Jump to content

The four hog


nick10
 Share

Recommended Posts

They'll have to release the 1D, then several months/years finishing it all up. They also seem to work hard on adding quite a few ww2 Pacific assets.  And they have the MiG21 upgrade to do and the F8 that's only in the start of the process. 

So no I don't think we can expect the F

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This could be a good project in maybe 5 to 10 years from now, when the ever evolving nature of DCS might make an upgrade of the F4U desirable. Selling a new variant could cover the costs.

The F4U-4 not only has a more powerful engine, but also a completely redesigned more ergonomical cockpit, with some systems, as the intercooler or oilcooler flap controls automatized. Thus it would require more modeling and coding time than maybe apparent on the first glance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All said above is true but, once someone in the map/terrain community gets their thumb out and decides to build a map of the Korean peninsula, the inpetus to get a -4 out the door to go along with the Skyraider, F-51, F-86 and Mig 15 will be significant! 🤪  Don't be a buzzkill and take my dream away with logic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify. My original comment might seem a bit passive-aggressive, but that was not my intent.

I simply meant that making something as complex as a plane module for DCS takes a lot of time, especially for the smaller dev teams. The fact that they have other projects to take care of as well, doesn't make it easier.

Considering the attention to detail required would make a different version of F4U quite a lot of work, I'm sure. I don't know all the differences between -1D and -4, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are plentiful enough to warrant a completely separate module.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn’t take it that way mate. All good.

funnily enough I was just listening to an interview with the developers and they do have an ambition to make the F4U-4


Edited by nick10
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'll be happy with a well made F4U-1D.

Magnitude 3 isn't one of the fastest devs around, let's be honest. With some degree of MiG-21 rework, an F4U to release/finish, F-8J and likely/potentially Su-17M4 all on the waiting line to be developed later, I'd really rather see them make a good -1D, and move on to other projects, so we can enjoy them sometim this side of the century 😛

Also, I feel like a -4 could be a lot less of a close match with any Japanese bird we can potentially have in future. In a way, I feel like the closer match-up will be more fun if we ever get a Zero, Oscar, Ki-100 etc.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They should have started with the F4U-4 😉 after all all wardbirds are represented by very advanced models of each type. and it would be useful in Korea, and up to the 70s in Latin América, not to mention French Indochina.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2023 at 12:40 PM, Baco said:

They should have started with the F4U-4 😉 after all all wardbirds are represented by very advanced models of each type. and it would be useful in Korea, and up to the 70s in Latin América, not to mention French Indochina.

 

I think they 'should' have done exactly what they did, and and I'll be happier to have it rather than your suggestion for a variety of reasons.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to agree with Baco for the simple reason that the -4 fits into late WWII scenarios as well as Korea and any conflicts it participated in afterwards. But most of all, I just think that the Corsair looks so much better with 4 blades than 3 blades. Silly, I know, but it is what it is. 

  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I have to agree with Baco for the simple reason that the -4 fits into late WWII scenarios as well as Korea and any conflicts it participated in afterwards. But most of all, I just think that the Corsair looks so much better with 4 blades than 3 blades. Silly, I know, but it is what it is. 

But not so well into earlier scenarios. So using the Marianas as say a stand-in Solomons map (which is my plan)...it's out of place. Or if we get an actual Solomons map at some point.

Whereas the version they're doing can work anywhere a bit more plausibly. A 4 against an A6M is too much of a mis-match (and it's enough of one already)

 

Really to the point though, as a long time content creator, putting so much time and blood into something, then some guy comes and posts what you "should" have done instead...pretty much annoying beyond description...trust me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ETO DCS has been crammed into this late late war corner. With late 44 planes, but no correct map, mission assets etc.

 

I hope that PTO DCS will be more rounded. With the Hellcat coming too we can do 43 era fights if we get the correct map comes a long.

I think Solomons would be ideal. It works for Corsair and Hellcat. And the Wildcat if we ever get it. Aswel as P40, P39 and P38 I'd those planes ever come along. The Solomon (and surrounding area) saw fighting from Mid 42 to 44.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2023 at 10:24 PM, Gambit21 said:

But not so well into earlier scenarios. So using the Marianas as say a stand-in Solomons map (which is my plan)...it's out of place. Or if we get an actual Solomons map at some point.

Whereas the version they're doing can work anywhere a bit more plausibly. A 4 against an A6M is too much of a mis-match (and it's enough of one already)

 

Really to the point though, as a long time content creator, putting so much time and blood into something, then some guy comes and posts what you "should" have done instead...pretty much annoying beyond description...trust me. 

Sorry to annoy you so much. Its my opinion and a lot of other DCS players, that a more modern Corsair would be more suitable for what we have, now, today in DCS.

Good luck with your early war scenarios maybe 2028.. no assets (specially naval), no map, no suitable opponents,  Even EDs hellcat spells 1944/45 NOT 1943 scenarios. 

Anyway didn´t mean to Annoy or disturb you. Just stating an oppinion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Baco said:

Sorry to annoy you so much. Its my opinion and a lot of other DCS players, that a more modern Corsair would be more suitable for what we have, now, today in DCS.

Good luck with your early war scenarios maybe 2028.. no assets (specially naval), no map, no suitable opponents,  Even EDs hellcat spells 1944/45 NOT 1943 scenarios. 

Anyway didn´t mean to Annoy or disturb you. Just stating an oppinion.

 

Yes I know, I've stated my opinion on your opinion...so I guess we're done. 🙂

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, Gambit21 said:

But not so well into earlier scenarios. So using the Marianas as say a stand-in Solomons map (which is my plan)...it's out of place. Or if we get an actual Solomons map at some point.

Whereas the version they're doing can work anywhere a bit more plausibly. A 4 against an A6M is too much of a mis-match (and it's enough of one already)

 

Really to the point though, as a long time content creator, putting so much time and blood into something, then some guy comes and posts what you "should" have done instead...pretty much annoying beyond description...trust me. 

A later Corsair will also be more competitive with the 109 as well.  I'm sure they will add a carrier and the Corsair to the Normandy map for MP.  Even if it's not as realistic, it's possible, and it's more fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

42 minutes ago, PD919 said:

A later Corsair will also be more competitive with the 109 as well.  I'm sure they will add a carrier and the Corsair to the Normandy map for MP.  Even if it's not as realistic, it's possible, and it's more fun.

If we were discussing the 1/1A I would agree however on paper the 1D is competitive with the 109.

Corsair were around the western front and took part Operation Tungsten against the Tirpitz, so it definitely could have come across the Fw190, a squadron of who was meant to be covering the Tirpitz.

 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...