the Radar: PESA or AESA?

San_A

• San_A changed the title to the Radar: PESA or AESA?
12 hours ago, Zahnatom said:

Captor-M is an M-scan radar btw, not PESA or AESA.

and another sidenote(not necessarily related), the CAPTOR-D is the CAPTOR-M. the -D was renamed to -M

That's not really the case. Captor-M is a generic term for the mechanically scanned version and equally apploes to the Tranche 1 and 2 radar standards, aka Captor-C and D. The primary difference between these two radar standards was the processor  albeit other LRIs have been upgraded as well, also for Tranche 3. There is typically no discrimination between T2/3 radar standards as earlier hardware is brought up to the same standard. The same cannot be said for the T1 radar, albeit some T2 radar LRIs have been retro qualified to be used in conjunction with the old processor.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Spectre11 said:

That's not really the case. Captor-M is a generic term for the mechanically scanned version and equally apploes to the Tranche 1 and 2 radar standards, aka Captor-C and D. The primary difference between these two radar standards was the processor  albeit other LRIs have been upgraded as well, also for Tranche 3. There is typically no discrimination between T2/3 radar standards as earlier hardware is brought up to the same standard. The same cannot be said for the T1 radar, albeit some T2 radar LRIs have been retro qualified to be used in conjunction with the old processor.

i cannot agree on the "generic term" part.

if you could tell me where you get that from, that'd be great because i can't find anything suggesting that the Captor-C was/is also described as the Captor-M.

The term Captor-M was coined when the Captor-E AESA radar emerged to distinguish the meachanically scanning version from the electronic scanning which. That's done indiscreminately irrespective of whether we are talking about the Tranche 1 (Captor-C) and the Tranche 2 (Captor-D) radar standards. In all official documentation I have seen thus far, the terms Captor-C or -D aren't even used. It's always T1 or T2 radar.

That's a big ask of a small antenna.  Should be better than any mechscan smaller than the above, but those planes have massive size advantages which improve power and gain which is a 3 part improvement to the radar range equation.  Captor-M would have to rely solely on signals processing capability to catch up.

• Like 2

I think captor is more likely the best mechanical scan radar in its class. The Swiss evaluation implied a longer range the apg-73 and RBE2 but not overwhelmingly. I also have this antidote 

https://www.timesaerospace.aero/features/defence/aesa-does-itor-does-it

More recently, in November 2018, an experienced Luftwaffe Typhoon pilot told me that he hadn’t found himself “in one situation where I wanted or needed E-scan”. 
He highlighted the excellent performance and capability of the M-scan radar on the Eurofighter and stressed that he would rather have the EuroFirst passive infrared airborne track equipment infrared search-and-track (PIRATE IRST), which was absent on German Eurofighters, than a new radar. 
He would also rather augment the existing radar with a Litening laser designator pod (LDP) to give a passive long-range visual identification capability.
Contrast that with some UK Royal Air Force pilots with experience of operating over Syria viewing M-scan radar as being on the verge of complete obsolescence, since mechanically scanned radars exhibit an inherently greater vulnerability to jamming and suffer from an inability to fully exploit the performance and capabilities of new weapons, including the Meteor BVRAAM.
Whatever the arguments, there’s no doubt that the Middle East has embraced AESA technology.

I would expect apg-71 and possibly apg-70/63(v)1 could exploit meteor fully and might brute force through jamming.

blue vixen, captors forerunner was supposedly very good at maintaining locks and allegedly filled in coverage gaps for AWACS in the Yugoslav wars, so I think Captor is more the best in other ways then simply range. 

8 minutes ago, F-2 said:

The Swiss evaluation implied a longer range the apg-73 and RBE2 but not overwhelmingly.

blue vixen, captors forerunner was supposedly very good at maintaining locks and allegedly filled in coverage gaps for AWACS in the Yugoslav wars, so I think Captor is more the best in other ways then simply range. 

and there is a vast chasm of range between APG-73 and APG-71.  As to non-range factors, sure I 100% can buy it being the best Mechscan.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Spectre11 said:

Regard...

Yes that's for the Captor-E. If your question was related to the stndard Captor-M it's 70 in Az and 60 in El.

You flew the Typhoon right? Is it true scan speed is very fast and some kinda interleaving of modes is possible?

On 4/4/2023 at 5:50 PM, F-2 said:

You flew the Typhoon right? Is it true scan speed is very fast and some kinda interleaving of modes is possible?

To my knowledge mode interleaving isn't possible. You can still select the AA Attack forrmat while the radar is in an A/S mode, but the ATCK format is not a plain radar format. The high scan rates enable Captor to utilise max. search volumes in TWS. Other M-Scans have typically constrained search volumes in TWS compared search modes like RWS or VS.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Spectre11 said:

To my knowledge mode interleaving isn't possible. You can still select the AA Attack forrmat while the radar is in an A/S mode, but the ATCK format is not a plain radar format. The high scan rates enable Captor to utilise max. search volumes in TWS. Other M-Scans have typically constrained search volumes in TWS compared search modes like RWS or VS.

Thank you!