Winwing throttle trouble.

Ccryan

Just got a WinWing Hornet stick and the Orion 2 throttle with finger lift.  Stick works fine and mapped up easy. Only hiccup was that I was missing some hardware,(2 screws, two bolts and two nuts).  I started a ticket for the missing hardware with WinWing and you’d think I was asking for a whole new setup.  Multiple exchanges over days just to try to get a couple screws, which I still haven’t received nor have I been told they’re coming.

The throttle on the other hand….

At first the base worked fine and switches would map but I noticed a button on the grip wouldn’t work.  Then I noticed that none of the buttons on the throttle handles worked,(base was fine).

I start troubleshooting and before long, neither simapppro nor windows recognized the throttle.  Opened ANOTHER ticket with WinWing.  More back and forth.  

As of this morning, the base will light up if I remove the throttle grips and use the cable for the stick.  Windows recognizes it, but simmapppro will not unless I open the Simapp program and unplug and re-plug in the base.  No buttons are recognizeable on stick grips but they work on the simapppro app.  

im posting here hoping someone has had a similar issue and can offer some advice.  The customer service is a SLOOOOOW process.  One message a day, and so far completely worthless.

I wish I hadn’t purchased this unit.

Edited by Ccryan
  • Thanks 1

Only suggestion I would have is to reflash the firmware.  The 2 key things when doing this is ONLY ONE WinWing device attached to your computer while doing it, and preferable that it's plugged directly into your computer (rather than through a hub, powered or not).  I know funky things can happen if you flash with more than one device attached.

Unplug all USB devices except for KB and mouse. Run Simappro, plug in throttle. When you see it in the device tab, run a firmware update 

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 2 weeks later...

They’re sending new grips.  Tried flashing, did a reinstall of windows,(needed that anyway) and still nothing. 

the customer service is a bit of a joke.  Broken English via messaging with a country 13 hours ahead so it’s one message back and forth a day.  Took two weeks of messing around before they realized they sent me a bad part.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem.

My Throttle with the F18 grips was working fine. I was flying the AV8B exclusively. I then returned to the FA18 and was having problems getting the throttle settings right for the AB. I purchased the finger lift kits. Installation was simple but straight away, none of the buttons, hat switches worked on either grip. SIMAPP Pro showed only the throttle base present. The rest of the switches were working fine, as were the throttles. I went through their support and followed their instructions. They said it was a problem with the right throttle cable and sent me a new one. I installed it and it didn't have any effect. They then said they would send me new grips.... sound familiar?

I took the grips apart and showed them the PCB, (sent them videos and stills). Also took the base apart and showed them. they now say it's a problem with the base and not the grips or cables. I have to return the base and they will send out a new one.

Seems to me that the length of the throttle cables is too short. When you add the lift kit, it creates a lot of strain on the cable. In my case it was instant. Everything was fine right up until I installed the kit. When I took the kit out, it had no impact. The software doesn't recognize the grips.... can't see it being a grip failure.... Most annoying!

thumbnail_IMG_1369.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1381.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1388.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 9:06 AM, BuzzU said:

I was getting ready to order a WinWing.

Maybe not.

I wouldn't go so far as to not buy one. Mine was working fine and is actually fantastic. I do all my flying in VR now, so having all the switches available to you is awesome. Let it be known though, if you buy it basic and then add on to it, you're doing it yourself with pretty much zero customer support. If you're good at this, it's fine. If' you don't have the steady hands of a brain surgeon or you have limited knowledge of printed circuit boards...it's a little intimidating! Make sure you don't throw your old kit away! My problem came when I added the finger lift kit.... seems to have broken something inside. Same when I added the Shark kit to the F16 joystick grip... If you fancy getting the add ons, get them at the time you buy it and they should preassemble them and test them before they ship them out, (or so they claim). Their customer service sucks, and my replacement is now in a holding pattern in Shanghai as China shuts down for their Lunar New Year holidays. FedEx have stopped all operations there until 28th Jan. My failures happened at the end of November..... so it will be 2 months before it's all sorted. Still, way better than the Saitak X52 i've had to revert back to.

It's the CS and China that's stopping. Not really the problem you had.

Yes, i'd buy it together if I did buy it.

Since I fly the A-10C all the time now. I like have the Warthog. It just seems right. I've never had a problem with the 6 Warthogs i've owned. When I was thinking about the WW I was still flying the Hornet.

Thanks.

Buzz

I bought mine all together, orion 2 hotas max kit. It didn't come pre-assembled (shaker module etc..) but I had zero issues. It was just a plug and two screws.

Haven't had any trouble with my setup since purchase (2 months now) and a lot of flight hours.

Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better stick. I'm not aware of any stick that has as many bindings as this one which is nice since I'm still running out of bindings that I'd like to add to the stick and use modifiers on both the throttle and stick to double my bindings. I couldn't imagine going back to less bindings now.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

18 hours ago, trevoC said:

I bought mine all together, orion 2 hotas max kit. It didn't come pre-assembled (shaker module etc..) but I had zero issues. It was just a plug and two screws.

Haven't had any trouble with my setup since purchase (2 months now) and a lot of flight hours.

