A-7D

upyr1

Oh, Bremspropeller, you shouldn't have posted that article.  Now I want that "D".  😆  I know it would be a year, at least, after the "E"...if, IF they decided to do the "D" at all.  It just seems like once they do all that work for the A-7E, they are just that close to the "D" and have all that A-7 knowledge fresh in mind.  It's not like starting a whole new aircraft, it can't be.  The differences may be significant, I don't know, but release it as a separate module.  So, if they are like $69 each, have a $30 discount on the "D" (when/if it comes out) if you already own the "E"...or both for $108.  This is one aircraft where both versions were significant.  The F-4 Phantom II is another.  But HB says they will do at least a couple versions of the F-4, eventually.

I am sure that it would not be worthwhile to develop a "D" after an "E". They are much too similar for that. There are enough other alternatives that would be more worthwhile. I, for example, would certainly not buy a second A-7 just to have the "feeling" of flying the Air Force variant. Especially since I can land on land with an "E", but not on carriers with a "D". 😉

It might be worthwhile to make a D in addition to an E, like what HB did with the F-14. The differences are not very significant, in fact, given that modeling the engines is a big deal, one could say they're less than between F-14A and B. This is a good growth option for the module.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sparrow88 said:

At glance it looks they are so similar it would be easy to just slap an air force livery on the E variant and be done with it.

While I agree with that sentiment, consider this; you could conceivably say the same thing about the F-4E coming out (just slap a navy paint job on it) but imagine the bummer of having to cuddle up behind a KC-135 for some fuel. The problem would be exactly the same for the A-7D enthusiasts only in reverse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, AG-51_Razor said:

While I agree with that sentiment, consider this; you could conceivably say the same thing about the F-4E coming out (just slap a navy paint job on it) but imagine the bummer of having to cuddle up behind a KC-135 for some fuel. The problem would be exactly the same for the A-7D enthusiasts only in reverse.

Not exactly true since you can land on the ground in navy jets but yeah I get your point. 

On the other hand A7 seems like a niche module already and I doubt adding USAF variant would increase it sales much but obviously the more detailed modules we have the better.

• Like 1

I would rather like to see other aircraft than any particular other variant.
Especially if they are as close together as stated here and only have minor differences.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

you could conceivably say the same thing about the F-4E coming out (just slap a navy paint job on it)

Don't think so. Of course there would be external differences between -7D and -7E, but the Phantom will have a completely different radar and nose section and no gun for example.

If the 7D vs. 7E is about joining another tanker + turning doppler &/or something else off, I'll miss out.
Sorry, I don't know any details, up to now nobody really explained here, what are the differences.

I can still join a 135MPRS or KC-10, if they ever add that back to the game...

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 2:03 PM, sparrow88 said:

Not exactly true since you can land on the ground in navy jets but yeah I get your point. 

On the other hand A7 seems like a niche module already and I doubt adding USAF variant would increase it sales much but obviously the more detailed modules we have the better.

It's about as niche as the Tomcat. It may not have featured prominently in a movie. But it sure made alot of history. They provided SEAD support for Eldorado Canyon, took part in the one day destruction of the Iranian Navy, and did both SEAD and pinpoint strike missions in Desert Storm. That isn't even the half of it. If your Tomcat was on a carrier deck in the 80's there were A-7Es on that deck as well. Those two modules are going to go together like a hand and glove on cold war servers. IRL the SLUF had quite the busy and distinguished career. 

Edited by FlankerKiller

• 1 year later...

Can I just ask, how would the A-7 lovers feel about getting the A-7D with the A-7E cockpit in it?

Personally I want the A-7 series for AI companions to my F-14s and upcoming F-4E, but I would like to have the D and maybe even A and/or B versions, even if they're fudged a little bit.

Kinda like how I'd love to have a flyable navy F-4 some day.  If it meant I had to deal with an E model cockpit or not have it at all, well..."squint harder"?

(Something bragging about my system specs or DCS fantasy flying ability belongs here)