Consider Making Both the F6F-5 and F6F-3.

Cliffhanger31

First of all let me say thanks to ED for making my favorite warbird. I’d like to make the case here for developing both variants of the Hellcat for DCS in a similar manner to the 3 variants of the P-47D (-30 early, -30, and -40) that we currently have. The scope of the changes between the -3 and -5 Hellcats is pretty similar to the P47, so I think including both variants would be similar development-wise. Including the -3 would give us the classic variant of the Hellcat that flew in the Marianas, Gilbert’s, Marshall’s, and Solomon Islands. The -5 entered service in late 1944 and would be the perfect counterpart to the upcoming F4U-1D and any late war maps such as Okinawa or Southern Japan.  

The main differences between the -3 and -5 Hellcats are: 

- Engine cowling

- Windscreen

-Instrument panel

-Visibility window

-Armament

- Water injection

The F6F-3 has a slightly different cowling, with a small bulge in the side and extra cowl flaps on the bottom

591ECA6B-2CDB-45CF-8F12-670C659AF4BD.jpegThe -5 removed both of these features

79AE0F10-BBE3-4D6F-9C2E-EBE2EDA66EA2.jpegThe windscreen on the -3 had an outer frame and glass with the armored glass and its frame inside the outer windscreen. 

4440A9C6-9EA1-4233-B88D-F93E536ABE23.jpegThe -5 variant did away with the outer windscreen and incorporated the bulletproof glass directly into the windscreen

A2420F39-019E-4951-A968-0F18D52ED4EA.jpeg
There was also a small window located aft of the cockpit on all F6F-3s and early production F6F-5s

10F4055B-1C3A-4A99-87A4-3F5B5165886C.jpeg

This window was removed for later production -5s.

E3FAA34D-37D5-40D3-B13F-68822418A5CD.jpeg

The last of the “major” cosmetic differences is in the cockpit. The instrument panel in the -3 is very basic

05999A63-6497-4B81-A8BA-088A8915452F.jpegWhile the -5 added a reflector panel for better illumination during night flying and a few other minor changes noted in the manual.

4FE4F5E5-4379-4DAB-BBBF-67F5215498DC.jpeg
The last two differences are pretty simple, both the -3 and -5 had the R2800-10 engine, but the -5 came standard with water injection while most -3s did not. In the same vein the -5 was rocket capable, while the -3 was not. 

I’m sure there are other differences that I missed but I think these are the major ones that be relevant to DCS. If anyone knows of others please add them. 

E3A07078-3B1C-4B56-AD55-C5AE4C44E3B7.jpeg

Edited by Cliffhanger31
  • Like 5

F6F-5 entered serial production around April or May 1944, so that is mid 44. I don’t know when they got into action because carrier action tends to be more episodic - maybe late 44.

The differences between the F6F-3 and -5 that players will notices are 3:

1. The WEP with water injection.

2. Modified ailerons that slightly improved roll rate (not as much as hoped).

3. Air to ground capacity - HVAR for sure. I don’t know about bombs - F6F-5 could carry two, but I know that at the attack on Truk in early 1944 hellcats were dropping 1000 lbs bombs, so the -3 could carry at least one.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

22 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

That is a late production F6F-5. Note the later cowling, windscreen, and lack of rear window. Modern warbird restorations can be a bit of a mixed bag using whatever parts are available. Either the website got it wrong or maybe the aircrafts data plate belonged to a -3. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, Cliffhanger31 said:

The -3 could actually carry the same bomb load as the -5, either two wing bombs or on the centerline, so the only difference in A/G ordnance is the rockets. 
194F03D0-0DD0-47BE-929A-152D6EF3FF72.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification. So, I suppose 3 bombs load was theoretically possible? I never saw it mentioned so even if possible it was probably never used, but I am not a great expert on F6F history.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Depends on whether you can manage to drain enough gas from the tanks in order to lift off with three. Those warbirds didn't carry all that much. It should be physically possible to strap on three bombs, though I'm not sure if the release controller would let you drop them in a sensible manner.

56 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Depends on whether you can manage to drain enough gas from the tanks in order to lift off with three. Those warbirds didn't carry all that much. It should be physically possible to strap on three bombs, though I'm not sure if the release controller would let you drop them in a sensible manner.

You can load up the Spitfire with 1000lb of bomb.

And the drop mechanism is literally 1 button. Not even an arming ability.

But I assume those times they were loaded with 3 bombs they were doing very short range missions. 

At Goodwood I think some spitfires had like a 5 minute flight to targets.

How often is a Hellcat gonna be 5 or 10 minutes from their target? 

So even if possible,  I would assume 2 bombs were max in reality. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

As often as some crazy marines base it on the same damn island they're still fighting over? 🙂 Yes, Navy needs range, but Marines, they'd do something like that just to get more boom onto the enemy per sortie. They did fly the Hellcat, not just the Corsair.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bozon said:

Thanks for the clarification. So, I suppose 3 bombs load was theoretically possible? I never saw it mentioned so even if possible it was probably never used, but I am not a great expert on F6F history.

It was definitely possible because they often carried single 1000 pound bombs on the centerline when the extra fuel wasn’t needed. Haven’t seen a photo of it though so probably not too common. 

5 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The standard 150 gallon drop tank weighed somewhere around 900 pounds when full, and 2x 500 lb bomb + 150 gallon tank was a common load, so you could certainly get off the deck with 3x 500 lb bombs and probably even 2x 500 lb + a single 1000 lb bomb. 

4 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

You can load up the Spitfire with 1000lb of bomb.

And the drop mechanism is literally 1 button. Not even an arming ability.

But I assume those times they were loaded with 3 bombs they were doing very short range missions. 

At Goodwood I think some spitfires had like a 5 minute flight to targets.

So even if possible,  I would assume 2 bombs were max in reality. 

Quite often. For example in the Marianas, many of the CVEs and CVLs were apart of the amphibious fleet operating right off shore to provide direct support to the landings. 

The Spitfire has a very limited range compared to naval fighters as the F6For F4U, which carry more than twice the internal fuel of an Spitfire.

During heavy ordnance test in September 1944 land based MAG-31 F4U-1Ds flew strike missions with three 1000lb bombs or even two 1000lb and one 2000lb  bombs from Roi to Wotje in the Marshall islands, which are about 150 NM apart.  The hellcat is only slightly larger than the F4U and has the same engine. It should be able of similar feats. 

• Like 1