Tactics for HARM on SA-10 "Grumble"

LowGlow
Go to solution Solved by Gaffer_DCS,

2 minutes ago, Hobel said:

It depends, when the radar is tracking a target the beam is only 45°.  So it has been at least with sa-10, with my last tests

That's interesting, the beamwidth in its .lua is the same 1.57-ish radians (or 90°).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Is there any way to (exactly) figure out on F-16 if the radar stops emitting? How accurate is RWR (ALR-56M), does it stop showing on it, if there is no signal from the radar? 

So I can at least be sure harm has been fired when radar was locked-on to.

Edited by skywalker22

vor 20 Minuten schrieb skywalker22:

Is there any way to (exactly) figure out on F-16 if the radar stops emitting? How accurate is RWR (ALR-56M), does it stop showing on it, if there is no signal from the radar? 

So I can at least be sure harm has been fired when radar was locked-on to.

Yes there is, the radar immediately disappears from the RWR, similar also with the HTS pod.

Only the radar of DCS does not turn off without mods, as far as I know.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb Northstar98:

That's interesting, the beamwidth in its .lua is the same 1.57-ish radians (or 90°).

Maybe that's true depending on how exactly it's meant?  I will test that again.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Northstar98:

my mistake 90° is correct, when I wrote that my brain told me a circle is 180° lol

So an SA-10 can attack  5 targets within 90°

the SA-3 TR SNR-125 scan in a area  of 90°, but as soon as it locks a target, the beam is around ~4°
can therefore also only lock one target.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 24.1.2023 um 16:53 schrieb Gaffer_DCS:

Try shooting the HARM in POS mode from close range. 

Okay, I finally made this mission! No cheating, no landing, no rearming, no gun strafe, just HARM, and this video brought me on the right track, thanks! So I can confirm, it is really possible to solve this mission with exactly one HARM each to took down all 4 SAMs.

As said the first 3 SAMs are no challenge. They can be shot down each with one HARM.

The 4th and last SAM (SA-10) I took down like this:

1. Flying towards the SA-10 at around 19k feet.

2. About 20nm out the SA-10 started to fire at me, and I saw the rockets taking off by looking out of the cockpit. So I looked with the HMCS at the origin of the rockets' trails and created a mark point (by HMCS).

3. Then I immediately pressed M-SEL to select the newly created mark point as steer point and making it SPI.

4. Hard nose down to dodge the missiles fired at me, and retaining the jet at very low altitutude from this point on (e.g. 50ft).

5. Once the missiles were defeated, low level approach towards the SAM (which is now a stear point / SPI), using some terrain masking.

6. Few nm out to target, loft up with 45° until reaching around 5k ft, firing the SAM (POS mode).

7. Immediately returning back low and escaping the site.

20s later or so, the HARM took out the SA-10. Mission completed.

33 minutes ago, GafferDCS said:

OP glad you got it figured out!

I made another video the other day on the subject. FYI if you shoot between 8-10mi out the HARM will self-loft and no need to go sticking your neck out 

Cool video gaffer, never thought about doing sead this way

• Like 1

Varzat_signatur.png

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, for me the HARM did not self loft, and I was somewhere between 5..3 nm away from target. I was very low, and in Tacview I later saw that the HARM retained the same low altitude and finally simply overshot the target and impacted behind target. That's why I changed my tactic in another attempt and made a pull up attack instead, which finally succeeded.

Good that you mentioned the M-SEL button in your video by the way! Almost nobody mentions the M-SEL button in mark point videos. They always manually dobber or enter the newly created mark point number, which takes precious time in such close target situations. It's a tiny detail which makes a huge difference for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, LowGlow said:

Interesting, for me the HARM did not self loft, and I was somewhere between 5..3 nm away from target. I was very low, and in Tacview I later saw that the HARM retained the same low altitude and finally simply overshot the target and impacted behind target. That's why I changed my tactic in another attempt and made a pull up attack instead, which finally succeeded.

Thanks! 5mi is too close for the HARM to loft. 7.5 miles is about the closest you can be. You can loft it yourself by pulling the nose up. If it does not get some altitude, the chances of it hitting the target are low.

AKA Gaffer