Personally, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better stick. I'm not aware of any stick that has as many bindings as this one which is nice since I'm still running out of bindings that I'd like to add to the stick and use modifiers on both the throttle and stick to double my bindings. I couldn't imagine going back to less bindings now.

My problem with the shaker kit was when I went to plug in the cable, the socket broke off. Needed to replace the entire PCB inside the stick. Spent all day getting that sorted. I had zero issues until that point. I added the shark kit as a way of adding extra button functionality that I lost from the throttle grips when they failed. I regret spending the $100 CAD on the finger lift kit that ultimately caused all the issues. It cost me that in shipping to ship the quadrant back to China so they would send out the replacement. 

2 hours ago, Auxair 51 said:

My problem with the shaker kit was when I went to plug in the cable, the socket broke off. Needed to replace the entire PCB inside the stick. Spent all day getting that sorted. I had zero issues until that point. I added the shark kit as a way of adding extra button functionality that I lost from the throttle grips when they failed. I regret spending the $100 CAD on the finger lift kit that ultimately caused all the issues. It cost me that in shipping to ship the quadrant back to China so they would send out the replacement. 

Just out of curiosity, what problems did you have with the finger lift kit. I prefer the throttle with the kit as I like the fuel-cut off to idle option.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Auxair 51:

I wouldn't go so far as to not buy one. Mine was working fine and is actually fantastic. I do all my flying in VR now, so having all the switches available to you is awesome. Let it be known though, if you buy it basic and then add on to it, you're doing it yourself with pretty much zero customer support. If you're good at this, it's fine. If' you don't have the steady hands of a brain surgeon or you have limited knowledge of printed circuit boards...it's a little intimidating! Make sure you don't throw your old kit away! My problem came when I added the finger lift kit.... seems to have broken something inside. Same when I added the Shark kit to the F16 joystick grip... If you fancy getting the add ons, get them at the time you buy it and they should preassemble them and test them before they ship them out, (or so they claim). Their customer service sucks, and my replacement is now in a holding pattern in Shanghai as China shuts down for their Lunar New Year holidays. FedEx have stopped all operations there until 28th Jan. My failures happened at the end of November..... so it will be 2 months before it's all sorted. Still, way better than the Saitak X52 i've had to revert back to.

No...that stuff is not preassambled when you buy it at once. Neither my F/A-18 not F-16 throttle was preassambled. I would be surprised if it was any different for the sticks.

Anyways...I did not encounter any problems while assambling either throttle.

vor 23 Stunden schrieb BuzzU:

I've never had a problem with the 6 Warthogs i've owned.

Why did you own 6 (!) Warthogs in the first place then...? 😆

• Like 2

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

1 hour ago, Phantom711 said:

Why did you own 6 (!) Warthogs in the first place then...? 😆

I get bored and go back to racing or hunting. I sell my DCS gear when I do that. I'm sure nobody would buy my Warthogs if they weren't in perfect condition.

Buzz

I flip between iRacing / MSFS / DCS all the time for months on end sometimes without playing one or the other maybe even up to a year if I'm busy. Couldn't imagine selling all my fanatec wheels and DD's or winwing stuff every time I didn't play the game for a few months. I find that bizarre.

To install the finger lift kit, you have to remove the grips, install the lift base with two long screws, and then attach the grips to the lift kit. I did all that fine. As soon as I entered DCS, none of the grip buttons, hat switches worked. Went into SAP and the grips were not even there. Not recognized at all. Removed the kit and reverted back to my original set up and the grips still didn't register. Lots of back and forth on their CS portal. Initially they thought the PCB in the grip was faulty so had to take it apart and send them video of the red light flashing. That showed the grip board was working fine so they deduced it was the cable running from the right grip to the base and sent out a new one. Stripped it all down and installed the cable and guess what.... no difference! The then told me to send the base back and they would send out a new one. My guess is that by adding the lift kit, at the top of the curve of the kit, it put too much strain on the throttle cable and that damaged the main board in the base unit. All the buttons and switches on the base worked fine, the throttles worked fine, just the grips didn't register.

I'm in two minds as to whether or not to attach the lift kit when the new base arrives.... I liked the feel of the AB Detent and the idle cut off.... but it's not worth risking the loss of grip functionality, and the 2 months of faffing around with the CS team and waiting for a replacement to arrive....

I guess you simply had bad luck. In June last year I bought two Orion 2 bases; one for F-18 with fingerlifts, the other one for F-16. Both still work fine.

Installation of the fingerlift kit was easy and I had no problems.

But I understand you, that their  customer service could be much better. Had a few questions back when i bought the throttles. This was annoying because of the different time zones and their ticket / chat system.

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the opposite problem and Viper throttle works awesome but stick has been a constant headache. Bought back in April, and still have my Thrustmaster Warthog plugged in. Be patient, but not too patient that too much time passes and your credit card company will no longer intervene <-- my mistake. If I had to do it again, I'd open a dispute with my credit card company right away and see who got to me first.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind in these controls is the correct USB power supply. I work in electronics and have noticed that without a USB connection with good amperage, some buttons may not work. In my case it happened to me with the TX PTT buttons of the F16EX throttle did not work for me or did so erratically. It was changing the port and solving the problem.

Hope this helps others.

• Like 1