Clear Canopy Glass

Updated 3/22/23

Makes canopy glass clear.  Should apply to all modules but only tested on A10C-II, Hornet, A4E-C, Black Shark 3, and Viper.

image.gif

Adjustments:

• Last value of line 101 adjusts opacity.  Default is 1 and 0 will be completely clear.  Mod is preset to 0.2.
  • Shadow on the glass is removed by default for better frame rate.  If you want to restore the shadow, remove the comments (//) at beginning of line 88 and 89.

Notes:  

• This mod may also affect MFD and HUD glass if the module uses same material.
  • Does not pass IC as of DCS 2.8.5 on 5/18/23

Install:  Extract to DCS Main install path or use Mod manager.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 20

Does this work with all modules and mods? Quick! Post this onto the User Files area!

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

36 minutes ago, tripod3 said:

I've copied this mod into bazar main directory and now whant to roll back to original glass. Because of feeleng like in open space and without glass at all.

Oh, I see, and you forgot to backup.

Try the slow dcs full repair.

Edited by tomcat_driver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tripod3 said:

I've copied this mod into bazar main directory and now whant to roll back to original glass. Because of feeleng like in open space and without glass at all.

That's why for all mod going in DCS core it's better to use a mod manager like OvGME 😉 And did see you could edit opacity ??

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 2

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

Tested last night, kills the odd low resolution reflections in the KA50 glass (with line 87/88 commented out) and gives clear glass.  Might tweak the 0.2 value yet but it does exactly what it says on the tin 🙂

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

so turning off the shadows on the canopy glass saves about 1ms on the GPU and CPU for me... 

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I'd not tested that myself yet but I did notice I was getting good performance last night during quick testing.  Will try to corroborate tonight 🙂

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

In case anyone who cannot find this gem, here it is:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3328443/

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I also am using this mod, to essentially remove shadows outside of the canopy, set shadows to medium (the will be hi res in the cockpit, but no cascades, or very few, outside the cockpit) note that this will not deal with the "soft flat shadows" issues which seem to be completely separate 

Shadows Reduced Frame Rate Impact v2.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I've also seen a reduction in CPU and GPU frametimes from disabling the canopy shadows, getting on to 1ms on both which can help quite a bit!

• Like 2

Dear @Taz1004,

Seems awesome but I can't get it to work with 2.7.18.  Do you have a different version for pre-2.8.1?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Never mind, I found the lines in the 2.7.18 file version, they are the same but elsewhere.  Even in 2.7.18 there is a noticeable improvement, I gained 3 FPS in the F-18.

This is very good and almost gets me to go back to 2.8.1...  Almost.     

• Like 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.