Caucasus map showing roads you can land an F15c on?

-Vindicator-

Not that I'm aware of, though I wouldn't be surprised if some community members actually undertook something as crazy as that. 😄

The thing is, IRL off-base landings require a lot of preparation; such places need to be scouted, potential obstacles need to be removed, and then you'll want support units, e.g. local ATC, a weather station for up-to-date and localized weather reports/ATIS, you'll probably want fuel and weapons, so that requires personnel and vehicles and logistics...

Basically it's the same thing someone would have to do in DCS to find and then prepare suitable locations, just that it's maybe a bit easier in DCS. 😇

If you are to undertake such an endeavor yourself, I'm sure the community would appreciate a list of your findings. 🙂 

Edited by Yurgon

5 hours ago, -Vindicator- said:

Is there a Caucasus map (preferably printable) showing roads (without obstructions like trees, telephone poles, etc.) that one can land an F15c (or other aircraft) on?

That’s a pretty impressive ask! Who in hell would take on something like that, anyway? Oh. Wait a minute…ummm…that might have been me, in a way.

At one point in the past, I was around looking for off-road landing sites (as well as on road with off-road parking) and marked the locations into a mission. I’ll look for it tonight and post it here, if I find it. It was not exhaustive and, IIRC, it was for the Su-27 or, maybe, the MiG-29. I don’t recall exactly. The off road stuff will probably not work for the F-15. You might be restricted to roads only.

The trick in regards to roads is finding those long enough, straight enough, and level enough to work. Assuming the scenery removal trigger works in the sim’s current version (whether or not it does seems to be an on-again off-again affair) light poles, trees etc can be removed from any road. So, when it’s working, the ancillary stuff isn’t a problem.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

7 hours ago, -Vindicator- said:

Is there a Caucasus map (preferably printable) showing roads (without obstructions like trees, telephone poles, etc.) that one can land an F15c (or other aircraft) on?

Yes, there is one:

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

There are a lot of road sections where you can land a "regular" plane such as F-15, F-16, F/A-18, MiG-29, Su-27. It all depends on whether you need to make an emergency landing and survive in the event of engine failure or fuel exhaustion, or whether you need to organize a Road Airport Section there. If the latter, it will be a problem, because if it is possible to land, some machines may have a problem with turning around and starting again. And more than one plane is already a big problem. And there are one or two stretches long enough to land and take off in the same direction on the entire map. Those that seem "perfect" most often have poles and trees at the edges.

Well…it looks like you might already have what you need. But in case you don’t (or someone else is interested in it for other reasons), I’ve attached the mission I spoke of. I used the MiG-29 which can have an incredibly short takeoff and landing roll. So some of the roads involved may not be long enough to suit the F-15.

In all cases, the MiGs start on grass either adjacent to a road or out in a field. I think there are over 50 slots. At the time, those with their role listed as “Intercept” took very little throttle to start rolling. Those with a listed role of “CAP” took up to 75% throttle to begin rolling. Or maybe it was vice-versa. Use the mission (or not) in good health.

MiG-29 Roadside Test 2.miz

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 1 month later...

Btw. although it is not the caucasus-map, but maybe just for your interest: if the traffic is turned off in the mission-editor, one can easily land on the big highways in Nevada and Persian Gulf. With the F-15C you can even turn around on the street to start again - or roll to the next junction. It’s quite a challenge everytime and for sure a lot of fun to roll through the landscape on groundlevel in a relaxing velocity.

Edited by Maltschik