Random freezing since 2.8 in VR

seven10
Go to solution Solved by seven10,

I've been getting random freezes and black screens in the headset and DCS not even registering the crash. I've had to kill the program via Task Manager. Sometimes it never happens in a 2-4 hour session and other times I've had it freeze in less than an hour of flight. I'm not running any overclock on my CPU or ram and have tried turning off my GPU OC but had the same result.

dcs.log dcs.log.old

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Perhaps I've fixed this, most of the crashes were happening also post upgrading from 32GB of ram to 64GB. I saw in another post that perhaps I wouldn't need to manually set my page file amount, so I set it to be auto managed by Windows on all drives and I haven't had a crash since then.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro

On 12/12/2022 at 12:32 PM, Flappie said:

Great! Thanks for your feedback. 👍

No problem, however it doesn't seem like I've 100% solved it. I had a a couple more hard crashes over a few hours of flying so I'm trying to investigate further. Changing the page file settings definitely made things more stable, but not completely and I'm somewhat at a loss of where to look now. The only thing I've noticed is during these hangs my VRAM is almost maxed with DCS using around 15 out of 16GB on Persian Gulf or Syria. Any advice on what I should check would be appreciated.

dcs.log dcs.log.old

Was that a crash with a proper crash message, or a freeze? I'm asking because I see Tomcats in your mission. There's an ongoing bug with AI Tomcat that freezes DCS.

Fortunately, a fix will be in the next OB update.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

A freeze, I never got the DCS pop-up for a crash and eventually Windows said that DCS had become unresponsive. Interesting, I didn't know about that. I have a different Liberation campaign I can run a mission from with no Tomcats and perhaps everything will be solid with the pagefile adjustments.

I ran a turn of another Liberation campaign last night that only has USAF/Army and Iraqi units and I flew for over 2 hours with no freezing. I'm going to do another turn of it this evening and see if things remain stable.