Why is GPS aligning sometimes and sometimes not at start?

Michel0079
Go to solution Solved by QuiGon,

I fly the F18 for some time now. One thing that goes wrong more often than not, is the GPS alignment. Both in mulitplayer as in campaigns.

I follow the start up procedure that is basically: battery on, APU on, Starting engines, then GND or CVN alignment, HSI- STD HDG-. Than finger crossed it goes well an it ends with verdict "Qual OK" and i switch to IFA mode. 

But it frequently happens that it is aligning and before it ends in a OK it says No ATT. Then i just put in IFA (i noticed that since 2.8 it then is able to start aligning in air, which saves the day then for me).

I was wondering if this is a known issue, or is a fix i can do when i get message NO ATT? It can be a pain in the ass to fly without AP functions during a CAS mission especially, although it is good for flying skills i'll admit that 😉.

• Solution

I concur, it sounds like you release the parking break while the INS is still aligning. This will abort the aligning procedure.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I’ve had this happen a few times and can’t figure the cause. Apparently you can just press the stores heading button and forget the full align. I understand there’s no advantage to the full align in DCS

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 12/10/2022 at 4:50 AM, SharpeXB said:

I understand there’s no advantage to the full align in DCS

That's correct. Same is true for RL as well.
Unlike in DCS full alignment is usually not available IRL, as the jet (or rather its INS) needs to prepared for that beforehand. It's usually used for QRA duty.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg