TWS question

nickos86

Hi,

When in TWS, after I've locked a target I manually change the RDR to AUTO. Then, if for some reason I've lost the contact or I want to change the antenna elevation - I need to move the TDC and DEPRESS so that AUTO will change to BIAS. After locking the new target I need to manually change BIAS to MANUAL and then BACK to AUTO so that the RDR will follow the target. 

I that the correct sequence? Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong? 

I don't understand the extra steps after locking a target... Why It doesn't automatically change to AUTO after designating a TGT or going back to MAN after a target was lost?

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem in handling an TWS lock - it cost a lot time to handle that , in a situation where you have no time 🙂  

if anybody has a better solution or can explain how use tws in fast/ way it would be nice to hear. 

@nickos86 - I can only give you the hint I try to use RWS with a LTWS lock. The procedure is fast for me and uncomplicated. Bring a target in your scan range - press NWS button to select a radar contact and your are fine. 

select in the radar data menu your „target memory time“  to 16s or 32s (upper right corner) to be sure that your target track is not deleted with width radar angles. 

BR Kalle 

Edited by Fliegerkalle

6 hours ago, Fliegerkalle said:

I have the same problem in handling an TWS lock - it cost a lot time to handle that , in a situation where you have no time 🙂  

if anybody has a better solution or can explain how use tws in fast/ way it would be nice to hear. 

@nickos86 - I can only give you the hint I try to use RWS with a LTWS lock. The procedure is fast for me and uncomplicated. Bring a target in your scan range - press NWS button to select a radar contact and your are fine. 

select in the radar data menu your „target memory time“  to 16s or 32s (upper right corner) to be sure that your target track is not deleted with width radar angles. 

BR Kalle 

Use the AZ/EL and not AUTO. Let's you change azimuth and elevation simultaneously. 

On 12/13/2022 at 7:03 AM, Gideon312 said:

Maybe this is helpful:  

Note, this video just emphasis the problematic behavior I've described. You are obligated to manually choose AUTO after bugging a target and manually choose MAN after the target was lost. It makes little sense to me in fighting environment. 

It might be a "correct as is", so you'll have to map auto/man/reset to the HOTAS. Or perhaps it should be handled differently and we're missing something (perhaps its even a non-full-implementation of the system issue by ED ). 

I just find it a bit awkward that a pilot has to reach the DDI all the time during combat. 

Edited by nickos86
  • Thanks 1