

Later models of the Hornet have the ALQ-165

23 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

All that is true, but... it depends. If you fly into SAMs range you can be tracked for a long time with Jammer active.