How to increase display symbol brightness?

dporter22

Is there a secret to making the symbols over the FLIR and map bright enough to actually see them clearly?  I've tried every combination of brightness and contrast but no matter tnullhe settings the symbols are always barely visible. The map has a symbol brightness button but even at max the symbols are not very bright, and turning the gain down all the way helps a little but then you lose most of the map visibility.

In the A-10 the symbols are very clear over the map and TGP MFDs.

image.jpeg

Screen_221218_145522.jpg

Screen_220925_124600.png

Thanks. I just have a hard time understanding why they would design something as important as the symbology to be near invisible IRL. The pilot should be concerned with getting the best image possible, but the symbols/overlays should be highly visible and instantly readable under all display settings.

• ED Team

Looking at images the video brightness looks far too high and is drowning out the symbols and text?

please include a track replay example and let us know your contrast setting

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

MAP symbol poor visibility is reported as what it's like IRL.  I put it to NITE MODE, drop GAIN to minimum and CONTRAST to 3.  That's the best compromise I've come up with.
I also do this during the day, but unfortunately I am unable to dim the map and keep bright symbols at night and dusk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another tip I use is to change the IR from the black hot to white hot, this normally makes the bright zone (the whole image sometimes like in your image) black so you can see again the simbology.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

EDIT: As a reference I leave here a real video of the litening at 41:40, you can see there how effectively the simbology is indeed washed out against the background when in FLIR white hot mode

Edited by falcon_120

• ED Team
7 hours ago, CBStu said:

Why not have the image size smaller than the screen size. See the OP's second picture and look at the right DDI which has surface radar displayed. It has a black border all around the screen so the green labels really stand out.

Might be better to ask Boeing? 🙂 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Good point NineLine. I doubt we could ever get them to comment on a plane that first went into service in 1983. I had to look up that date to be sure. Then I tried to remember what kind of PC I had in 1983. I think maybe we tried one in 1990. With that in mind I guess we need to give Boeing a break sometimes. 

On 12/19/2022 at 7:50 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Looking at images the video brightness looks far too high and is drowning out the symbols and text?

please include a track replay example and let us know your contrast setting

thanks

Yes, I've tried all combinations of brightness/contrast.  The pic shows the display with medium brightness, but brightness doesn't really matter anyway because decreasing the brightness also decreases the brightness of the symbols which keeps them nearly invisible regardless of the settings.  And turning up the contrast just makes the symbols more yellow which makes them even less visible.

The center display at least has a separate symbol brightness control, but it still doesn't make them bright enough to see clearly over the map.

Interestingly, when you export MFS to external screens, they be come substantially more readable. No more constant fiddling with brightness/contrast/auto or manual gain etc. It just works perfectly 95% of the time.

Because of this, I’ve come to the conclusion that the raw MFD/FLIR displays are actually recreated rather realistically, but once they are placed into the 3D environment, and all the environmental lighting effects/shaders are applied on top of the raw MFD/FLIR image, readability drops considerably.

I don’t have my export displays currently available to provide an example, but I’m sure someone else could create an example.

Edited by norman99