Shkval may go dark if zoomed in / Night Missions

I have noticed a strange behaviour in DCS:BS, with night missions and flare.

(Insurgent Camp by TX Squad)

When I have a target locked which is iluminated by flare, and I zoom in to max out the shkval screen for Target identification, the screen goes black at a certain "zoom in level".

Seems as there is some incorrect logic in respect to view angles in the programme code.

Anyone else noticed this issue?!

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

yup ive noticed it too, i wrote it up in the other NVG thread, but i find if you zoom in halfway and then look up, so as to have the shkval screen at teh bottom of your peripheral view, you get the best illumination...

however, i really think this is a bug and i hope they fix it soon :D

mind the ka50 not really intended for nighttime operations.

thats where the n version comes in.

[edit] Ka-50N and Ka-50Sh

Because of limited night-time capability of the original Ka-50 "Shkval" TV sighting and targeting system, modified versions of single-seat Ka-50 were built. They were named Ka-50N ("Nochnoy", rus. "Night") and Ka-50Sh ("Shar", rus. "Sphere" - because of spherical FLIR turret). Many variants were tried, on some original "Shkval" was supplemented by thermal imaging system, while on others - completely replaced by "Samshite" day-and-night system (also used on Ka-52), including French SAGEM or Thomson thermal imagers. None of those entered mass production so far.

Edited by diveplane

mind the ka50 not really intended for nighttime operations.

thats where the n version comes in.

[edit] Ka-50N and Ka-50Sh

Because of limited night-time capability of the original Ka-50 "Shkval" TV sighting and targeting system, modified versions of single-seat Ka-50 were built. They were named Ka-50N ("Nochnoy", rus. "Night") and Ka-50Sh ("Shar", rus. "Sphere" - because of spherical FLIR turret). Many variants were tried, on some original "Shkval" was supplemented by thermal imaging system, while on others - completely replaced by "Samshite" day-and-night system (also used on Ka-52), including French SAGEM or Thomson thermal imagers. None of those entered mass production so far.

I know, however this behaviour is clearly a bug. It has nothing to do with the BS not being a "night rider".

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

I second this! Actually i think, the displayed illumination on the TV-display vanishes, if the illuminated area is no longer displayed anywhere on the screen. So if you look down "to much" in such a way you do not see outside of the cockpit, or if you only see not illuminated areas (through the side windows for example) the TV-Display goes to night lighting. I also think this is a bug, or at least a acknowlegable limitation of the gfx engine.

Yep, this is one of a few bugs in BS.

I can't use zoom function in night missions.

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

The light source is culled from the 3D scene when it's not located within the camera frustum.

Not really a bug but a function of the 3d engine clipping things not in view, normally this is unnoticed but here it's glaringly obvious, if you pardon the weak pun.

This our hobby - not our job - if we are not having a laugh, we're doing it wrong. - Rats