I wish UGRA MEDIA's Next Project was UPDATE NTTR

JUICE-AWG

I would buy the NTTR map if the terrain got updated to be more realistic! living in the desert the first flight on the NTTR map greatly disappointed me. the expansion that you proposed Definitely makes Since to me. in the area you talk about would the Yuma Proving grounds be included?

why cant a live carrier be placed in late Mead it is definitely big enough and deep enough! that could fix all the problems! 🙂

Edited by DukeAngus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 2:18 AM, MacEwan said:

Day 1 purchase

That would be super cool! With their attention to detail !! 

Day O purchase two already 😉

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 4 weeks later...

NTTR is my no. 1 favorite map with the 476th range targets and mission. There is no better place for training with western aircraft.

I'd pay full price for an up to date remake of this map no matter if Fallon or not. It would be a VERY nice extra but, at least for me personally, not mandatory. I would be okay with its current boundaries but 2023 level textures and ground mesh, ground vegetation, airports including all the navigational stuff and urban areas. (and get all these ramp spots correct. Looking at you, Golf revetments!)

On 12/26/2022 at 11:30 AM, JUICE-AWG said:

SURVEY:  How many existing Nevada NTTR owners would pay an additional $10 or so to have an updated terrain that goes from the Grand Canyon in east to 100 nautical miles off the coast of California and from the US/Mexico border in the south to 100 nautical miles north of NAS Fallon?

- Think of all the Navy Campaigns that could be sold, Test Pilot Campaigns out of Edwards AFB, China Lake Test, NTC and MAGTFTG/MCAGCC Twentynine Palms potential that is just waiting to be built.

- More airports, navigational aids, ranges, and massive training exercises lie in the fold of this upgrade.

QUESTION:  What would you like to see added to this map?

~J

would pay up to 15 dollars for the upgrade.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

9 hours ago, ThorBrasil said:

would pay up to 15 dollars for the upgrade.

Tbh i think such a substantial upgrade would require the map to be redone from scratch and this would file under "full price". It is old map making tech and ED always said it is feature complete and will not be touched anymore. NTTR is pretty much the Windows XP of DCS. I can understand how they would not do substantial work on this. The map SDK used for Caucasus, NTTR and iirc PG probably got buried years ago and the new map making tools are likely not that much backwards compatible. So this is way more than just dropping the old map in the new map tools and add a little bit. For the Caucasus update a few year ago i guess they digged that tools out again, because Caucasus is the first impression you got when you come to DCS. Giving it a make up until Marianas was ready with new map tech.

If NTTR was touched, i could imagine textures maybe get an overhaul. I would pay these 10 or 20 bucks for this alone, as i see this, apart from the ground mesh and vegetation missing, to be the biggest aging factor of the map. There is a lack in variation that makes the map look dull and takes away the impression of speed. Textures are probably way easier to replace than adding stuff or messing with the ground mesh (which would then require reworking the textures and also at least check all static items for their position, probably correct most for the new mesh). But i see this already to be unrealistic.

It were great if ED would find a way to hand this over to a 3rd party for a remake. Their own map team seems to be quite busy with WWII Marianas and maybe something else. With Australia in sight, DCS will receive an up to date western training ground. This will set back NTTR sales a lot i assume. In my opinion the best time to go for a complete revamp of that map and phase the old one out. When sails were set this year for a new NTTR, we would probably have it somewhere 2026 or so. Who will buy a 15+ year old map to this date? NTTR is so tremenously iconic, it deserves some love. And when extended and including maybe the coast or at least Fallon, this would sell very well. People beg for this for years now. Make this a thing ED. Pass the flame 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

@Wags Could we put New NTTR update and expansion on the future list just for the What If Factor?  The progress of Normandy 2 demonstrates the potential for any previous terrain.

V/r
Juice

• Like 2

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I read some mods explaining it's a very old technology and they probably couldn't just "expand" it even if they wanted to. It'd need to be a whole new map and since NTTR is the least interesting map (not because I say so, apparently users' stats, sells and the like, says so) they wouldn't probably do that. If they did It'd be nice to have, of course, I like that map for testing and training and it's a nice map, but I don't think It'll happen, at least any time soon.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

14 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

I think I read some mods explaining it's a very old technology and they probably couldn't just "expand" it even if they wanted to. It'd need to be a whole new map and since NTTR is the least interesting map (not because I say so, apparently users' stats, sells and the like, says so) they wouldn't probably do that. If they did It'd be nice to have, of course, I like that map for testing and training and it's a nice map, but I don't think It'll happen, at least any time soon.

Well,this is a little "chicken or egg?" I guess. NTTR isn't very popular anymore. But would an expanded version be? A Version from vegas to the coast? From The mexican border up to Pyramid Lake,or even the border to Oregon?
I think it would. 

And the fact that the existing NTTR Map doesn't sell this good anymore could make the way free for Ugra to do it. Cause ED hasn't much to loose anymore. 

My Ugra map wish list:

1-  NTTR  expansion wesbound implementing Fallon NAS, Edwards AFB,China Lake, Lemoore . Eastbound covering great Canyon in detail.

2- Peninsula Iberica map ( Spain ). Los Llanos AFB, Albacete, home of the TLP.

3- Vietnam map

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would 100% pay for an upgrade.  In a perfect world there would be a South West US map.  I'd love to see Yuma, Luke, Miramar and others.  It's a bummer that Edwards (see photo) and Fallon, despite being in the NTTR map confines are not modeled.  But, we can dream, it's been made clear that ED won't touch the present NTTR.  I still enjoy the map, it is just far below the bar of other maps out there. 

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Screenshot_2023.10.29_-_10.47.06.86.png