Winwing F16 Throttle questions.

ak22

I current have thrustmaster warthog throttle and fly planes and helicopters, I always wanted a F-16 throttle but I'm worried it won't suit flying helicopters due to the travel distance in mil power? I know you can buy a helicopter grip but I don't want to be swapping them around. 

1. What is the travel distance like in mil power compared to warthog ? 
  2. How has your throttle held up? 
  3. If you owned Virpil CM2/3 and Winwing f-16 throttle how do they compare? 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't really compare to the Warthog, I never had one. I haven't tried any helicopters yet, still, I really like my F-16 throttle. The travel is fairly long, apparently quite close to the real thing. The detents are very satisfying, with only downside being that if you fly an afterburner-less plane (like the Harrier or the L-39) you either have a meaningless detent or have to recalibrate the axis. Also, the detent plate has to be adjusted carefully.
The handle is fairly heavy, which feels great but in can move  y it's weight if you don't put enough friction, if you put too much, c there can be some stiction. Overall, it feels much better than the Hornet handle (I tried my brother's unit) although the button layout of the Hornet would probably suit my Mirage better...

On 1/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, Delta-canard said:

Can't really compare to the Warthog, I never had one. I haven't tried any helicopters yet, still, I really like my F-16 throttle. The travel is fairly long, apparently quite close to the real thing. The detents are very satisfying, with only downside being that if you fly an afterburner-less plane (like the Harrier or the L-39) you either have a meaningless detent or have to recalibrate the axis. Also, the detent plate has to be adjusted carefully.
The handle is fairly heavy, which feels great but in can move  y it's weight if you don't put enough friction, if you put too much, c there can be some stiction. Overall, it feels much better than the Hornet handle (I tried my brother's unit) although the button layout of the Hornet would probably suit my Mirage better...

Thanks for the reply have flown planes without afterbunder and recalibrate the axes? Do you feel thier is enough travel?

On 2/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, ak22 said:

Thanks for the reply have flown planes without afterbunder and recalibrate the axes? Do you feel thier is enough travel?

I can hardly compare to any other serious throttle. At first I was using only the dry power range of the throttle in the L-39 and really didn't miss the extra travel, it seems that it's still longer than lower end/older throttles such as TWCS or the CH Throttle. I then moved to faster jets, got the detent calibrated for the Mirage and the JF-17 abd just operated the detent when I got back to the L-39; It isn't really satisfactory, I will have to find something more consistent if I get serously into the Harrier or pick up the Kursant campain. Not sure about it, but this may be an advantage of the F-18 handle, I wonder if you can't just remove the afterburner detent while keeping the cutoff/idle one

• Thanks 1

It works really well for the F-16 (especially because you get a knob control for the radar elevation which is what the F-16 uses).  Unfortunately it's not really friendly to other aircraft (or at least switching back and forth).