TF-51D and modern day P-51 air racing aircraft

• 1 month later...

You'd really need to look this up to get details - I'm not an expert by any means, but it's such a broad topic, depending on what class of racing you're talking about. The open, or unlimited class are HEAVILY modified, so to answer your question: They have strengthened components in nearly every part of the engine, anti-detonation mixture added to the intake charge, and boost pressure up to 150 inches of manifold pressure (nearly triple a stock P51), so you can imagine what needs to be done to handle this. You mentioned powerplant, so of course that's not going into the extensive airframe modifications as well.

As I said, this is just off the top of my head, I'm only an 'interested observer', I'm sure somebody can go into details.

• 9 months later...

They strip the warbirds down to as little as they can within the limits of their class and then make it into a dedicated racer.  Fully reworked engines, modified fuel, clipped wings and stabs,  cut canopies, lightweight everything.  They put millions in to warbirds that cost millions... to turn them into prop rockets for Reno..  It's crazy.

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps