Laser latch on or off

AJH63
Go to solution Solved by ASAP,

• Solution

I always use latch on and never use the auto laser function. I want direct control over when it turns on and off but I don’t want to hold the button down forever if I’m lasing something from high altitude or if I’m moving the jet. 

downside is DCS has a silly notion that the laser burns itself out and becomes inoperative after even a short time of continuous lasing and so you have to be disciplined about turning your laser off. 

Edited by ASAP

11 hours ago, AJH63 said:

What are the pros and cons of having the latch on or off?

There is (or at least there was, until recently) a problem with the AGM-65L Laser Maverick: ED implemented an Auto-Lase-Off feature that will stop lasing at the calculated time of impact. However, this time is too short and it often happens that the laser will be turned off just before impact and the missile will then miss its target. The workaround is to set Latch to OFF and lase manually by keeping the pinky depressed.

And like ASAP already said, with Latch set to ON, it's possible to accidentally lase all the time and burn out the laser. Using some kind of procedure will help pilots defend against that, so make it a habit to always switch the laser off after its job is done. Also note that the laser will automatically switch off when it's masked, but will resume lasing as soon as it's unmasked again - checking the TGP or the HUD for a flashing "L" indication is no clear indication that the laser is actually off.

Other than these two caveats I definitely prefer Latch ON as it makes life a bit easier in stressful situations. 🙂

• Thanks 1