DCS: How to gain performance on Windows Vista (Windows 7)

eV1Te

Sorry but that laptop isn't a gaming rig.

Did I ever say it was? I stated the performance experience in DCS on it, which actually mirror the ones on the hardware of that other guy using quite a bit more expensive hardware, to illustrate the absurdity of that much more expensive rig getting so low performance.

Edited by EtherealN
I'll be nice. >.<

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Disabling 1 GPU yielded interesting results. I did seem to get back about 5-6 fps. It is quite absurd that my 3d Mark Vantage score can be 23k, and I can play Crisis very high on everything and still get 60fps consistantly (1680x1050) but Black Shark basically laughs in my face with 30-40 fps over cities. Btw I do get 60 FPS in the mountains, so maybe it's a texture problem?

It's a new card so things like this can be expected, but it's basically a 280 x2 with the memory of a 260 x2. It's not like it's a G300 series chip.

...limiting factor are those many polygons - NOT the textures.....

Greets & be happy with your GT200ґs

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

Did I ever say it was? I stated the performance experience in DCS on it, which actually mirror the ones on the hardware of that other guy using quite a bit more expensive hardware, to illustrate the absurdity of that much more expensive rig getting so low performance.

Sorry my bad, need to learn to read first and then post. This is my rig:

www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_690

I know that this is not a consumer (read gaming) computer, but even with 2 Xeon's @ 2.66 Ghz and 4 GB mem plus 1 10K RPM SATA drive and a 15K RPM SAS drive (BS installed in this one) I'm just getting between 25-40 FPS. The videocard is a 8800 GT. But I'm having a blast flying the BS. :pilotfly:

PC's are strange creatures sometimes. Maybe a botched device driver is hindering his computer, but who knows for sure :(

My suspicion would actually be that the CPU just tops out. On that laptop I can fiddle with the graphics settings quite a bit and it'll only change the framerate by one or two here and there. The fact that the engine itself isn't set up to take advantage of multicores MIGHT mean that my Intel E8500 (3.16GHz) PC is theoretically better for Black Shark than the one you have there - simply through getting more clock cycles on the one core that the game will be properly using.

I haven't really looked at the Xeon architecture's capabilities though so who knows. Never easy to compare processors between architectures. The rest of the setup on this one is 4GB of DDR2 @ 800MHz, a regular SATA and a 9800GTX+. With that setup I get basically 25-40 as well and almost irrespective of the graphics settings. So I think the main things that would do wonders for Black Shark is an engine that will make full use of all cores present as well as use the PhysX features on the nVidia GPUs (and whatever AMD has that is equivalent on the Radeons) if they do not already do so.

But yeah, it really could be almost anything for that guy. :(

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Strange I'm getting a virus warning when I want to download the DCSBS affinity tool. I'm using Avast. Can anyone confirm the utter and complete overreacting of my virus scanner :D

1. first pause the standard and the web provider, reactivate them after receiving the file.

2. Do it like said by AVAST .....

".....You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):

Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.

Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):

Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.

Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.

But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger. ....

......"

Be sure to set teh EXACTLY file path for the exclusion!

AVAST is informed - hopefully they will change the false positive within the next updates.....

Greets

S@uDepp

Edited by S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

Maybe an administrator could change the name of the thread to (or similar):

• DCS: How to gain performance on Windows Vista (Windows 7)

I think that suites the content of the tread more and maybe more people with Vista can discover it and therefore have a more pleasant gaming experience. :thumbup:

Also if possible make it a sticky!

Maybe an administrator could change the name of the thread to (or similar):

• DCS: How to gain performance on Windows Vista (Windows 7)

I think that suites the content of the tread more and maybe more people with Vista can discover it and therefore have a more pleasant gaming experience. :thumbup:

Also if possible make it a sticky!

Vista is Win6 ..... Win7 is the new one (beta) .....

Greets

S@uDepp

Vista is Win6 ..... Win7 is the new one (beta) .....

Greets

S@uDepp

Yes that's correct kind of, but Vista isn't called Windows 6, it's only the new Windows that has a version number in the official name "Windows 7" :thumbup:

No, as far as I am aware, no FPS improvement is possible on XP from setting multiple cores. In addition, the script uses a command that only exists in Vista, so it won't even run on XP.

Ehm... I'm on XP SP2.... Dual Cores... and when I set 2 cores affinity I got 15 fps more (total: 35). This sounds as an Improved performance, to me.

It seems that cores affinity improved performances It's more related to your hardware when you run XP (RAM, Motherboard...).

Salù

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Ehm... I'm on XP SP2.... Dual Cores... and when I set 2 cores affinity I got 15 fps more (total: 35). This sounds as an Improved performance, to me.

It seems that cores affinity improved performances It's more related to your hardware when you run XP (RAM, Motherboard...).

Salù

Thats interesting and good to know.:thumbup: You are the first person I have seen report this, and I know it had no effect on my PC...

Thats interesting and good to know.:thumbup: You are the first person I have seen report this, and I know it had no effect on my PC...

I don't know if it will be useful... but..

Intel E6400 2,13 GHz;

ASUS P5K motherboard

4 Gb Ram (750 Mb fixed for Win)

WinXP 32bit

nVidia 9800 GTX

One thing that I Can't understand... BS use always something like 450 Mb / 600 Mb of RAMs... can I improve performance if I find some method to force it use 2 Gb (example)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

I don't know if it will be useful... but..

Intel E6400 2,13 GHz;

ASUS P5K motherboard

4 Gb Ram (750 Mb fixed for Win)

WinXP 32bit

nVidia 9800 GTX

One thing that I Can't understand... BS use always something like 450 Mb / 600 Mb of RAMs... can I improve performance if I find some method to force it use 2 Gb (example)

!? The memory footprint is the memory footprint, it's using the amount of memory it needs in order to complete the tasks it's being asked to complete. You can't force an application to consume more memory, it would be absolutely pointless.

i dunno whats going on but my comodo anti virus is now alerting me to a backdoor.win32.bitfrose virus. within the exe of the affinity tool, but my search and destroy picks up nothing.

anyone got any idea or same issue?

Asus P8P67-M Pro, i7 2600K@4.6Ghz, 4gb Vengence Ram, Gainward GTX 580 3gb Phantom, Win7 64 Ultimate, Warthog Control System.

Trackir 5 Pro, Saitek Combat Pedals.

I would think it's a false warning, the anti virus software maybe senses that this exe is made to change the cpu affinity of another program (which could be classed as a security risk depending on what you change the affinity of)

I added some new information to the main post...

New Stuff 2009-01-29:

• Reducing Shadows to Active Planar instead of Full gives me a few extra FPS

• Reducing Water reflection to Normal instead of High gives me a few extra FPS

• Playing in full screen instead of windowed (which i usually do in games) gives me an 15-20 FPS boost (even though full screen is at a higher resolution than windowed)

Edited by eV1Te

....then try to disable visual designs temporary too! (right click on shortcut -->campatibility)

Greets

S@uDepp

Hi,

I downloaded and used Jesse's program for about a week which worked great and was easy to use. Today i found it was deleted from my windows and wheni tried to re download it my AVG anti virus kept reporting a virus and would not allow to overide it. I see on Jesse's page that this might be a false reporting problem with some anti virus softeware. Any one else have this problem and a work around, as it is so good i want to keep using it? !

thanks

drummer

Stop using antivirus software. I've been using PCs since 1994, building PCs since 1998, never used antivirus software, never had a virus. My main problem in my work PC is the centrally managed antivirus, it's intrusive and blocks completely random stuff left and right...

• Like 1