F6F HELLCAT Coming To DCS WORLD - MAIN THREAD - PHOTOS, NEWS, UPDATES, DISCUSSIONS AND MORE!

MLGSwagPilot

Given the extensive work ED has in sound on the R-2800, I suspect the Hellcat will have a smoother start. 

Flying the Hellcat in the civilian sim was a real revelation for me. It is an easy and comfortable warbird to fly. My first love will be the P-47, but I understand why nearly every pilot who flew the Hellcat loved it so much. That is a plane that wants to fly and fly well. 

The Corsair seems like a much more temperamental thorough bred. Faster, and in some ways more manuverable, but with some vicious characteristics that will bite an inexperienced or distracted pilot. 

I suspect the Hellcat's biggest advantage was that it did not drain its pilot to the same degree that contemporaries could, so when the pilots hit combat they were able to function at a much higher level of effectiveness. 

And if the plane does take a few years? We've got a really solid version in the civilian sim to play around with while we wait 🙂

Why yes, it can bush.

• Like 3

So excited to see F6F at the end of 2023 & Beyond video. Finally I'll have a chance to add this one of my favourite piston fighter to my humble WWII hangar with Spit and Mustang. I've been hesitant to decide if I wanted to get the F4U when it's released, but F6F is definitely an instant buy for me. Thank you ED for planning to make this aircraft happen~

12 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Did any variant of the Hellcat exist with 4x20mm cannons?

I don't think so. Some units of the night fighter variant F6F-5N have two 20mm cannons and four 50 cals, according to wikipedia. I doubt we're getting that.

Some variants of the F4U (-1C / -4B, and -4E / -4N night fighters) were fitted with four 20mm cannons. Don't think we're getting those either, but if we do, I'm going to buy both F4U and F6F modules😄

22 ore fa, Ala13_ManOWar ha scritto:

Did any variant of the Hellcat exist with 4x20mm cannons?

As far as I know there were only Night Fighters with 2x 20mm and 4x .50 cals, but no variants with 4x 20mm. On the other hand, as @R.Z.said, some F4U variants were fitted with 4x 20mm cannons. Personally, I prefer the .50 cals, better ballistics and more ammo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MLGSwagPilot said:

As far as I know there were only Night Fighters with 2x 20mm and 4x .50 cals, but no variants with 4x 20mm. On the other hand, as @R.Z.said, some F4U variants were fitted with 4x 20mm cannons. Personally, I prefer the .50 cals, better ballistics and more ammo.

Too true. When I first got the P-51D I initially worried the .50 might be too weak compared to other planes with cannons, but as I worked on my gunnery thru all those missions and campaigns, I came to find that a well aimed 1sec short burst is often enough to destroy an enemy fighter, truck, or even AA site. So it's not too bad at all, just need to be patient and wait for the right moment...

On 1/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, grafspee said:

I wonder which version it would be.

I hope it will be F6F-5

If I understood correctly, Nick from ED happens to own a Hellcat. It will most likely based on that specific model I could imagine.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 hours ago, Breakaway said:

If only ED were making the Corsair, it would probably have been released years ago

Kinda true. ED are not the fastest with most announced features/etc. (for good reasons - this isn't supposed to be a rant), but WW2 birds they are releasing fairly fast.

Mossie, Anton, etc. were all fairly quickly released after their announcement, at least it feels like that to me.
Hind as well I have to say.

• Like 2

Alias in Discord: Mailman

11 minutes ago, Hiob said:

If I understood correctly, Nick from ED happens to own a Hellcat. It will most likely based on that specific model I could imagine.

Model 1 was prototype only production models are -3 and -5, all restored airworthy examples are only -3 and -5

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

6 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Kinda true. ED are not the fastest with most announced features/etc. (for good reasons - this isn't supposed to be a rant), but WW2 birds they are releasing fairly fast.

Mossie, Anton, etc. were all fairly quickly released after their announcement, at least it feels like that to me.
Hind as well I have to say.

Remember the delay on the Mossie. I think has very early to think on a "incoming release".

• ED Team
9 hours ago, Breakaway said:

If only ED were making the Corsair, it would probably have been released years ago

I think M3 will do a wonderful job on the Corsair and with DCS aircraft modules its a marathon not a race, quality over quantity, etc etc. 

• Like 5

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

31 minutes ago, NineLine said:

I think M3 will do a wonderful job on the Corsair and with DCS aircraft modules its a marathon not a race, quality over quantity, etc etc. 

they finally gave us the development update on Corsair after 2 pages of b^ing and moaning, not sure why all of that was necessary. Lack of info/news creates a vacuum that can only be filled with anxiety and doubt, it's obvious but we continue to experience it here. All it takes is one 3-line paragraph to put it all to rest. Anyway, don't want to start another discussion about it, bignewy locked that topic, let's not get this one locked as well.. 😄

• Like 2

Probably too early to ask, but will the Hellcat come with a Yorktown-class carrier? Or will it use the Mag3 Essex class? And if so how will the Essex class carrier be sold? Will it he purely attached to the Corsair. So if you want to do do carrier ops in the hellcat you also need the corsair.  Or have ED and Mag3 done a deal so the Hellcat also comes with the Essex carrier?

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 minutes ago, Cunctator said:

When the Hellcat entered combat, there was just the Enterprise left of the 3 Yorktowns. Better use the resources to model some battleship, cruisers, destroyers etc. to built believable task forces around the Essex class.

I agree with that,(tho i really want the Big E)

But that leaves the question would you need to buy the corsair. Or will there be a cross modual deal(this would probably be the most consumer friendly option.  But not necessarily possible to do)

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

All 3rd party assets so far are available to everyone, despite being made to support a module. The Forrestal, the Tarawa, HMS Invincible and the other ships done for the South Atlantic map, the Chinese Assets. The Essex class will be one of the essential cornerstones for DCS WW2 Pacific, needed much more for the hellcat than the F4U. Everything is possible, but I doubt it will be only for Corsair owners.