Default gamma is far too high

Bucic

Screen_221208_213821 gamma default.jpgRelated

How to disable excessive bloom glow HDR? https://forum.dcs.world/topic/314204-how-to-disable-excessive-bloom-glow-hdr/

I got back to DCS after years. I was amazed how washed out everything looked but I put the blame on the fact that I'm running basically on LOW and hey, the changelog specifically stated the 2.2 gamma is recommended. But then two things hit me:

1. How common the washed out look is across DCS videos on youtube.

2. How poorly (!) cockpits look when the sun is shining directly at the instrument panels. The "nuclear sun" effect.

3. In a night mission massive color banding could be seen in the sky and on the clouds. From my experience those are "you're not supposed to see this anyway" bands.

So, yesterday I tested that to get a semblance of realistic lighting levels on my system I had to crank gamma in DCS down to 1.7, even 1.6 to address the "nuclear sun" effect.

In any case, I hit a jackpot. I got an improvement in visuals I could only expect from buying a GPU newer than mine by a generation.

Specs:

Latest Open Beta

Gamma initially calibrated*

Windows 10

GTX 970

iiyama PL E2283HS 1920x1080, nvcpl RGB mode Full, no nvcpl color corrections

*but it could be irrelevant on Windows since, from what I know, desktop color calibration isn't respected in 3D applications

Attachments: default vs corrected DCS gamma (1.6-1.7).

Screen_221209_234213.jpg

Screen_221209_234143.jpg

Screen_221208_213821 gamma minus 40 percent.jpg

Screen_221208_213821 gamma default.jpg

Screen_221203_224738.jpg

Screen_221203_224738 gamma 0p7.jpg

Screen_221203_203626.jpg

Screen_221203_203626 gamma 0p65.jpg

Edited by Bucic

@Bucic ah ha!! i have been wondering about this in Caucasus map. your suggestion is to lower the gamma? to confirm the screen shot below is the desired effect? this looks a lot better than what i see in game.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

10 hours ago, silverdevil said:

@Bucic ah ha!! i have been wondering about this in Caucasus map. your suggestion is to lower the gamma? to confirm the screen shot below is the desired effect? this looks a lot better than what i see in game.

Yes. Maybe even on the "a bit too low side" but I prioritize cockpit experience.

I take a screenshot in an obviously washed out look conditions

I load it up in Irfanview - shift+G

Then I can lower the gamma and see how far I should go, then I try to mimic the look in DCS

Unfortunately irfanview gamma is not directly convertible to DCS gamma

Better yet, create a washed out colour mission and do it all right in the DCS. I use F-5E Instant action - Free flight.